Young Madeline wants to be a model

Great photo. She's definitely got the look. Only one small thing, and it's only my opinion/taste. Personally I wouldn't have cropped the top of her head, but the lighting is gorgeous.

Technically the photo looks fine but I personally don’t like the coat. It doesn’t seem to add anything and it’s a bit distracting but that is subjectiv.

Technically the photo looks fine but I personally don’t like the coat. It doesn’t seem to add anything and it’s a bit distracting but that is subjectiv.

Actually the quality of the fur isn't as classy as the rest of the image now you mention it. It looks well worn instead of soft and furry. If you catch my drift.

Great photo. She's definitely got the look. Only one small thing, and it's only my opinion/taste. Personally I wouldn't have cropped the top of her head, but the lighting is gorgeous.
I agree - how did you take it? Particularly thinking about how you did the lighting.

Thanks all for your comments.
I agree and disagree about the blanket/shawl. I asked her to bring a shawl and she was very fond of this one so we used it. I like the pose it inspired but I do wish
it had been a lot brighter. Tried to blow it out with another strobe but that wrecked everything else. I suppose I could have a go in post to try and bring it up more.
I like the crop in this case but I understand its not for everyone.

Just a single light, 120 cm parabolic with diffusion camera right and a reflector below the model.
I’d assumed window light and that you were trying to make the best of it.

Simply because it’s illogical to me to choose to sidelight a person like that.

For a ‘beauty’ shot I’d lean towards a clamshell as a start point, accentuating cheekbones etc.

For a straight portrait my starting point would be Short lighting.

To be honest this was a very difficult shoot for many reasons.
The models complete lack of experience was certainly a hindrance . Her facial structure, quite round and 'puffy', plus very dark rims under her eyes was problematic.
I tried to bring a bit more structure to the face with perhaps unconventional lighting.
The main difficulty was she categorically refused to smile. even though we knew each other very well outside of the studio and had no problem joking around normally, she would freeze up whenever I got near the camera. So much so that I started trying to trick her by shooting from the laptop I was tethered to! LOL But she caught on to that pretty quickly :D
Well, we did have fun and she was pleased with the shots so that's what matters really.

What I really like about this shot are the tones, textures, and colours - They all compliment each other beautifully. She has lovely eyes and you have shown that.

Depending what her figure is like she should get accepted as a model.

Last edited:
Back