Younnuo 50mm f1.8 Review

Name
Red- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Snappa
Edit My Images
No
Petapixel have a decent review of the Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 Canon copy and it comes out very well compared to Canons offering.

Comparing optics. $40 Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 and $125 Canon 50mm f/1.8 II

Before you feel sorry for Canon that some upstart Chinese company is copying its lens, remember that both Canon & Nikon began their camera manufacturing by copying product from the like of Zeiss, Voigtlander and Contax. What goes round comes round as they say.

Very good if basic tests but just shows that the Yongnuo is not to be sneered at just because it's a "cheap clone." I'd certainly consider one, having owned one of their ring flashes for a while now.

Its available from a couple of ebay sellers for £36.00 which is a bargain.

It was only £27 last week!
I bet someone did a direct dollars to pounds conversion.
Prices charged to uk purchasers are always higher than the equivalent sterling dollar exchange rates

Shame they dont do a Nikon version
A Nikon user who wants a Nikon version of a Canon 50mm copy. What the hell?

that would be f/2, not 1.2! Maybe the patents of all that old junk just expired? I am still puzzled why they don't use a more modern looking plastic shell if they use different / better glass.

In my haste was getting excited looking at the front ring. If it tests as the 50mm 1.8 did against the Canon did this will be a very popular lens.

In my haste was getting excited looking at the front ring. If it tests as the 50mm 1.8 did against the Canon did this will be a very popular lens.
Canon's 35mm f2 is a bit of a gem though so I will be surprised if they significantly better it but you never know!

Canon's 35mm f2 is a bit of a gem though so I will be surprised if they significantly better it but you never know!

On par or just below would do me fine if it's at the usual Yongnuo price.

On the one hand having Yongnuo step into the lens market will definitely shake things up. I guess I should be up in arms about the fact their first is a carbon copy of the Canon version. Yet I've got a few YN flashes which are copies of OEM flashes so I guess that makes me a hypocrite. I know I'm far from the only one too who have purchased YN gear.

So in general competition is a good thing. More lenses at cheaper prices will put pressure on Tamron & Sigma et al, not to mention Canon/Nikon to keep their prices competitive.

That said....I can also forsee more weekend warriors who will now be buying more lenses and giving everyone more competition.

I guess what one hand giveth, the other taketh away.

It appears that they are trying to beat the Canon 35mm F2 by adding more aperture blades (moving from 5 to 7) - which would make it a winner in my book!

Back