You have £800, what do you do?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

A friend of mine has asked my help, and I'm actually a little out of touch with the current product lineup. She has £800 to spend and needs a camera, memory and lens.

I am more than happy to get her something 2nd hand, but she is adamant that she doesn't want to be upgrading five mins later, so nothing 'for the time being'.

She is quite well versed in Photography, but the marketplace is confusing to say the least.

The type of shots she will take are very varied, but I think the importance of doing a few things very well takes precedence over gear to cover all eventualities.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Cheers,
James

I'd be looking towards a used 400D or 40D, kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS and spend the rest on accessories.

If you ditched the telephoto, prime and most of the accessories, you could probably get a used ultrawide zoom as part of the package.

Hi all,
The type of shots she will take are very varied, but I think the importance of doing a few things very well takes precedence over gear to cover all eventualities.

James

Well what 'few things' in particular?

get an enty/advancing level SLR body like sony a200/300, canon 40d,nikon d200 then invest in two lenses but dont get the kit lenses because you'll have to invest in better glass later on, as for memory card i'd say get a couple of 2gb sandisks which should do the job.

I got a 40D and 17-85mm IS for £640 from Canon's ebay page , it comes refurbished, boxed and with a 1yr warranty.

I notice they have a 450D and 18-55mm IS package which is due to end in half an hour, and the current price is £455, it you go looking at Play.com, they are doing 4GB Sandisk cards for £17.99 with free delivery, leaving approx £300 for lenses - and, unless your friend already has one, don't forget to allow for a decent camera bag too, Amazon often pop up with some good deals on bags.

For me I would go for Nikon D90 with kit lens.
Then get a 8GB Sandisk Extreme III or Ultra II memory!

Back