Yorkshire dales, settle/clapham

Name
Rich Robson
Edit My Images
No
Hey,

I'm spending the coming weekend in the Yorkshire dales and wondered if anyone has any ideas on interesting locations they could pass my way? I'm aware of the usual places such as Ingleton falls, Bolton abbey, malham, Janet's foss, lone tree/boulder and I've seen the numerous threads on tp. It's more the locations that aren't done to death that I'm wanting to scout out and visit. (If there are none then i'll have to do the usual places more to death). Hoping to go for a long (15-25 mile) walk from our digs in clapham on Saturday, so locations within this radius needed, and on Sunday morning hopefully we'll have a walk around some of the villages in the area, so suggestions also needed for quaint little picturesque villages please.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Rich

If you are looking at a longish walk with something different you could head out to Barbon Manor, North of Kirby Longsdale. On Saturday it holds a round of the British Hillclimbing championship.

Don't know the area over that side of the dales so well, but I can recommend the northern dales if you fancy a drive out on Sunday. over to Hawes and you have the possibility of walks in Wensleydale, swaledale or arkengarthdale. I know swaledale the better of the three, it's pretty quiet compared to the other dales. You have nice walks out from Muker, Keld, or Gunnerside, and nice walking around Reeth and Fremington edge. also don't forget to check if there are any steam trains passing on the settle to Carlisle line over the weekend. Good to watch over Ribbleshead.
In Wensleydale, I like a stroll around Semer water, and there are some nice pubs for some snap. also, a nice quiet dale is To be found from Hawes through Gayle and Follow the road up and over.....perhaps it's called Coverdale. Not spent much time there, but it looks nice quiet terrain.
Plenty of waterfalls in both Swaledale and Wensleydale if that's your sort of thing. still quite a lot of water in the rivers.
Obviously, don't discount a hill climb.

Well Clapham itself is quite photogenic, waterfall, lake, clapham estate, then a walk away, ingleborough cave, trow ghyll, norber erratics, gaping ghyll. A little further away theres stainforth force, the hoffman kiln (where the light painting and wire wool meets go) catrigg force, scalaber force, victoria cave, attamire scar, a falconry center on the A65, settle station, steam loco every wed on the settle carlisle line, plenty to do around clapham without going too far!
And yes, I do go there a lot!

Back