You have £1000 to spend...

I'm quite interested in this thread as this is about the budget I'll have next month to start a new kit :)
At the moment I can't decide between a Fuji X-t1, a Sony a7 or a Canon 6d. Or maybe something completely different.

Camera wise I'd like a X100t to go with my X-T1. Otherwise I'd like a 50-140 f/2.8 Fuji lens.

How on earth did this thread get onto the subject of where to go on holiday?? The OP asked "if you had £1000 to spend on a camera what would it be and why?"
True, but in the spirit of the forum we put it right for him ;)

If i was given the money specifically just to purchase a camera, then i'd choose a Leica M4/5/6 as I don't own a film camera and already own rangefinder lenses.

Fuji XT-1 or Olympus EM5II if your weak
Nikon 7200 or D610 if you want Nikon Gear

FZ1000 and save change for a bag and memory cards and other goodies do anything camera.

Any been left out ;) haha, sorry... :)

I am drawn to the dark side.... and long for a single camera and lens solution. Happiness is a bag under 20Kg!

Ok. assuming I had to buy a new camera, and assuming that I didn't already have any camera equipment I'd probably go for an EOS 760d body, EF 17-55 f/2.8 lens and if there is any money left over a 50mm f/1.8 STM

How on earth did this thread get onto the subject of where to go on holiday?? The OP asked "if you had £1000 to spend on a camera what would it be and why?"
Because we all too often obsess over kit and forget about some of the most important things about photography, like having something decent and worthwhile to shoot with it.

D700 and Sigma 35mm 1.4 A.

If that felt a little restrictive, perhaps swap the Sigma out and try for either a 35mm FX 1.8 plus an 85mm 1.8G for similar money. Or if not possible a 35mm f2 AFD plus the 85mm

But that's just me, no good for macro, or sports but that isn't what I shoot :)

Fuji x100T, the x100 got me back into photography but was flawed so the T is simply perfect to my eyes and with the converters in your pocket all bases covered :)

RX100, plane ticket somewhere in Europe, spending money and a cheap hotel :)
I'd go for an RX10 rather than the RX100 but that would still leave £400 to travel with.
Or one could just spend the lot on an RX10 II.

Because we all too often obsess over kit and forget about some of the most important things about photography, like having something decent and worthwhile to shoot with it.

Just researched Tom Hunter, who says: “Anthropologists going off to deepest darkest Africa to see other cultures don’t realise what’s going on on their own doorstep.”
http://www.tomhunter.org/

Tricky question really, £1000 sounds like a nice wedge of cash but in the camera world it doesn't amount to much especially if you're using full frame, it would buy you something good 'used' but you any already have that's perfect camera in your own opinion and within that price bracket, can't say there's anything I'd spend a grand on when it comes to a new camera but I'm sure I'd find a few accessories to spend the money on instead, maybe a used 85mm / a few light stands/ Godoy wistro? ............the list goes on.

I'd spend it in the classifieds here, because I already have enough posts... ;) :p

(Just kidding by the way, I'm not accusing the OP of anything)

Fuji X100T or Sony RX100IV for me. Purely for the portability - sick of the weight of dslrs......

For me right now it would be a pocket camera ... the Sony RX100 (II or III) or the Ricoh GR with the wide angle attachment.

£ left over would buy a new or used Nikon lens (?) for my D3200 .... I don't have a D3200 but the OP @Gaz does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gaz
The reason i asked is.. I want a new camera and currently looking at the Fuji XT1 to replace my nikon D3200 and was interested to see how others would spend their money on " gear ".

Thank you for your comments even the sarcastic ones .

The reason i asked is.. I want a new camera and currently looking at the Fuji XT1 to replace my nikon D3200 and was interested to see how others would spend their money on " gear ".
I have to ask why you want to replace the D3200? You've already got a perfectly capable body so I'd consider spending some of the £1,000 on more/better lenses and the rest no training/days out to photograph.

If you really need a new body, why not stay with Nikon and keep your existing glass? Changing systems is an expensive job and you probably won't have much better kit left at the end of it if you budget is 'only' £1,000.

----

Keeping in spirit of the thread, I'd be thinking about a Rx100mk4 and a full spectrum/IR premium compact.

Last edited:
I have to ask why you want to replace the D3200? You've already got a perfectly capable body so I'd consider spending some of the £1,000 on more/better lenses and the rest no training/days out to photograph.

If you really need a new body, why not stay with Nikon and keep your existing glass? Changing systems is an expensive job and you probably won't have much better kit left at the end of it if you budget is 'only' £1,000.

:agree:

I reckon 1k would get me a 5D mk1 and a used 24mm 1.4 L ... Thats a pretty swanky setup

Couldn't agree more. But that's not what the OP asked.

----

Keeping in spirit of the thread, I'd be thinking about a Rx100mk4 and a full spectrum/IR premium compact.

The reason i'm thinking fuji xT1 is because i'd like a smaller body easy to travel with, originally i were thinking fuji X100T but then i'm limiting myself should i need that focal length in the future. The D3200 had been a great camera but i suppose i'm like 90 % of people you always want better regardless...

but i suppose i'm like 90 % of people you always want better regardless...
I must be in the other 10%! Sold an EM5, 12-40/2.8, 14-150, 100-300, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 and replaced it with....

an LX100.

An XT1 isn't going to help you much in size - sensor size is the same as your Nikon, so lenses will be of a similar size. You're only really going to save space if you're travelling really light (i.e. only one lens), so that the smaller body is relevant. And if you're doing that, maybe a large-sensor compact is a better compromise?
If it has to be an ILC, a GM1/GM5 + 12-32mm would be a much smaller travelling companion. And the GM1 has some really good deals at the moment, leaving you plenty left to spend on travelling to use it!

I holiday abroad twice a year and haven't taken a SLR in 8 years. I tend to think of my heavy gear, tripod too, as something to use, at home ... or to take (one lens at a time) when popping up to Convent Garden or the City with a particular type of photography in mind (people, architecture, long exposure etc). A decent pocket camera is sufficient when abroad ... light, compact, discrete, the way I like to do it. But I'd never give up my cherished DSLR and lenses.

Last edited:
Back