Votes: 21 67.7%
  • No.2

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
In an attempt to improve our rudimentary photography skills, my girlfriend and I have embarked on a weekly photo competition, based on consecutive alphabetic themes. The challenge being to take photo's that are technically competent and that stretch us creatively :D

We alternate each week who chooses the theme, which has to begin with the next letter of the alphabet. We have one week to complete, prior to sharing, but thought that external review from fellow TP'ers would also be helpful. :help:

So, i have attached both submissions for week 1 - Angel, below, and invite feedback and critique if you so wish, or just comment on which you prefer (y)

angel2e_zps58b00d5e.jpg

angel2m_zps3f69dbae.jpg

thanks for looking and for any feedback or comments ;)

(we are actually at week 4, so i will post the B, C & D entries up shortly.)

M

like no.1 best but not sure about the blurring at the edges

the book should have more focus on a whole word rather than just part of one (my opinion anyway) - the dappled light is good though :)

Thanks Sturisoma :D much appreciated.

The light falling on the book was a shadow cast by a cut-out of an angel, but i think it came across as being too subtle :(

thanks again.

M

ah no I can see the angel, wasn't sure before - I think the book cover itself is distracting from the shadow, but clever idea :)

Best = No 1, again don't like the Blur though. The book would have worked if the emphasis was on the shadow - I presumed this could have been part of the cover as standard though. The book could be fixed in your house, an easy find, the first pic however means you had to go out and find it, more effort is instantly captured.

lol I disagree Tony - I think more, or as much, effort was required to get the book shot - I've done this with a crucifix and bible - lots of effort required :)

thanks again for the feedback both. Uberdude, in my defence i was a bit 'housebound' when the photo was taken (well that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it ;))

cheers,

M

No.2 for me here (y)

I find the edge blur too distracting in the first and like the angel shadow in the second.

i like both, though would prefer the first without the blur.

nice work, will be interesting to see how it goes and improvements between the start of the little compo and the end of it. :)

Thanks Carl - also hoping that we can track progress and improvement over the competition. It's certainly proving to be more of a creative challenge (which is the purpose :LOL:)

cheers,

M

Although I've always hated the vaseline on the lens look, at least some of #1 is sharp! Quite a clever concept in #2 (I saw the angel shadow), let down by softness.

Number 1 wins it for me.

The gothic, moody look works, but the blur around the edges is a little too strong for my taste.

The second one is nicely moody, but the sharpening of the word 'Angels' is perhaps too pronounced. Makes it jump off the page, but the silhouette of the angel is a too subtle. I only picked up on it when reading the other comments on the images. Perhaps less blur on that one too.

:)

Thanks Tengu01 - much appreciated feedback(y)

feel free to browse the previous entries, we welcome comments, critique, straight forward likes & dislikes, or simply votes :D

thanks again,

M

Potentially the 2nd image is best imo but its just not quite right possibly too dark. The first is ok but, as others have said, dislike the blurring effect maybe a motion blur might have worked better :)

Steve

Back