Your opinion on my lighting please. (more shots added)

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I am doing a portrait shoot tomorrow for my friend who is graduating uni, and his mum would like me to do a portrait for her. The only info I have so far is she would like it in B&W and on a black backdrop.

I would like your opinions on the lighting I have used in these test shots. The guy in the images is one of my unfortunate house mates who was unlucky enough to be close by (I just said stand here and try not to look to unhappy lol)

These shots are right from the camera no editing apart from a crop - I would just like advice on which of the following looks the most effective for this "type" of graduation/prom (i don't know quite what to class it as) portrait

I do have my own opinion on which I prefer but I would like to know your opinions first :)

( ooo was also an excuse to test out the new 17-50mm Tamron 2.8 I received yesterday - must say I am very impressed so far!)

Set up:

Key light, camera left high up - shot through an umbrella - 1/4 power
Fill light, camera right on axis - fired into a reflective umbrella - varying power depending on shot.
White reflector just below subject.

1. - key light only (maybe use the other flash as a hair-light for another possibility?)
IMG_5553.jpg

2. - slight fill
IMG_5554.jpg

3. - more fill
IMG_5555.jpg

4. - tad more fill
IMG_5556.jpg

Let me know what you think - if you think I could be doing something better or a different way, please let me know :)

I think you've done a pretty good job here.

Personal preference (FWIW)? No.1 for this subject.

But you won't be photographing the same subject, and you may find that No.3 is more flattering.
Do you have a third light? If so, then I think a hair light would be a very good idea against a black background. Maybe you have a hotshoe flash that you can use for this?

Rob

I like the 1st one.

Can you not experiment by putting the key light on the right instead of the left.

A bounce light on the hair will, I think, look great.

There is a slight burn out on the forehead; which may not be there for your other friend, depending on her skin/makeup.

I think you've done a pretty good job here.

Personal preference (FWIW)? No.1 for this subject.

But you won't be photographing the same subject, and you may find that No.3 is more flattering.
Do you have a third light? If so, then I think a hair light would be a very good idea against a black background. Maybe you have a hotshoe flash that you can use for this?

Thanks Garry, I also prefer the 1st one so I'm glad you agree - the guy I will be photographing tomorrow has pretty rugged features so I think that this kind of lighting would suit him well - time will tell!
Unfortunately I don't have another light available because I'm already using both hotshoe flashes to light the subject... I think I'll have to grab another soon though, as I find could use a third light very often. Hopefully I can get away with it this time if i'm only using one keylight to light the subject. Also the guy tomorro has a lot fairer hair which should help.

Rob

I like the 1st one.

Can you not experiment by putting the key light on the right instead of the left.

A bounce light on the hair will, I think, look great.

There is a slight burn out on the forehead; which may not be there for your other friend, depending on her skin/makeup.

I'm afraid I'm very short of space on the other-side because my bed is there (oh the joys of having my set up in my room) :( but thanks for the suggestion, maybe I could give it a try anyway :)
I'll have a play around and see what I can sort for a hair light

Is there a way to change the pose and maybe shoot a little wider as it'll make the image more interesting

Absolutely, there should be plenty of space for shooting wider - I think the shoot tomorrow will be mostly 1/2 body shots with maybe a few head and shoulder shots.

Unfortunately I'm not to experienced with male posing its sad to say... I usually photograph women (typical I know :LOL:) suggestions would be very appreciated. In these shots however it was mainly lighting I was testing rather than poses :)

For a graduation portrait the subject will presumably be wearng a gown - black? If so a back/hair light would certainly highlight his hair and shoulders to give separation from the background.

For a graduation portrait the subject will presumably be wearng a gown - black? If so a back/hair light would certainly highlight his hair and shoulders to give separation from the background.

This is possible, and I would expect it... but for some reason I have a feeling he wont be wearing the robes - best to be prepared however! I think the back/hair light is going to be a must with this one :)

I would have checked these things in advance but its been rather "sprung" on me as these things often are :bonk:

what would be the best way to go about back lighting the subject out of interest... is the use of a bounce card/reflector advised? or just simply point the flash at the subject from behind?

what would be the best way to go about back lighting the subject out of interest... is the use of a bounce card/reflector advised? or just simply point the flash at the subject from behind?
As far as bounce cards are concerned, the inverse square law is your enemy here, the light will have to travel past the subject to the bounce card, then back again to the hair, by which time it will have lost virtually all of its power, plus the loss from the fact that the bounce card won't reflect all of the light that reaches it anyway.
You can minimise the effect by moving the light further from the subject, but of course that will affect the quality of the light and make it much harder.
You need a 3rd flash.

As you're only using low powered hotshoe flashes you could of course turn them down, use a large aperture and use a continuous light on the hair. This can be effective, especially in black and white as the colour temp won't matter.

As far as bounce cards are concerned, the inverse square law is your enemy here, the light will have to travel past the subject to the bounce card, then back again to the hair, by which time it will have lost virtually all of its power, plus the loss from the fact that the bounce card won't reflect all of the light that reaches it anyway.
You can minimise the effect by moving the light further from the subject, but of course that will affect the quality of the light and make it much harder.
You need a 3rd flash.

As you're only using low powered hotshoe flashes you could of course turn them down, use a large aperture and use a continuous light on the hair. This can be effective, especially in black and white as the colour temp won't matter.

Perhaps its time to finally make use of the old desk lamp :LOL:, cheers for the suggestion :)

A hair light would be good to try.

I prefer it with a bit of fill from the second light, but I think you might be able to replicate that with another reflector (silver foil on card?) which would free up your second flash for the hair light.

Well I did some shots today of the guy - I think it went pretty well, he is happy with the results which is good. We decided to keep them in colour for now because the b&w conversion didn't really do much for them...

Ended up using one light for key lighting, then using my other as a hair light while using a reflector for fill (in some)

He turned up in jeans and a jumper :nono:...so I stuck him in one of my suits to more fit the occasion lol :LOL:

Here are a few images from the shoot in case you were interested.

IMG_5572.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5586.jpg

Scary looking guy! Was he taking this seriously - jeans and a jumper?
Don't see any evidence of the hair light but given his demeanour they look fine!

not the smiling type I agree :) I think it was more of a case I don't think he knew exactly what he wanted...

Back