Beginner Young starter

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, with my brother-in-law deserting his two young boys 10 and eight to drive of into the sunset with his new girlfriend, disgusted tbh, the oldest loves coming out for a walk and has acquired a passion for photography with me. He needs love and needs a focus as his dad's a dead lost. Gonna buy him a camera of his own and try to teach him while he learns. What I would like to know what camera would be ideal for him, wants a dslr like uncle. I have a Nikon 3100 which has served me well. Would a 3200 be good for an early learner or is it overkill? If it's a phase least I can upgrade

If it's a phase least I can upgrade

I sincerely hope its not this Phase. http://www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/IQ2-Series/IQ2-Features.aspx ;)

On a serious note, good of you to help out, and I am sure he/they will appreciate it, but just be aware that Dad could/probably will return at some stage, and whilst it is great of you to want to treat them, especially if it helps you upgrade, how would you feel if they just treat you as a 'sugar daddy'. Also you will need to treat them equally to avoid compounding feelings of rejection.

I think I would start off with secondhand kit for them and see how it goes from there. Last years digi cameras are cheap as chips, and film ones even better. People will often give them away and its a good way to learn the basics. As you say it may only be a phase whilst they are looking for some genuine love.

And before buying the camera, spend £2.81 on a copy of this book to read yourself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raising-Boys-Different-Become-Well-Balanced/dp/0007153694

Well recommended.

Buy yourself a D7100 & give the D3100 to the lad. Added advantage of you're not buying him stuff, just giving him your old kit. You'll then both be learning a new camera, which will be fun! :)

I'd get the younger one something too.

Last edited:
I agree with updating your own kit and passing down to him. Same make so you can use the same gear, as you've experience with the camera you can help him learn where everything is and on top of that, if he drops/breaks/loses it etc then it's only a second hand model :)

Back