Critique Young boar sparring

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Two group of of what appears are orphaned kids have got together,I guess seeking security. The one on the left doesn't care much for the others,until they ain't about Then when he can't see them ,well lets just says his reactions will haunt me a while.

So here's a frame from one of those spats same gear as last image 1/1600 f 6.3 iso 5000 processed in dpp and then a bit more malarky in PSCC. Interested in any comments on IQ

_70F4849 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers for the comments on the last

cheers

stu

Ay up Stu, nice bit of play fighting here. I've had a quick play as you've now got PS, and whilst Im not necessarily saying I've improved things, it may be useful for a couple of tips.

Stu-Boar-RP.jpg

First I got rid of some of the annoying twig covering the boar, as well as the one that appeared to be sticking out of his back by doing the following

Open up the shot in PS and create a duplicate background layer by using a shortcut control + J. This new layer will be called 'layer 1'.

For this I used the 'clone stamp' tool and got it just by hitting the 'S' key. If this doesn't work for some reason, look at the icons going down the left hand side and click on the one that looks like a rubber stamp found in an office.

Then look along the top row of icons and near the top left is the brush choice. It has 2 options, size and hardness. I set the hardness to 50% and the brush size to whatever is needed to have the cursor about twice as wide as the annoying stalk.

Put the cursor very close to the left of the twig but with no overlapping. Click the 'alt' key then move the cursor 90 degrees to the right so its over the twig and start clicking, moving the cursor up and down the twig.

It may take a little practice, but the beauty of working on a new 'background layer' is if you cock it up you can delete the layer and start over again.

2nd lesson...!

I thought the boars were lacking in a little contrast, so i did a curves adjustment just on the boars. Again easy to do if you follow the below steps.

Open a curves adjustment layer by clicking on the half grey, half white circle at the bottom of the layers panel and select 'Curves'.

To get more contrast into the shot look at the white line in the curves box that runs from bottom left to top right. You want to make that straight white line into more of an 'S' shape, so click on the line towards the top right and drag it up a little. Let go of the mouse, then go towards the bottom left of the white line. Click on the line and drag it down a little. It should now look something like this -

Stu-Boar-curves.jpg

The little white boxes on the line is where I chose to raise / lower the line to make the 'S'.

The whole shot will have more contrast on it now, but we only want to target the boars, so we have to remember the golden rule of photoshop - WHITE REVEALS AND BLACK CONCEALS.

In the layer panel, on your curves layer, you'll see a white rectangular box. Because its all white it means the adjustment you just did is affecting the whole shot - WHITE REVEALS. We want to reverse this and turn the box black as BLACK CONCEALS and we simply do this with the keyboard shortcut control + I. The box should now have turned black.

Now its time to do the all important targeted adjustment, so we want an adjustment brush, which we get by hitting the 'B' key. We want a nice soft brush this time so the effect is gradual, so in the same place we changed the brush earlier, we can change the hardness to zero. The easiest way of changing the brush size is by using the [ and ] keys.

Look towards the bottom of the icons on the left hand side and you'll see 2 overlapping boxes - white and black. We want the white box on top as WHITE REVEALS. Use the 'X' key to toggle between the boxes.

Once this is done, just click on a boar and brush over them.

Lastly, if you think the effect is overdone, look for the word 'opacity' in the layers palette. Click on the word and drag the cursor left to lessen the effect of the layer, or back to the right to increase the effect.

This was my layers stack

stu-layers.jpg

Hope that makes some sense - I'm not 100% where you're up to with your learning

Mike

Last edited:
I think that's pretty awesome crit and explanation to be fair, I've learned something here too.

Nice one Mike. (y)

Stu, I love your reporting of your local population of boar, thanks for sharing.

Mike I utterly agree with Dale, this is incredibly kind,it's humbling/inspiring mate your efforts not only to me but the other togs you help CHEERS (buddy it's so cool Dale got here first I love the fact you helped him too awesome mate thank you !!!!

Seriously wicked buddy some of it I have some of it not so much:D Got the clone tool Mike understand the basics of levels,did separate boar and added some form of curve to them alongside sharpening nr to bkg, But my methods were clumsy and time consuming. Mind it will be that way a while.:) I've also used to content aware fill to remove bits and bobs. I didn't actually clone anything in this one mate,my biggest exploration was with sharpness, I guess you will understand that ,I've been told my images are not sharp so so many times, I guess exploring perceived sharpness was always going to be one of the first things I wanted to explore

Mike this is a lot to take in and understand but already I know it will be a huge help to me thank you. I need a few hours to have a go and get it into my head. Buddy the post is very very worthwhile,I'm not going to say I understand it all ,i'd be lying bro . I've had a couple or three weeks with ps,I know damn well I haven't a clue,it's a monster and I'm slow. but my understanding is enough to work off this post and learn one hell of a lot !! those short cuts again i'm getting there c+J I use don't think I knew any of the others

I want to explore the methods you have used,I'm having a few issues with masks and viewing the different layers,at this time mate a penny will drop shortly,I'm missing something ,but I can't really explain what it is as of yet,please forgive i'm at that stage where little is consolidated. i'll get there kiddo it's going to be hard,but after waiting so long no hardship !!

bring it on huh;)
I think that's pretty awesome crit and explanation to be fair, I've learned something here too.

Nice one Mike. (y)

Stu, I love your reporting of your local population of boar, thanks for sharing.

Dale see the latest posts, in talk nature ,it's very hard for me at this time one of these might no longer be here RTA:( Genuine thanks for the kindness mate. We need a balance where we don't consume the worlds goodness and there is space for everything else that lives here and still we all ignore the obvious !!

Simply there are too many of us and we we all need to ponder what we will leave to all those kids we want to have

take care boths:D
thank you !!
stu

Dale see the latest posts, in talk nature ,it's very hard for me at this time one of these might no longer be here RTA:(

Stu mate, just had a good read of that thread too and I can't add much to it but I'm with you Bud. Sad to hear about what's happenend too. Our local population are used to human kind but they are at least away from traffic and behind deer fencing and enclosed on a massive section of the estate, for their own good as well as humans. They roam totally free and wild but they have gotten used to humans, especially the younger ones. The little 'uns do get through and under the mesh and onto the public areas but that's quite rare.

We had snow yesterday and today the boar here are visible from our front door.

Dale appreciate that ,it's ripping me heart out quietly bro.

Dale by proxy I am part of that chaos,I believe I showed due care,I hope so , it's hard to judge what is right when you feel you are at a measured distance and a human mum walks by you with her children and starts giving the boar childs sweets . But if I'm there I'm making them tamer right?? Frankly I feel half me time was slowing cars or sayings sorry guys can I just chase 'em from the road please please god.

It's hard mate ,to me there was this huge great danger sign,another member saw it too. Within a week or two we have the RTA's and deaths

Your fence seems sensible buddy given what I have seen, forgive me if I hate it . I know they have a good range buddy I understand they will be safer for it.I'm deeply sentimental about animals Dale but also a country boy that has reared many and understands the cycle of life as it were

But ya know deep inside me there's that gut feeling it's actually their blummin island and maybe it's us that should be behind the fence. !!!

Thanks mate, hard one this, they need to be so wild I can't get near them bro, that's what these need, complete and utter fear of humans

cheers kiddo loved those kingies stoked for ya mate i'll see them again:cool:

stu

Ay up Stu, nice bit of play fighting here. I've had a quick play as you've now got PS, and whilst Im not necessarily saying I've improved things, it may be useful for a couple of tips.

View attachment 118431

First I got rid of some of the annoying twig covering the boar, as well as the one that appeared to be sticking out of his back by doing the following

Open up the shot in PS and create a duplicate background layer by using a shortcut control + J. This new layer will be called 'layer 1'.

For this I used the 'clone stamp' tool and got it just by hitting the 'S' key. If this doesn't work for some reason, look at the icons going down the left hand side and click on the one that looks like a rubber stamp found in an office.

Then look along the top row of icons and near the top left is the brush choice. It has 2 options, size and hardness. I set the hardness to 50% and the brush size to whatever is needed to have the cursor about twice as wide as the annoying stalk.

Put the cursor very close to the left of the twig but with no overlapping. Click the 'alt' key then move the cursor 90 degrees to the right so its over the twig and start clicking, moving the cursor up and down the twig.

It may take a little practice, but the beauty of working on a new 'background layer' is if you cock it up you can delete the layer and start over again.

2nd lesson...!

I thought the boars were lacking in a little contrast, so i did a curves adjustment just on the boars. Again easy to do if you follow the below steps.

Open a curves adjustment layer by clicking on the half grey, half white circle at the bottom of the layers panel and select 'Curves'.

To get more contrast into the shot look at the white line in the curves box that runs from bottom left to top right. You want to make that straight white line into more of an 'S' shape, so click on the line towards the top right and drag it up a little. Let go of the mouse, then go towards the bottom left of the white line. Click on the line and drag it down a little. It should now look something like this -

View attachment 118439

The little white boxes on the line is where I chose to raise / lower the line to make the 'S'.

The whole shot will have more contrast on it now, but we only want to target the boars, so we have to remember the golden rule of photoshop - WHITE REVEALS AND BLACK CONCEALS.

In the layer panel, on your curves layer, you'll see a white rectangular box. Because its all white it means the adjustment you just did is affecting the whole shot - WHITE REVEALS. We want to reverse this and turn the box black as BLACK CONCEALS and we simply do this with the keyboard shortcut control + I. The box should now have turned black.

Now its time to do the all important targeted adjustment, so we want an adjustment brush, which we get by hitting the 'B' key. We want a nice soft brush this time so the effect is gradual, so in the same place we changed the brush earlier, we can change the hardness to zero. The easiest way of changing the brush size is by using the [ and ] keys.

Look towards the bottom of the icons on the left hand side and you'll see 2 overlapping boxes - white and black. We want the white box on top as WHITE REVEALS. Use the 'X' key to toggle between the boxes.

Once this is done, just click on a boar and brush over them.

Lastly, if you think the effect is overdone, look for the word 'opacity' in the layers palette. Click on the word and drag the cursor left to lessen the effect of the layer, or back to the right to increase the effect.

This was my layers stack

View attachment 118477

Hope that makes some sense - I'm not 100% where you're up to with your learning

Mike

Mike,not much time to get at anything,but I've just been re reading your post as I guess I will do many many times. It will be the weekend before I can really attack anything.

When you have time I have a few questions if that is ok?. Mate I could PM you,but if others are also learning from this and you have time to answer I feel it's better to ask here these things are not relevent to just this image.

Mike the effort put into this post to educate another is not oft seen here I have to repeat those deep thanks !! you have already done too much , but I know how much you like pushing us forwards you have always been an incredible mentor to many of us here. I hope it's not amiss to ask a few Q's here. in public as I feel more than me will benefit??.

Buddy your "S" curve,how do you plot those points...how are you formualting that shape curve?? The curve is targeted Mike to the boar,but how does a novice like me find which part of the histograme they occupy ,is there a way to be specific??? Beyond pure experince and grafting it out. Obviously they are dark so I have an idea where to go,but the shape ofyour curve and the plot points have me musing (;) what can I say you knew that word was coming:D). My curve was somewhat hit and miss, I feel I got reasonably close but brights are better I feel. I'ts an incredible tool isn't it mate,sure i've only scratched the surface but when I played with this specifically on the subjects it was all but jaw dropping for me

Mate I wont go further as before you have already given so much if it's ok I will ask more,but i'd rather you reply first

cheers again buddy

Nice photos and I can see you care about them.

Many thanks yup I do:) but this one has been a bit hard sadly thanks for commenting very kiind

stu

Mike,not much time to get at anything,but I've just been re reading your post as I guess I will do many many times. It will be the weekend before I can really attack anything.

When you have time I have a few questions if that is ok?. Mate I could PM you,but if others are also learning from this and you have time to answer I feel it's better to ask here these things are not relevent to just this image.

Mike the effort put into this post to educate another is not oft seen here I have to repeat those deep thanks !! you have already done too much , but I know how much you like pushing us forwards you have always been an incredible mentor to many of us here. I hope it's not amiss to ask a few Q's here. in public as I feel more than me will benefit??.

Buddy your "S" curve,how do you plot those points...how are you formualting that shape curve?? The curve is targeted Mike to the boar,but how does a novice like me find which part of the histograme they occupy ,is there a way to be specific??? Beyond pure experince and grafting it out. Obviously they are dark so I have an idea where to go,but the shape ofyour curve and the plot points have me musing (;) what can I say you knew that word was coming:D). My curve was somewhat hit and miss, I feel I got reasonably close but brights are better I feel. I'ts an incredible tool isn't it mate,sure i've only scratched the surface but when I played with this specifically on the subjects it was all but jaw dropping for me

Mate I wont go further as before you have already given so much if it's ok I will ask more,but i'd rather you reply first

cheers again buddy

stu

Ay up Stu,

As usual, I've only got my own way of working here, so I'm not saying this is the best way of doing things. The big plus though is by working on an individual adjustment layer you can always delete the layer and start over. Another little hint is if you get the movement point wrong (the little box) then click on the little box and drag it out of the graph. It will then disappear and the curve line will reset to where it was before you originally clicked on it.

As regards the tones and where to click I just look at the area I want to affect, as per the normal histogram, the lights are on the right, darks on the left, so I look where I want to adjust and estimate a suitable space either side. The steeper you make the curve the more contrast you're adding and vice versa. Remember you can always lessen the effect by dragging the mouse on the word 'opacity' like I mentioned above.

Best way is just to play around and mess about with the curve and it'll explain itself better than I can on here.

I'm happy to try and help either on here or by PM, I don't mind

take care

Mike

G'day Mike,yup sure we'll all go our own ways mate ,i've never much been one fore there is only the right way and that's mine type of phyosophy.;)

Cheers for the reply buddy I felt it was experience you were using to set the curve,simply I wondered if there might be a very way of specifically targeting the subjects via histrograme to use in these curves rather than trial and error. I'm no stranger to grinding it out mate i'll get there:)

As always, i'm curious so ask..................play I will my friend thank you again The "smart object" might also help me have multiple attempts as that is reversable. I have the old girl aswell she was much darker very few brown tones more blacks,I need to take your wisdom learnt here and have another go at her,i've not crushed the darks as far as I can see,but extracting the detail has been tricky I might show it shortly if I can get it where I want

I've got more of this set Mike, my darlin' liked this pose,but frankly I am a bit on the fence about IQ which is why there is that little note up top,honestly I don't think it's spot on. No one has really picked up on that maybe it's because of the viewing size.

many thanks

stu

Back