You tube tips

Photogavin is pretty good
Thatnikonguy might suit you as well being Nikon shooter.
Bhphotovideoproaudio is a massive source but they do have a specific photography section.

I know they're slightly silly but I do like the DigitalRev videos... although I don't think I can say they've improved my photography :)

Lol, i do enjoy the DIgital Rev videos and reviews as well. A guilty pleasure because it sticks a middle finger up to the OTT snobbery of some togs and you just gotta love that. Just have a browse through some predominantly American Photography forums (it seems to be a bigger problem there for some reason), some of these guys kill me. :LOL:
You know the type.. If you don't have a 3 grand body and every lens you own isn't an L series prime then you cannot really be a serious photographer! Lol "Oh do shut up........" :naughty:

I dont think they are terrible, i do think they are what they are though and fit a particular niche, fun and irreverent and lets face it they do tests that no one else does. They did one in particular where they literally destroyed an entry level nikon and canon with water,fire,hammers etc then smashed the lenses and still got decent shots out of them. A real life test ? Nah! Fun? Yeah! And best of all made a mockery of "Oh no! I couldn't possibly buy that used lens it has a speck of dust in it" Brigade.

Lots of great you tube stuff out there that is useful and as you say Photogavin is quite good.
Just remember like Digital Rev if you wanted a professional, considered and informative review of a car you wouldnt watch Top Gear either but like Digital Rev thats not why people watch it. Each have there place i suppose.

Last edited:
I've just checked out the Photographybylouise website, it states she is a 'classically trained' portrait photographer. What the heck does 'classically trained' mean for a photographer, she studied with Classic FM on?

Found one the other day photographybylouise she only has bout 9 videos but she explains photoshop tips so simply really interesting will do a search for that nikon gay

Im sure its just a typo Mark but can I just point out that I suggested 'ThatnikonGUY' :eek:

However if I'm wrong then please post any results that come up from your search ;) Could be interesting ? :LOL:

I don't watch any particular channel, I just search what I want to know.

Some of them, they're so snobbish, to the point of being useless if you've not spent £50'000 on equipment. They're more like a "look how great I am", than actually trying to be helpful, kinda like my old college lecturer back in 2001.

Hi, The biggest problem I have found myself is having to listen to some of awful American drawls that they call English language, some of them literally send me to sleep even though the content may be interesting and something I want to no, I just cannot keep from dropping off!!
I also do wish there where more from British experts at least they speak correctly (well most of them) and they can spell Colour correctly!!
Russ

Hi, The biggest problem I have found myself is having to listen to some of awful American drawls that they call English language, some of them literally send me to sleep even though the content may be interesting and something I want to no, I just cannot keep from dropping off!!
I also do wish there where more from British experts at least they speak correctly (well most of them) and they can spell Colour correctly!!
Russ

Ugh, tell me about it.......

It's got an I, it's pronounced ALU MIN IUM!!!! :LOL:
Strange how they can pronounce Titanium, but not Aluminium.

Perhaps one day they'll realiSe how much we hate having our language butchered! :D

Last edited:
MAC-on-campus, jaredpolin amongst others. I've got a pt4u membership so watch a lot of Mark Cleghorn videos too

Russ

You have to give them some credit though. They may not spell colour (correctly?) but they manage 'know' and 'were' just fine.
Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) :naughty:

Last edited:
What channels do you watch for tips to improve your photography ?

Mark

Already said but Gavin Hoey very good. Ive subscribed and watch every one of his.

He's on Adorama now along with loads of others. Bryan Peterson may be worth a look on there too.

Just type 'Adorama Gavin Hoey' into youtube and fill your boots!

Fro Knows Potato .......Dot Com.

Mash, roasties, chips, and jacket. He covers all of them.

Yep, have to agree - I think Mike Browne is top of my list.

Michael Zelbel for saucy strobist stuff. :D

Mike Browne, Matt Grainger (That Nikon Guy, or Get Your Gear Out as he has recently rebranded himself), DRTV, Jared Polin and Gavin Hoey - all been mentioned already, but all very much worth a watch for different reasons.

Given the section this thread is in, I would recommend Mike Browne the most to any beginners out there (y)

Back