You Know When You See a Face That's Obviously Had Cosmetic Surgery

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
I was watching The Exorcist last night and the only parts of Geena Davis's face that moved when she spoke were her oversized lips. It got me wondering, many times you notice that someone has gone for (age-beating) cosmetic treatment, but I guess we only notice when it just looks wrong. My question is, are there times when it actually does work and we are looking at someone that just looks like they are aging well?

Would we know ?;)
I do know i no longer fancy Scully after seeing the X files remake :(

I saw a picture of Dolly Parton the other week, you could use it to scare children at Halloween!

It's not just the ladies either; The Butcher of Grozny's face is stretched tighter than a snare drum.

Edit...And Mickey Rourke!! :eek:

Last edited:
It's not just the ladies either; The Butcher of Grozny's face is stretched tighter than a snare drum.
Aye lets not forget the gents, Mickey Roukes fizzog looks like he's had a face transplant, that went wrong!

The first ( that I remember) and "best" cock up had to be Lesley Ash's trout pout, from the early 2000's

The first ( that I remember) and "best" cock up had to be Lesley Ash's trout pout, from the early 2000's

Re-enacted quite effectively in recent times by Meg Ryan. :D

And in both cases effectively ended their careers.

I watched the Exorcist earlier, and kept looking at her face to see if it moved, more entertaining the the actual programme:)

I just don't understand why they do it, nearly all examples stated were beautiful as they were.

It seems virtually mandatory in Hollywood/TV and 'celebrity' circles nowadays to have some cosmetic work done.

I remember Julia Roberts (for example) looking her age a few years ago and now she doesn't appear to look quite so old but I've never seen her close up in real life (or would want to particularly). The pressure to 'look your best' for these people must be immense, make up and lighting makes a big difference too I guess.

I just don't understand why they do it, nearly all examples stated were beautiful as they were.
I can't imagine, it's not like there's this almost obsessive necessity for woman to remain young and beautiful. Still, that doesn't explain the men.

I think 'Ivy Tilsley' from Corrie had set the bar quite high before her but Leslie Ash took the honour there!
Did you mean Gail? I always thought she looked like a goldfish, from the wrong side of the bowl :D

Pete Burns, enough said.

There is of course Wacko Jacko too.

<I know it's a light hearted thread and no one is being too mean, but...>

There's a study linked in this rather badly written BBC article that suggests that male Hollywood stars' salaries continue to increase until the age of 51, whereas that of the female stars peaks at 34.
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37350032

If you are a 38 year old female actress that is willing to subject yourself to some form of elective surgery / butchery that might knock 5 years off your looks then your salary may increase and indeed it may mean the difference between work and no work. Future career or no career.

The fact that as you age further the excessive cosmetic surgery may make you look quite unnatural is not often at the front of these people's minds. It's do it or end of your career.
Pressure can be put on from 'friends', agents, media critics and fans.

Not dissimilar to the various pressures that catwalk models are put under.

And, yes, despite the disparity between male and female salaries I mentioned above, men are also judged on their looks in the entertainment industry. Not all of them, but any that built their career on looking good need to stay looking 'good' - even if that involves some hideous operation :(
Travolta knows he's a crap actor. He started out as a crap actor, but he had looks. What happens when the looks go?

Someone above mentioned Leslie Ash. A bit of a teenage crush of mine. Such a shame that it all went so badly wrong when she had a 'simple cosmetic procedure' that 'every one else was doing'.
I thought you'd have to have had an empathy bypass not to feel sorry for her in that situation, but the press and scummy togs had a field day tracking her down and getting a close up of her swollen face.

It's easy to think that anyone out there having crazy amounts of cosmetic surgery is a fool and worthy of ridicule. Some are. For others it's more complicated and occasionally a mental health issue.

Imagine if your wife/husband came home from work tomorrow and said it had been suggested they had a 'chin tuck', otherwise they might not get so many hours work next week / may miss out on promotion / may be first in line for redundancy.

</I know it's a light hearted thread and no one is being too mean, but...>

I'm allowed to make all these comments because I look like an adonis. ;)

ps. Rourke's always been a funny looking geezer!

Ash was hot property at the time she went for the (was it botox?) procedure, there was no need for her to do it other than she wanted to for whatever reason. In her case I think it was a one off thing that went wrong. I don't understand how the serial surgery types can look in the mirror and not see what's there.

Ash was hot property at the time she went for the (was it botox?) procedure, there was no need for her to do it other than she wanted to for whatever reason. In her case I think it was a one off thing that went wrong.

Not botox, synthetic collagen, and the story was / is that the severe over swelling was caused by an allergic reaction to the filler.

I don't understand how the serial surgery types can look in the mirror and not see what's there.

Some would say it's a form of body dysmorphia, they see the result as attractive, in the same way as an anorexia sees their emaciation as the ideal, or even as too fat.

Ash was hot property at the time she went for the (was it botox?) procedure, there was no need for her to do it other than she wanted to for whatever reason. In her case I think it was a one off thing that went wrong. I don't understand how the serial surgery types can look in the mirror and not see what's there.

Ash was about 40 years old. She was getting acting work, but was obviously worried that this partially depended upon her looks. She believed that her top lip was too thin. The reasons that someone believes something like that and and then believes that it is important enough to do something about it can be quite complex phsycologically, but may initially stem from one off the cuff 'harmless' comment someone made or even one photograph not looking quite right. We can only wonder how today's image manipulation in the media affects the body perception of many actors and actresses.
She had had some form of injection to fill out her top lip before, so it wasn't the first time she had undergone a procedure. I've no idea if the previous procedure was the same as the catastrophic one but more subtle.

Not botox, synthetic collagen, and the story was / is that the severe over swelling was caused by an allergic reaction to the filler.

When she first appeared in the press she claimed she had undergone injections of collagen and had suffered an allergic reaction.
She later admitted that she it was injections of liquid silicone, which is a permanent filler. It migrates into the tissue near the injection site and then sets. It can't be removed. I believe it is the same stuff that has been responsible for the death of several women who have had butt injections which are aimed at giving a larger more shapely backside, and it is also the same stuff that can cause health issues in botched breast 'enhancement'. In large quantities it can migrate to places it isn't meant to before setting.

Some would say it's a form of body dysmorphia, they see the result as attractive, in the same way as an anorexia sees their emaciation as the ideal, or even as too fat.

I agree, I saw a program a few weeks ago about plastic surgery disasters and Pete Burns was featured, he actually believes his is a good look. He was having one of his procedures rectified as something had gone wrong with it, but he was determined to have more. There was another program on last night with Anne Robinson, not so much about cosmetic surgery although there was one bloke, in his 20's, having fillers injected into his nose and lips, but about people wanting to look good or not being too bothered about their looks. But for those who wanted to look good or improve their looks the extent they are willing to go to, to get their ideal look.
I will readily admit I have a form of body dysmorphia, I look in the mirror some days and the reflection I see is of someone who hasn't stepped foot in a gym and I want to be bigger developing more muscle, other days the reflection tells me I have been going to the gym and the muscle definition and development is coming along just fine. It's what your brain then tells you to do with that information, For me it's a fairly harmless reaction, just continue going to the gym, train harder or differently. For other gym goers that could easily result in steroids or silicon implants.
We all have our own perceptions on what looks good and what doesn't, we also have our own perceptions on whether we are satisfied or not bothered with what we see as our own look and if not what we are prepared to do about it.

If anyone thinks it's right having any of that **** injected in them then they must be mad!

Really, are we to presume that your degree in Human Psychology from the university of Guadalajara is on route?

And with increasing obviousness, little Tommy Cruise.

Back