Your EARLIEST image with a digital camera is....

DSC_0001.jpg

20th April 2003, DSC_0001 ineptly processed from the D100 NEF. According to the EXIF I used a Tamron 24-135mm which I still have.

Christmas 1999 - A picture of dad's car taken with the mighty 0.27mpx Kodak DC25. Not much likes opening the old K25 files these days.
50088350151_79228cac09_o.jpg

The camera didn't last all that long as I blew it up by using the wrong charger. (like all 13 year olds would) Side note, I still own the car 21 years later.

Another lurker from UKS;) I see GeoffR in the AP forums

I had a digital camera in the early 2000s but the display was only about 1/2" wide and the files were probably less than 1MB in size. I didn't know what I was doing back then and it only ever got used for (bad) snapshots. In February 2007 I saw someone with a Casio Exilim EX-Z700 and it had an absolutely massive LCD! It was all of 2.7 inches! I was so stunned I just had to buy one.

I don't know what's happened to the very early photos (probably on a CD somewhere) but here's the first photo I uploaded to my new Flickr account at the time. It's an art installation that stood outside the Royal Academy for a while.

Two Towers
by Garry Knight, on Flickr

December 1999

My son, taken as a test shot on my newly acquired Olympus C2020Z, a 2MP camera. I managed to leave this camera on a train a year later, so replaced it with the newer C5050Z, similar but with 5MP, and I managed to take some great shots with that. I still have the C5050ZP1010003.JPG

That was the D30. The 30D came along in about 2008, and was 8MP. It's very dated by today's standards, but I still use mine and have never felt any real need to 'upgrade' it.

Does anyone remember the early digital cameras that used a 3.5" floppy disc? I think a disc had enough capacity for one shot...
I had a D30, and then upgraded to a D60, which I still have somewhere, but no longer have any Canon lenses, or batteries that will hold any charge. I know it is the most I have ever paid for a camera.

I must say, some of the image quality on these from early 2000's are really quite good! Albeit on a small phone screen. Noone in my family had any digital cameras back then, I think it would be quite freaky to see an image of an 17yo me in such a photo!

Back