your first steps ?

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all,
what steps do people take when playing with there photos and why do they take these steps and what do they do?
just getting into playing with photoshop.(cs3).
anyone know of a good website to help me understand and use all the settings and adjustments e.g levels/curves etc.
i`v see photos of before and afters of a slightly red sky turned into an amazing red sky and would like to be able todo the same.
also getting detail back in parts of shots and making parts brighter.
sorry for so many questions,
thanks all,chris.

Small steps , that's probably the best way to learn. I'd suggest a good book on the subject would help. As with most things it's practice that helps. Have a look at books by Martin Evening ( my preference) or Scott Kelby. Both are excellent tutors and these book will help you enormously. Both have written CS3 books, and as we are now on CS5 may be a bargain on Amazon or similar

I bought the 7-point system for Ps CS3 a while back and it has been my workflow ever since.

Not that every photo needs all 7-points (or I would have given up by now :D ) but it is a great way to take your original RAW to screen/web/print.

After the basics are out the way and you want to do more advanced editing I'd look at Photoshop CS3 for Photographers. Or search on Google for tutorials as and when you want to learn a new trick.

I would have to agree with Marty and advise purchasing Photoshop CS3 for Digital Photographers by Scott Kelby. Great book and certainly tought me a lot. Would also recommend The Digital Photography Connection for some great free tutorials, very easy to follow.

anyone know of any more good websites for videos?

If you are willing to pay, Kelby Training is a good choice for photography and post-processing videos.

The Photoshop Guys is a good podcast too, available on iTunes.

I 2nd Kelby and also Lynda.com if you are willing to subscribe.
Free stuff, well the best Photoshop technique guys are Deke McClelland and this guy........... http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html.

Russell Brown develops Adobe stuff but don't be put off by his enthusiastic approach, he is amazing. Just scroll down the page it goes back to PS7 I think.

Another free site is www.planetphotoshop.com just go to the tutorials page.

Back