Your PP software

Edit My Images
No
Hi. Just wondered what PP software people use? I personally like to use GIMP. I know it's not as powerful as Lightroom or even Photoshop.
Just let me know what you use and possibly why. Also have you used anything different from what you use now?

Initially, I used Picassa, then onto Photoshop cs3, currently paying the monthly subscription to adobe creative cloud for Lightroom and Photoshop cs6.
I must say that Lightroom is my favourite so far.
If you are satisfied with gimp, then I would see no reason to change until such time as you want something a little more sophisticated.

I use Nikon Capture NX-D which is a free software for processing Nikon "NEF" format. It's based on the "Silkypix" software but only works with files from Nikon digital cameras. If I need to work on DNG files from my Ricoh camera then Rawtherapee is what I use - it's free and very good, and works on pretty much any raw file from any camera.

Lightroom. Used to be Photoshop and Bridge, now just Lightroom with a tiny bit of Photoshop. Lightroom is very versatile and covers so many bases for a great price considering what else I pay for my kit and stuff!

I have a LR5 license but just subbed to the Adobe Photography CC thing so get LR and PS.

Lightroom and Photoshop.

Digikam, Gimp, Raw Therapee, Hugin.
Digikam is great for managing all the pictures and lets plug in Gimp, Raw Therapee and anything else for direct use alongside its own, very useful, non-destructive editor. As well as uploading directly to the web. It does a lot of other things, like batch editing/naming, exif editing, face recognition, geotagging etc too.

Last edited:
Adobe Elements 11 with Adobe Camera RAW..has everything I need and is user friendly (Do some bits in Windows Live which is under rated imo)

Robin

I use Elements 10 and I've just recently purchased the Topaz B&W Effects 2 plug-in.

LR4 with Elements 12, want to upgrde to LR5 soon, use Silver Efex Pro2 for my mono work.

Cliff

Initially, I used Picassa, then onto Photoshop cs3, currently paying the monthly subscription to adobe creative cloud for Lightroom and Photoshop cs6.
I must say that Lightroom is my favourite so far.
If you are satisfied with gimp, then I would see no reason to change until such time as you want something a little more sophisticated.

Same here.

The new version of Gimp looks good, though.

Cheers.

UFRaw and Gimp here. I converted to Open source years ago, and even when I returned to a Microsoft OS, I felt more familiar with Gimp. I shoot in film, and then scan. My post process is pretty light anyway - some dust/hair healing, levels, sometimes curves, and of course straightening and cropping. UFRaw/Gimp serves all of my needs. I really don't like too much PP in my photography these days.

Capture One Pro 7 for raw conversion, I tried Lightroom and aperture and couldn't get on with them, one of the car photographers I work with recommended C1, I had the free trial and really got on well with it.

CS6 for heavier editing, my work is commission based so some months much better than others so I prefer to buy things when I've got plenty of cash sloshing about rather than pay monthly for CC.

Media Pro for cataloging, I got it in a bundle with C1 and whilst in C1 v7 you can run catalogs like Lightroom I've got into a process that works for me using media pro.

Lightroom 5 and Photoshop, but mostly LR5.

You've all given some great ideas. I'll definitely check some of them out.
Again thanks guys.

Lightroom 5 and Photoshop Elements 11. Used to have CS3 on my old PC, but decided to change when I got the iMac.

FastStone image viewer for culling and checking.. also for batch watermark or batch convert... This is my computers main pic viewer..

Photomechanic for filling out IPTC

Photoshop for all editing.... Tried lightroom.. looks and feels like a toy.. too many things automated out of my control such as file handling...

capture one express & photo ninja

Both because I like how they work with X-Trans RAFs (& as a PC user I can't try ID!!)

C1 is good for a warm look & PN is great for detail

It's probably a beta version.
Adobe don't have "beta" versions - they normally release an "RC" version (Release Candidate).
Normally they inform registered users when this happens.

5.5 is probably a typo, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Lightroom 6 is rumoured to be coming soon.

Last edited:
Back