Your neighbours: how well do you know them?

ivortripod

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Neighbours: most of us have them, many of us ignore them, but ...

A long standing friend recently discovered by accident that people living nearby, whom he had trusted and confided in for many years, were the biggest liars, cheats and hypocrites possible to meet. It wasn't just one neighbour, either, as about half a dozen households were just as bad.
Yes you can say that you couldn't care less, but as my friend found out, neighbours' behaviour can very seriously damage your family relationships, school issues, work colleagues, social habits, local authority planning permissions etc etc.
Exactly how this was discovered isn't that important, but it makes you ask the question:
Just how much do you really trust the people who live by you?

Last edited:
It sounds awful I know, but I take everything I hear with a pinch of salt. There are only 3 people on this planet whom I accept the opinion/comments from whole heartedly.

Wife... Mum & Dad. End of.

I know what my neighbours are called.... and that's all I know about them. I've lived here for 3 years!

I'm quite friendly with my neighbours both sides, we feed one sides cats when they go on holiday and vice versa.

I know nothing of their personal lives apart from their jobs, and that suits me just fine.

It's definately easier if you can get on with your neighbours, helps in the long run :)

We're good friends with our next door neighbours. Next door but one we're friendly with, and exchange friendly chats and pleasantries.

Next door but two, the same.
Infact we exchange chats and pleasantries with most of our neighbours, but next door we get along really well with.

Very friendly on one side, civil on the other and two doors down is RobertP and family and he's okay (except after a few whiskeys :D)

I went to school with the guy to my left and I went to school with the son of the couple to my right 30 years ago. My grandparents lived on the corner of this steet from 60 years ago till they died, I've lived here 20 years, I know my neighbours well. :)

The people next door ant too bad here, they talk to us sometimes. The lady is nice :) The man is a gardener and i always hear him start his van up in the morning, or that might be my dad :LOL:

Over the road we have Rob and Teresa with their three kids, then we have Jo and Paul just down from them. Next door to our left we have Ian and Lyn, on the other side is Mike, Jackie and their daughter, and next to them is Phil, Tracie and their two kids.

I know what they all do for a living, I even know surnames :D I guess it really helped we are on a new estate and we all moved in within weeks of each other. That way, we are all in the same boat :)

I've always had my neighbours vetted before moving. That's why i'm in Bucks and not London :D

When I was literally moving into my house, I glanced across the street to the sounds of a woman shouting at a child in the passenger seat of a small car. This woman was making an awful racket...

Then all of sudden this child jumped out and literally started fly kicking and punching this women.

Turns out the women was shouting at her child and her child is a total nutter.

Welcome to the Neighbourhood!

When I was literally moving into my house, I glanced across the street to the sounds of a woman shouting at a child in the passenger seat of a small car. This woman was making an awful racket...

Then all of sudden this child jumped out and literally started fly kicking and punching this women.

Turns out the women was shouting at her child and her child is a total nutter.

Welcome to the Neighbourhood!

Too late to stop the exchange? LOL!

A old neighbour on one side I'm sure she takes regular excursions on a broomstick. A real cantankerous old witch, I tried to be pleasant but you can only try so many times. Now I'm afraid if she kicks the bucket the only time I'll phone the authorities is when she starts smelling.

The rest of the street has had a lot of immigrants in the past 2 or 3 years but each one will let on one way or another.

The bloke who lives opposite me is out on bail at the moment. Hes a suspected peadophile.

The lady who live next door is quite pleasant though.

Family on one side, we are very close to. In and out of each others houses for brews all day and regularly more wine than we should at night. Help babysit and pick up their kid from nursery when they have problems etc etc. Family on the other side, i wouldnt be able to pick them out in a police ID parade, I honestly think they are vampires.:shrug:

Only two cottages in this lane. Us, and the old gamekeeper and his wife (very nice people).

Up the hill are fine and keep our spare key. Down the hill have never forgiven us for buying this place from under their nose (I could pay and complete faster which was more important to the seller than the extra cash down the hill offered). Most others in the road are OK. I know a lot of the surnames but only because a previous relief postman couldn't tell one number from the next so it was a lottery as to where letters got delivered. Too many cars parked on the road despite most houses having drives for 2.

we have a little old lady next door and shes great, she was born in the house she lives in and knows practicly everything about the goings on in this road and knows alot about the history of my house as well. shes always polite, takes parcels in for me even if she cant move them once the postmans put them down.

the other side is a rented house which appears to be full of foreigners, dont know anything about them but they appear to be very polite and quiet, much better then the previous renters who played music mika so loud it was unbelievable and more worrying you could hear the baby crying over the top of it!

at my parents the neighbours are generally very nice (they come over for drinks and viceaversa), apart from the bloke at the end of the terrace who has threatened both me and my dad at various points and been rude to practically everyone on the terrace.

Last edited:
There are 9 houses in my street, I have Gordon at one side and Sheila (don't know their surnames) at the other. That's the only thing I know about any of the street after 14 years. Others in the street will say hello and such, but I don't know any names.

I have know the family that lives behind me for donkeys years and would trust them.

Thanks for replies on this..
In my friends case it's the fact that nearly everyone is totally two-faced to him, so he will not be able to trust his neighbours in future..wherever he lives.

The two women live one side of me want to know our business and don't miss a trick. We were pleasant with them until one Sunday afternoon one of them started to remove the boiler flue (!) off my kitchen wall as it was in the way of her garden plans. Needless to say since, the garden fence is the 51st Parallel. :cautious: :bat:

The other side are both teachers and we get on fine, sharing time in each others gardens, drinks BBQ, dinner etc.

The bloke two doors up one way told my GF when we moved in..."dont worry there's no need to be afraid!" :shrug: :wacky:

The two two doors up the other way continually shout and moan at the kid to the point it gets a bit worrying. :thumbsdown:

20 years I've been here and I've only just discovered that my neighbour two doors down is called David. Still don't know his surname though :LOL:

Neighbours are a necessary evil, they don't have to be your friends, if you fall out with friends you never have to see them again, you'll have to move not to see your neighbours again, i'm pleasant to mine, i'll lend them stuff, help out if they're stuck but I don't want to be friends with them.

They keep having parties and barbecues, I'm running out of excuses :LOL:

The last one was a few weeks ago, my wife said he's going to a charity do, a bloody charity do, why couldn't she say someone's birthday :bonk: luckily they didn't ask questions

In our last two houses we did not get too friendly with our neighbours,we spoke but did not get too close.
We decided we wanted a little more privacy and asked politely if they would mind going 50/50 and I would erect a nice fence, not a cheap panel fence but a proper job with posts and rails.
Neither wanted to contribute and when the fences went up the trouble started.
That was the main reason for our present house with no neighbours at all apart from sheep, I love not having any neighbours.

Borats Baby... do we live on the same road!

The guy next door but one to me is a convicted peadophile.... Only found out last night and it made me fell sick, really disgusted.

I'm not sure, I dont think mine has been convicted yet..

Without giving out too much info for obvious reasons, he drives a silver car and lives next door to a bloke called Ian.

Ian has a white van.

Oi I drive a silver car and live next door to a bloke called Ian, luckily Ian has a red car or I would have handed myself in :p

Oi I drive a silver car and live next door to a bloke called Ian, luckily Ian has a red car or I would have handed myself in :p

Doesn't your neighbour Ian drive a white van at work? :thinking: :cautious:

Time for you to beat yourself up hand yourself in to the police :naughty:

Back