Your favourite saying to make them smile

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Just wondering what your killer expressions are to get a smile or a laugh out of portrait subjects. I remember Annabel Williams getting her subjects to say "Sausages" and "Bananas" which works surprisingly well and I still use that a lot. I've heard guys on here say "Where's my Pig?" is a good one too!

Just wondered if anyone has any killer expressions like this they'd care to share?

I don't think it really matters what you say, its how you deliver it. :)

^^^ This.

And I'm a firm believer that you get a more natural and spontaneous expression if you make someone laugh or smile when you talk WITH them not TO them. Cliche lines tend to force fake expressions, just like cheesy chat up lines tend to get a drink emptied over you.

If you get to know your subject you have a feel for what makes them laugh or smile and you'll be a better judge of how far you can push the banter to get the expression you are after but I'd always make it specific to the subject and not some line you got from a book or a forum.

Depending on your situation I find "nipple" can work quite well. But use it wisely ;)

Depending on your situation I find "nipple" can work quite well. But use it wisely ;)

Excellent! I was shooting a large group of female office workers this morning and was tempted... very briefly... :LOL:

You sound like a posh Frank Carson ? :)

'Sex' usually gets the required expression :)

Say "Smile if you had sex last night". Even if they didn't have sex, they will smile, and then they will laugh because they smiled.
Obviously use discretion with this line.

Get yer chops round this beauty

'Sex' usually gets the required expression :)

Say "Smile if you had sex last night". Even if they didn't have sex, they will smile, and then they will laugh because they smiled.
Obviously use discretion with this line.

You lot must have very broadminded customers! :LOL:

when ive photographed a pile of kids (about 50 for one pic) Ive got them to close their eyes and when i count to 3, they shout out "sausages" and open their eyes. Nice big pupils, huge smiles and giggles (y)

when ive photographed a pile of kids (about 50 for one pic) Ive got them to close their eyes and when i count to 3, they shout out "sausages" and open their eyes. Nice big pupils, huge smiles and giggles (y)

I had a half day shoot at the 'British Premium Sausage Company' in Bradford two weeks ago... I used "Sausages" a lot! :LOL:

^^^ This.

Cliche lines tend to force fake expressions, just like cheesy chat up lines tend to get a drink emptied over you.

I think it's how you deliver it that matters, I find the old cliché work well, but I never have a set one, just change things to what works for the people in front of me.

The last one I did I told everyone we needed lots of cheesy grins and for the next five minutes I kept naming cheeses... sounds daft but it worked.

Know your audience and deliver confidently... easier said than done, but that is all you have to do.

I was shooting a somewhat "high end" client over the weekend, went to take the group shot, and before I got a chance to say anything, one of them (The photographer, Michael Le Poer Trench) shouted "Lesbians!" very loudly.

Worked brilliantly - I'd never have had the guts to shout that...!

"if you make that face when the wind changes - you'll stay like that forever !!!" normally gets a gigle or two..

Can't believe all the non-diverse comments. it's not very proffesional. I guess it depends on your client and the lowest common denominator.

Back