You do the math(s).

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
My contract with Vodafone is about finished and on Monday gone, they called with a deal to offer in order for me to stay, (currently at 10 years). They've offered me a new phone and better package and to celebrate my 10 years, the whole 2 year deal is £30 per month, or, I can go sim only for £13.50 PM. If I take the sim only deal and buy the phone offered outright, it only comes to £20.35 PM. But, they can't supply that phone on a PAYG package? I declined and asked for a PAC code. Yesterday, they called again, offering me the same deal, but on two phones of a lesser spec, having read the reviews, there was issues with both and the build quality was rubbish on both, I declined again and put the phone down. Today, they've called me a few times, this time, they asked me what phone I wanted and what I would be willing to pay, I've already checked on their website and there isn't any that I like or offer the spec I want, the Samsungs are just a money spinner for them and the last one I had was rubbish. I've been running Motorola Moto G phones for a few years and have been very impressed, the new Moto G6 and G6 Plus are going to be available in a few days, (and I know the prices), so, I said, I'll take the G6 Plus and pay you £20 per month. The price I was told, would be at least £36 per month with this phone. This would be £864 over 24 months, subtract the price to go sim only and this would be putting the cost of the handset to around £540, that's more than double the price I was given by an insider for the handset.

Greedy barskets.

can't you buy the handset you want from another PAYG carrier (will be unlocked) and have the sim only deal from Vodafone?

That's what I have done on last 3(?) iphones. bought from apple outright and on PAYG or SIM only deal.

I really don't understand this willingness to pay £20+ per month for a mobile service but then again I have never hankered after the latest mobile technology so running a 3 year old iPhone 5S is good - it does everything I want it to do perfectly well.

My wife and I have been on SIM only deals with Virgin Mobile for years - 1Gb of data, unlimited texts and calls to other Virgin/EE mobiles/land lines and 250mins of calls to other mobiles/land lines. £6.27 per month after discounts.

I'm not criticising anyone that feels the need to enter into these extortionate contract - I just don't see why :(

I'm still running my Samsung s5, good phone, that I bought from a colleague for £100, then I have a monthly contract for £11.50.
Trouble is, new phones are expensive, so that's what you're paying for on these deals.
If I find a newer Samsung at a decent price when the 9 comes out I might pick one up.

SIM only every day for me, this forum has loads of people selling mint phones for reasonable just avoid used apple stuff.
I buy used Samsung with user replacable batteries and EE sim for 8.99 a month

Sim only for us as well some good deals about now
Agree the Samsung S5 is a good phone but my wife and I have been unlucky with ours
Both have developed a faulty screen it flickers and can be unusable we now use different phones

That's what I have done on last 3(?) iphones. bought from apple outright and on PAYG or SIM only deal.
This is what I have been doing for a while too.

Currently on a sim only deal 8gb of data, unlimited calls and texts for £10 a month.

PAYG for me. Being a cheapskate and not needing to be connected everywhere I go, I pay about £20. Every 6 months. Don't like talking on the phone so it's mainly used for texting.

Depends on the phone you want, but a few years ago buying an iPhone outright and a sim only worked out almost as much as a contract (same minutes, texts and data) over a 2 year period.

Whether that rings true now or not I've not been bothered to check as I'm on £18 unlimited data sim only and a £300 oneplus.

PAYG monthly with Giffgaff for me, and buying phones outright. Makes for the best deal by far to buy your own phone.

Currently on the lookout in classifieds for a new galaxy note [emoji16]

Back