Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I have been given a Zenit EM SLR with the following lenses
Helios-44M 2/58
Hanimex automatic 135mm f2.8
2x TC

I plan on buying an adapter to use these with my 40D, however the Hanimex lens appears to have been washed with sand ie there is sand inbetween the different rings and focus ring which grinds when turning my question is would it be fixable (worth fixing) or should I just bin it and buy a carl zeis 135 f3.5 I have seen in my local charity shop.

I'd just get the zeis. The odds of this being economically repaired are remote.

Don't bin the Helios, fine scratches won't matter one bit.

Agree regarding the lens. A lens CLA will cost in the region of £40-50 so it's really not worth it.

The scratched Helios might give you some interesting effects. I'd be tempted to run a roll of PoundLand film through it and shoot plenty of pictures into the light. The Helios have an interesting effect on the out-of-focus areas too, search flickr for examples.

No they'll be find but the sand in the focus isn't worth living with.

That's the Hanimex one, there is no mention of sand in the Helios.

Thanks everyone for the replies the Helios is sand free and apart from the fine scratches works as it should ie smooth focus ring no oil on blades etc just been looking at the helios 44 group on flickr and it certainly looks to pretty sharp and it is a bit more of a sturdy lens compared to the canon 50mm 1.8 which is of course plastic.

I really appreciate you stopping by and giving me advice

Back