Your Film of the year 2011

loved black swan, it was top 5 of my fav movies of last year for sure

Yeah I quite liked the debt. Wasn't great but was good and entertaining.

I was really looking forward to tinker tailor soldier spy, but what a load of tosh. There are very few films I have just not finished watching, probably two or three but this is the fourth one, couldn't even be bothered to watch it to the end, very disappointed.

Agreed, although I persevered in the hope that something might happen, total let down.

Just watched "Tyrannosaur"...written by Paddy Considine and also his directorial debut. Loved it. Utterly brutal and gritty, but sublime performances by Peter Mullen and Olivia Colman. Recommended.

contagion was pretty good, caught that this weekend. quite worrying that it could actually happen to that higher level of epidemic too.

loads of people slagged that off, but i thought it was pretty good too

I thought Contagion was good too..and the wrestler nailed a top spot at the least. Tinker tailor was fab, intensely so. Rise of the Planet of the Apes, was way better than I imagined. Girls with the Dragon Tattoo excellent, Page Eight was class, Descendants emotional, Melancholia blew my mind wide open, Adjustment Bureau was that the year before? The Hit List hit hard, Priest was horrible fun, but I think one that was 'and now for something completely different' wins for me, Bunraku.

Last edited:
Film of the year for me has to Bridesmaids. Its so funny I absolutely love it. I've seen it countless of times since its been released. Other films I thought was fantastic too were, rise the planets of the apes and hangover 2 (which are the only ones that I can remember at the moment that were released in 2011. )

A little retrospective from me...

Contagion...hmmm an odd film... I was expecting "outbreak" and it wasn't. It was sort of almost documentary... definitely not the action flic the trailer suggestion. It wasn't bad but it just wasn't what I expected at all and it wasn't good, it was just OK.

Drive... must be a right marmite film... too much "dramatic pause" and silence for me. Over pretencious delivery of a quite substandard story with massive plot holes. Saving feature is Ron Pearlman... Jewish gangster... love it :)

Devil's Double.... oooooh nasty. Not for the squeemish, however probably the most original film I've seen in a long time. Plenty of action, plenty of twists, 100% originality - which is rare! Deffo the best I've seen recently. A bit leftfield, but seek it out and enjoy!

Three Musketeers... with Orlando Bloom and an all start cast. Tries to be all manner of other action movies and fails miserably at them all. Terrible. Stick to the Keifa Sutherland/Tim Curry version, much better by damned miles.

Both Thor and The King's Speech have my votes I think!

And looking forward most to is The Avengers, hoping its not TOO hollywood though

LadySapphire said:
Both Thor and The King's Speech have my votes I think!

And looking forward most to is The Avengers, hoping its not TOO hollywood though

I dont think a film could be any MORE Hollywood than the Avengers!!

Really looking forward to it!

I dont think a film could be any MORE Hollywood than the Avengers!!

Really looking forward to it!

very true :LOL: but one can hope it at least is done well!

Definitely!

It does look very good though!

Back