you choose a title

Name
Sye
Edit My Images
Yes
been a while since i've posted anything

sold most of my decent stuff to start my business :crying:

left with a 40d and niddy fiddy but still at it although i seriously miss my L's.

cakee by Sye Davies

If you're looking for an ego massage you'll have to post better photos than that. Grow up.

Your photo is underexposed, dull and uninteresting. The foreground is far too distracting and I feel its cropped too tight.

Dont take that personally, this is the "Feedback and Critique" forum.

Last edited:
i see the forum is still as friendly as ever :exit::banana:

Hmmm, well, as above there are a lot is issues with the photograph. The subject appears to be the kid, but the highlights from the buns prevents me getting past them. The hand poking in from the right distracts. I do like the look in his face, as if he's been caught out.

Cheers.

If you're looking for an ego massage you'll have to post better photos than that. Grow up.

not at all....i can do that all by myself. Thanks for the life advice.....i rest my case.

Thanks for the feedback on the photo all....much appreciated:)

Last edited:
I tend to agree re the photo, but not Gary's ignorant comment. As far as I can see all Sye was saying was that feedback (good or bad), is thin on the ground, which is certainly true. I saw no request for any kind of massage.

I love the expression on the boy's face, and the idea of the shot, but his face is too dark to make the shot come alive. I'm drawn to the lighter background.

cheers mark.....in hindsight maybe this is in the wrong section. there was no thought on shot set up.....its more of a snapshot to be fair and i whole heartedly agree with all points raised.....no matter how tactfully they have been expressed.

thanks for taking the time to respond.

Its people like 'Gaz' that make this forum, well, a bit ****.

There are plenty of people on here that offer constructive criticism, which is what we're all after, but saying things like that just makes you sound like a bell end and ruins the forum for everyone else. Personally I think you're the one that needs to grow up.

Re the photo. It is under exposed, the highlights on the cakes are distracting, and the framing isn't the best, and thats all that needs to be said, in the nicest way possible.

Takes a big man to apologise on an open forum - well done methinks you've earned some brownie points

Agreed 100%. Water under the bridge now I recon.

This snapshot is a cracking record of a point in time in this little boys life and can be salvaged despite the negative comments above, I mean its not that bad really!!!!

Here's a very quick edit in Photoshop- not meant to be perfect, just an example ;)

I shall of course, remove this Sye if you so wish

Les (y)

Nice candid show of a child doing what children like to do.

My advice in these situations would be to pop the on board flash and dial in at least minus half a stop exposure compensation. Just puts in enough light to lift the image a bit.

Also use some positive exposure compensation at all times when photographing Caucasian skin, especially if using a single focus point on the 40d. Infact my 40d needed +1/2 a stop EC at all times to get nicely exposed images.

HTH

David

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply guys.....much appreciated.

Firstly and most importantly I very quickly received a pm from Gaz apologizing for his comment. It takes a stand up bloke to do that and I thank him for that. At the end of the day....im a big boy and its water off a ducks back.

The image really is posted in the wrong place......it is technically a poor one. I suppose you get carried away when the subject belongs to you. I liked the expression, especially when he is in front of a dozen choccy cakes. there was not thought or set up to the shot.....i just grabbed the camera and shot blind cause moments like that are split second.

I have been a member a while and while no expert have produced shots like

contemplation by Sye Davies

a chameleon called bob by Sye Davies

and while nowhere near perfect do show i have a little understanding of the black box in front of my eye.

i have received a couple of other pms from members about critique.....each to their own i suppose.

Photography is a personal thing (especially to me.....dont be fooled by the water mark.....i dont want to be pro.....couldn't take the pressure for starters) and to me its just art. thats it....all it ever will be.

I bet every artist produces a right load of codswallop from time to time........the top 40 is full of it.

keep shooting peeps.....whether or not you choose to share it on here is up to you.

thanks again.

For me.. there's nothing in focus. His eyes, face, the cake.. nothing of importance is in focus... except his left hand.... right at the edge of the frame... that's lovely and sharp :)

Your processing is not doing you any favours either, as you have darkened some saturated highlights around his hair, and as a result, they've just gone grey.

It has poor white balance, and the composition is confusing.

It's not doing anything for me, sorry.

Back