which do you prefer?

Votes: 5 18.5%

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
In an attempt to improve our rudimentary photography skills, my girlfriend and I have embarked on a weekly photo competition, based on consecutive alphabetic themes. The challenge being to take photo's that are technically competent and that stretch us creatively.

We alternate each week who chooses the theme, which has to begin with the next letter of the alphabet. We have one week to complete, prior to sharing, but thought that external review from fellow TP'ers would also be helpful. :help:

And so onto this week's theme - Listening

A double challenge for us this week combining the theme with street photography, which neither of us had attempted before :(

please let us have any feedback, critique, or just vote which you prefer

listene.jpg

listenm.jpg

As always, thanks for looking, all feedback appreciated, or just a quick vote via the poll (y)

Thanks to all that have viewed, commented and voted on the previous weeks theme's :love:

M

one looks to be very soft....

I am guessing you focussed on him, but between AF and clicking he got closer, hence soft... whenever I do street stuff, I slip into AF-C - which constantly refocuses... (good for sport as well!)

How comfortable did you feel doing "street"..?

I can do it easily in London or Cambridge... but Norwich is very challenging...

Thanks Lynton.

We both commented that although we weren't doing anything wrong it still felt 'awkward'...

I tried to position myself out of the way and kept my camera held by my waist until I spotted a potential shot, and then took the shot as quickly as possible! I assume it gets easier with practice, or when in a more 'touristy' location :)

M

Now this is an interesting one.

For photographic sharpness - I prefer the second image. It's better processed and the sharpening makes the subject pop out nicely.

However, the first image speaks the theme 'Listening' better than the second. In the first one, the subject is actively concentrating and obviously listening to something. The subject of the second could be listening, or could just be standing there.

#1 for better adherence to the title of the challenge. #2 for sharpness of capture.

:)

Keep it up

Now this is an interesting one.

For photographic sharpness - I prefer the second image. It's better processed and the sharpening makes the subject pop out nicely.

However, the first image speaks the theme 'Listening' better than the second. In the first one, the subject is actively concentrating and obviously listening to something. The subject of the second could be listening, or could just be standing there.

#1 for better adherence to the title of the challenge. #2 for sharpness of capture.

:)

Keep it up

Agree with this 100%!

Got to be #2. #1 is far too OOF or otherwise not sharp. Besides, the gentleman could equally well be talking rather than listening!

Mark, are all the blurry ones from the same person/camera? It may not be operator error.

Number 2 for me, the contrast / toning really suits the image (y). Number 1 is too OOF for my taste..... Been a while since I did any street candids, I know it's not an easy task.

Are you going to reveal who took which images and the final scoring once you get to 'Z'?

Thanks Nick for the feedback(y)

current thought is to do a round up once we complete the alphabet, maybe also throw in some that didn't make the cut (you never know, they may be more popular than the ones we submitted!:D)

cheers,

M

Back