Your London must see places

bastic

A star
Name
Lukas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.

I'm taking few days off in 2 weeks time, and have decided (me and my gf) that it is time to visit some must see places in London :) ie. museums etc...

So could you please point out your favourite 5 places it would be great :)

oh, and they do not have to be great photo wise ;) but yes, I will be dragging my camera with me :geek:

thank you,
Lukas

National Portrait Gallery. (y)

Natural History Museum too :)

Last edited:
National Portrait Gallery. (y)

that was quick ;)

we will be going there ...Ive been there and didnt like it :bat: but me lady wants to see it so I have nothing to say about it ;D

Have a look at this thread; it was asked a while ago, but the beauty of London is that it seems to be trapped in a time warp, changing yet staying the same :shrug:

It's no good visiting the London places with your girlfriend! You need to have your TP mates along as well!!

If I had to pick one i'd go to the science museum over the Natural History museum and the British Museum over both of the others.

The London eye is good but expensive

It's no good visiting the London places with your girlfriend! You need to have your TP mates along as well!!

I will think about TP over glass of lager ;D

If I had to pick one i'd go to the science museum over the Natural History museum and the British Museum over both of the others.

The London eye is good but expensive

Ive been way too many times on London Eye :)

Im not sure but I think I havent been in British Museum....where is that :)

it may be silly but it is 5 years since I moved to London, and still havent seen most of the must see places :bonk:

So I was thinking about visiting 'hidden ' gems of London ;-)

Thats why I would like to know everyone's top 5 ;)

We may go and visit wetlands on one day :)

L.

That really is a hard question, do you want interesting, places to look at or look around,unusual or historic
Lived and worked in London for forty years and still found new stuff, so here goes with my top six for a visitor.
1 Boat Trip on the Thames down to the Barrier, good introduction to many of the sights and then the other way up to Hampton Court (back by train to Waterloo)
2 Greenwich Observatory and Cutty Sark
3 Science,Natural History and Victoria & Albert Museum (all in the same road)
4 Madame Tussauds and Planetarium then a stroll over Regents Park (bit touristy, but still interesting and loads of Herons in the park )
5 Imperial War Museum
6 Kew Gardens (end of the District Line and some nice Fullers Pubs as a bonus)

Last edited:
Covent Garden, loads of stuff round the area.

That really is a hard question, do you want interesting, places to look at or look around,unusual or historic
Lived and worked in London for forty years and still found new stuff, so here goes with my top six for a visitor.
1 Boat Trip on the Thames down to the Barrier, good introduction to many of the sights and then the other way up to Hampton Court (back by train to Waterloo)
I live that way and have seen few times :)

2 Greenwich Observatory and Cutty Sark
I work few meters away from Cutty Sark :)

3 Science,Natural History and Victoria & Albert Museum (all in the same road)
I wanted to go and see V&A museum for a while :) good idea. goes on the list
4 Madame Tussauds and Planetarium then a stroll over Regents Park (bit touristy, but still interesting and loads of Herons in the park )
will think about Regents park

5 Imperial War Museum
where is that ;)

6 Kew Gardens (end of the District Line and some nice Fullers Pubs as a bonus)
will think about it as well

I will think about TP over glass of lager ;D

Ive been way too many times on London Eye :)

Im not sure but I think I havent been in British Museum....where is that :)

it may be silly but it is 5 years since I moved to London, and still havent seen most of the must see places :bonk:

So I was thinking about visiting 'hidden ' gems of London ;-)

Thats why I would like to know everyone's top 5 ;)

We may go and visit wetlands on one day :)

L.

The British Museum is in Bloomsbury - a short walk from Tottenham Court Rd tube or Holborn tube. Could also try the Inns of Court, or Camden lock. Spoilt for choice, really.

Imperial War museum is in Lambeth, nearest tube is Lambeth North and you could also try visiting the War Cabinet Rooms in Whitehall
The list grows with the London Transport Museum in Covent garden and the Museum of London near the Barbican
How about St Pauls then a walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern

Forgot how many great places there are, daresay more will come to me soon

I have recently started to explore London (live on its doorstep and never visited really). I love the walk down Southbank from The Tate to Bermondsey Market, the market was great fun. I also enjoyed Hyde Park, we picninced by the Diana Fountains, which were really nice to walk round too.

the Museum of London near the Barbican
Thats the one I wanted to see!! Ive been to British Museum fe times...my mistake ;)

How about St Pauls then a walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern

Forgot how many great places there are, daresay more will come to me soon

done that route 2 weeks ago :)

I've kinda lost my mojo recently and need to get out in London more. I live just down the road from the Wetlands Centre.

It's good if you like birds (obviously), or macro. I was running around with my macro rig getting funny looks from all the twitchers. Bumped into Bill Oddie having a cup of tea too!

British Museum is worth it for the architecture alone.

I work in the City and have been wandering through more backstreets, discovered those shop shutters painted with the alphabet are just round the corner, need to snap them. Brick Lane etc are all v interesting, I'd just be a little wary round the Southern end of the road at night, after noticing there are dispersion orders in place around Aldgate now!

Richmond Park and Kew are both worth a look. Primrose Hill for a lovely view of the city and London Zoo.

I find the City quite enthralling at weekends when the whole place is absolutely deserted....such a contrast from the bustle when I'm here all week at work.

Camden Lock/Covent Garden/South Bank are all great to 'cut your teeth' with street photography as no-one bats an eyelid, there are swarms of togs around.

A couple of people mention Wetland center, there is a TP organised meet there on Sunday 15th August, meetings at 10:30 in the cafe......please excuse the rather shameless self promotion there.

Greenwich park is somewhere I plan to go
The docklands can be quite interesting
The Tower Of London has been recommended to meloads of times, haven't been yet though.

The british library was interesting when I went 20 years ago, they had original letters from the beatles and the original magna carta , don't know what it's like now, probably all on DVD

thank you all :)
still havent made my mind yet but will go to see some of those places for sure :)

I will have 10 days for it all together ;D
Most important part of this short work break will be sleeping off early mornings ;D

My picks

Camden Market
Regents Park Zoo
War Rooms under Downing Street (Not wow but a little different)
Covent Garden
London Dungeons

Cabinet war rooms as said above, a little different and if the weather is nice a wander round Covent Garden and the parks. Since your gf will be going I suppose you'll have to go to Harrods/Selfridges too :)

Back