You may have this flying around you home.

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Fly

The afternoon was quiet so I had time to image and I'm quite pleased with this. I may still tweek around in PS on a few bits. This is a 90 image stack, 105mm with the 50mm reversed lens on front and the largest of my three tubes. f4 ISO50 twin flash

Thanks for viewing, comments welcome.

1#

20131020 Fly Head by PeteGreg Photography, on Flickr

That's a great shot. Really close and sharp. One of the best I've seen. So what's the technique, how do you get the fly to stay still for 90 shots?

Amazing detail! :cool:
Did you use a focus rail or turn the focus ring in increments?

That is one superb shot. Spill the beans as to how you did it.

+1 on spilling the beens, I had no idea that these images are stacked or even had a clue that they would need to be.
I feel a project coming on..

Dave

The differences in the focal plane are absolutely miniscule and Pete has shown absolutely fantastic control in this respect. Although there are some electronic devices that can be used to automatically adjust the camera with no requirement for human intervention.

It still requires a lot of thought, patience and control.

Pete, this is a superb stack. Such sharp, fine detail.

If I recall correctly can't magic lantern do it?

The differences in the focal plane are absolutely miniscule and Pete has shown absolutely fantastic control in this respect. Although there are some electronic devices that can be used to automatically adjust the camera with no requirement for human intervention.

It still requires a lot of thought, patience and control.

Pete, this is a superb stack. Such sharp, fine detail.

Thanks for the kind comments Ian, I do do the movement manually, I use to do a lot of astrophotography and I'm sure that helped. Both types of photography requires the focuser to be moved in the minutest of steps. Solid platform, and good tripod helps.

Jaw dropping stuff this, some of the best macro work I've seen. Well done.

That's such a detailed image Pete. Excellent perseverence and it certainly looks like you've got the reward :)

Mark

Good job Pete. I've tried a few times but nothing as good as this!

Wow excellent work I can manage about three frame's in a stack!
although I do handhold
Can appreciate the skill gone into this

lovely stack Pete,do you use a rail and if so what type,thinking of getting one to tinker with

What a great capture!

Last edited:
Your work has inspired me to get a rail and have a real good go at stacking., brilliant image.

A close look at the original size image shows the right tentacle type thing that passes in front of the flys right eye tends to disappear. Is this a result of the stacking software bringing forward the detail of the eye of is it down to minor movement between images?

Your work has inspired me to get a rail and have a real good go at stacking., brilliant image.

A close look at the original size image shows the right tentacle type thing that passes in front of the flys right eye tends to disappear. Is this a result of the stacking software bringing forward the detail of the eye of is it down to minor movement between images?

Thank you all for the comments given.

Hi Mark, I may be wrong but I think this is called the Arista, I am still pretty new myself at this real close up Macro work.
I'm not convinced that I missed this section in my images, so at this time I'm putting this down to the stacking program getting confused over the fine detail of the eye, however in the stacking program Zerene I use I can attempt to correct this if I do have the image that holds the Arista, I will review my images and see it it's me missing that focus whilst moving the rack or it is something on the stacking process, I will get back to you on this. On my flickr site I have a second image posted that I reprocessed from my original and cloned the Arista in in PS. I hope what I've said makes some sense and is a help. Glad I have helped others with the same interest in this type of Macro. :)

Just a quick update.. The issue is with the software, I do have the shots with the Arista, time allowing I may try and correct this.

Last edited:
A super detailed shot and of course it had to be dead to get 90 shots - now where did I put that fly spray :LOL:

Stan

I'm inspired buy this . I have a set of old canon bellows going to convert them to a focusing rail . Give us an hour and I'll post a picky if I'm successfull. Sure I've got a quick release clamp some where i could use.
Right back in a hour no bed till i have a go .

With a little bit of a mod I've turned my canon bellows in to a dedicated focusing rail. With a bit of drilling and tapping mounted a quick release clamp.
Beuty is it can al be reverted back to a bellows system. now time to start stacking

So i had a go at stacking with cs6. Took 23 images at around 45 degrees. The image is of parts of the dismantled canon bellows the screws are about 3mm long.
I just followed the instructions in cs. One thing i noticed is blurring of the wood surface around the screws and plates. Has anyone an explanation and tips on this ?

Last edited:
First go with cs6 took 23 images and stacked them following cs6 .The image is of parts of the dismantled bellows the screw are around 3mm long.
One thing i noticed in the image is there is blurring around the screws and plates. Any clues as to why this has happened?

Last edited:
Sorry for the duel post this is the problem i have with my crappy qsat internet when you think you have finished posting it freezes and you have to start again Sorry

Amazing indeed. Stacking is so far my biggest enemy. I need better control.

Lots of inspiring stuff on your flickr too :).

Back