Your digital workflow

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm interested to hear what everyone's digital workflow is like. I'm looking for ways that I can improve improve on mine as it is a little cumbersome at the moment and I could do with speeding up.

By sharing our experiences here hopefully we all might be able to improve so that less time is needed in front of the computer and more can be spent out taking photos!

I'll start with mine:

Generally I will be dealing with batches of between 200 and 800 photos, in RAW format, which are typically weddings, portraits, bands.

* Import from memory cards (sandisk extreme III 2GB) into new lightroom catalogue (it seems to run much, much faster with many smaller catalogues than one big one)

* Back up to DVD, make cup of tea

* Do a first sort through picking the wheat and leaving the chaff using lightroom;s 'pick/unpick' functionality.

* Refine photos and do a second sort this time getting rid of shots are similar to each other. I may also do a third sort.

* Edit final selection of photos in lightroom. I usually end up editing a few in photoshop too using lightroom's 'edit in photoshop' command so that lightroom still has control of all the photos. I tend to spend quite a lot of time editing, I'm a bit of a perfectionist and just can't leave a photo alone until I have got the best from it. It quite a difficult trade-off between getting the photos out quickly and spending enough time editing.

* Once the final selection is all ready and edited I will export to TIFF from lightroom and then run them through noise ninja using profile image rather than working from camera noise profiles. This takes quite a while so more tea is called for.

* Next I batch sharpen the noise ninjaed TIFFs with a sharpening action in photoshop. Again, more tea consumed here.

* Import noise ninjaed and sharpened TIFFs back into lightroom and either export to down-sized JPEGs for putting on a CD or generate a web photo gallery using lightroom. Yup, you guessed it - brew time again!

* Back up final selection with edits to DVD. Maybe a small cup of tea here.

As you can see there is a lot of waiting around for things to process involved here, I'd really like to get this time down if I can. I'm increasingly tempted to do more of my work in lightroom such as sharpening and noise reduction, however the tools provided there just aren't up to the standard of noise ninja/photoshop so I guess I'll keep doing it the long way round, at least for the time being.

Ideally I would like to noise ninja at the beginning using camera profiles but noise ninja can't handle RAW files. It would be nice if it could read and output to RAW but I guess this isn't technically possible because of how RAW files are structured.

So what does your digital workflow look like?

I'll mention my workflow mainly as a complete contrast, although it's not really intended for huge numbers of images.

I start by downloading the RAW files, using a card reader, to a folder called something like 'Originals 2007-08-20'. I don't use a DAM system and have found no use for one, but other people's needs will differ.

I use Bibble Pro with several plugins - Sharpie, Roy, Shady and Percy. :eek: Yes, they go in for strange names, but those handle sharpening, selective colour manipulation, shadow enhancement and perspective correction, in addition to the standard editing tools built into Bibble itself. There is also a b/w conversion tool which works pretty well, although I'm really a colour fan. Noise Ninja is also built into Bibble.

With the plugins, I find that there is no need for second-stage processing with most images, unless I want to do something fancy with layers etc. That means I can process direct to a low-compression JPEG, with no need for an intermediate TIFF. If I do need a TIFF, I can simply send the conversion to a different batch queue with the same processing parameters.

And that's it - all very simple. Any further processing is done with Paint Shop Pro X or XI (Windows) or either PSP7 or the GIMP (Linux). Bibble itself runs under Windows, Mac or Linux.

Mine would be:

Copy the photos over to a folder {location}/{year}/{month}/{date}/original in my photos directory.

Do the edits I need to do in highest quality in either RawShooter Essentials (I use it for throwing out the junk as it is the fastest of the bunch), Raw Therapee, UFRaw or Nikon View (Nikon View only if I don't need to do any extensive edits with curves, etc.).
Exported tiffs might get edited in the GIMP (or Corel Photo-Paint if they' were exported in 16-bits per channel), which I also use to shrink the selected few.

Upload to web if desired.

Back