Yorkshire wildlife center

Name
mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Some lens advice please from any one that has been here,i only want to take one lens and not having been before wonder which would be the best for most of the situations ,i have a choice of two the sigma 120-400 or the nikon 55-300, its just possible i may have the Tamron 16-300 by then so its a choice between the first two and then would the tamron overrule your choice if i get it.

Thanks

Disclaimer: I don't own any of those lenses so I can't be a judge on their quality, and I've never been to Yorkshire Wldlife Park to know the lay of the land.

I think unless you're trying to tell a story that has the zoo as part of the narrative, you're more likely to find yourself wanting extra telephoto reach rather than more wide-angle bredth. So unless you feel the Nikon gives superior results at a particular focal length or notably better auto-focus, I'd be tempted to go with the Sigma.

I went a few weeks ago with my 300mm. I also has a 1.4 teleconverter with me (I was using a crop 70D camera)

The lens was fine for the big cats but I really missed a wider angle for the up close animals like Lemurs and monkeys. I found myself backing up to get them in shot and with lots of people about it is hard to keep a clear path between you and the subject.

The 400 top end would be useful for lions / tiger and leopard. It all depends on where they sit in the enclosure.

Dave.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,i really wanted to take the sigma so may just do that and hope 120mm is short enough.

I know you said you only wanted to take a single lens, but do you have a small 50mm prime or similar you could stick in a pocket or bag without adding too much weight?

Back