Yongnuos off-camera

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I'm pretty much a complete novice to external flashes (bar my macro flash) and am looking into getting a couple of Yongnuo YN-560 II's to use off camera (Canon 6D).
Here's my problem - the 6D doesn't have in-built wireless flash control and I'm looking into using both flashes away from the camera. Can anyone recommend a method of firing them?
I've looked at wireless transceivers but, to be completely honest, am a bit lost with what exactly to look for in them. Would it be possible to use an off-camera cord attached to one, which could be used as a master to control the other as a slave?
Thanks in advance.

Simon

The 6D doesn't have it? That's odd...

Ah, no pop-up flash. I didn't know that.

In simple terms - -Yongnuo RF603's

heres an ebay link to a bundle of 3 (1 for camera and 2 for your flashes)...
Or just get two 603's... one for your camera and one for remote control - and then get the new Yongnuo 560-III (build-in receiver) instead of the II-version...

Best of luck! (y)

They are slightly more expensive (only slightly) but go for the 622's rather than the 603's. The 622s give in camera control of the flashes including TTL control which the 603s don't do.

I'd also recommend looking at the YN-568 flash with is the Yongnuo equivalent of the 580EXII. I have a YN-568 and 580EXII and I happily use either of them and get the same results.

I bought a set of LF106 triggers from Amazon (link) for £14.48, which work fine with my XP1 and two YN560IIs.

They are slightly more expensive (only slightly) but go for the 622's rather than the 603's. The 622s give in camera control of the flashes including TTL control which the 603s don't do.

I'd also recommend looking at the YN-568 flash with is the Yongnuo equivalent of the 580EXII. I have a YN-568 and 580EXII and I happily use either of them and get the same results.

That set up may be a budget killer though.

OP - what is your budget?

I use 2x Yongnuo 460Mk2 with the RF 602's with my 40D and it works great. Haven't looked into triggering the camera remotely though.

I have 2 Yongnuo 560III flashes and a set of RF603 triggers, works a treat(y) I only need the one 603 trigger on the camera as the 560iii flashes have built in recievers so saves a tiny bit of space in my bag as well.

Thanks for all of the help guys. My budget would be around £200, which would also have to cover the flashes so I think YN-568 would be a bit too much.
I'm not too bothered about TTL as these will be used for indoor 'studio' type work of products etc (not portraits) so I can take my time with getting it all set up correctly.
The 560 III with RF-603 trigger combination looks appealing to me at the minute.

Simon

Thanks for all of the help guys. My budget would be around £200, which would also have to cover the flashes so I think YN-568 would be a bit too much.
I'm not too bothered about TTL as these will be used for indoor 'studio' type work of products etc (not portraits) so I can take my time with getting it all set up correctly.
The 560 III with RF-603 trigger combination looks appealing to me at the minute.

Simon

Yeh that combo works a treat for me. I would recommend getting some decent rechargeable batteries though for the flashes. I have some 2400mAh Energizer ones in mine and they give a good recycle time even when the flashes are set on full power. I tried some cheaper ones and it took longer for the flash to "charge" up. Also with that set up you wouldn't need to get a set of 3 triggers. You only need one on the camera as the 560iii flashes have built in receivers(y)

I have moved house since I bought my triggers and I know I had one RF603 lying around somewhere. If you give me till tonight I can try to look it out and you can have it. Don't get your hopes up too much though as I might not find it, everywhere is a tip at the moment and not sure where it is but I'll have a nosey around.

Wow, that's a very kind offer Paul. Thank you. I've got some good Energizer rechargeables so that shouldn't be a problem.

Simon

I won't need it so someone else may as well get some use out of it. If you give me till tonight to find it. If I can't find it today to be honest I don't have a clue where it will be lol. Lost tones of other stuff as well moving house.

I use 2 RF 603's. 1 is on my camera and the other is on a Yongnuo 565ex. My 560 III has an RF 603 built in and it all works great together.

Very cheap for what they do

Buy Syl Arenas book - the bible of "off camera flash" for canon users. I am Nikon, but bought it and have learned loads.

Then buy two YN 622 triggers

Last edited:
Back