Your thoughts on heavy edits

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All

So this one image from last Saturday is what I can show from a comedy of errors and other mishaps...

19187-1508257537-8eee7bb580f168298f3820da7d9d27c0.jpg

After driving a while looking for foreground interest I finally saw this tree, stopped, jumped out and saw the spectacular bits disappear during the time I put up the tripod. I later managed to scrape my passengers from the inside of the windscreen glass...:D

I did manage to grab this one bit but I was still planning exposures etc while even this bit disappeared. Then I found my camera was still set to jpeg only after shooting a function days ago...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Anyhow, I feel it is worth sharing after all even though it is not destined for A1 canvas.

I have never been bothered to spend too much time blending exposures but would rather work from one image file. Any thoughts on going the blending way after all?

After some heavy-handed editing I came up with this:

19188-1508257800-635501051648f1c4c8a755efe0bf76b8.jpg

Last edited:
Way OTT on the saturation for me. The foreground is far to bright too.

I actually prefer the original by quite a margin and think with a drop of highlight via a grad filter (in Lightroom or the like) and a slight lift of the shadows, but still retaining the silhouette of the tree, would be quite pleasing

Way OTT on the saturation for me. The foreground is far to bright too.

I actually prefer the original by quite a margin and think with a drop of highlight via a grad filter (in Lightroom or the like) and a slight lift of the shadows, but still retaining the silhouette of the tree, would be quite pleasing
:agree::plus1:

I agree with Rich,

With that sky there's no way the foreground would naturally look like that.

It's not to say I really dislike it, but my brain tells me that's not how it should look if you catch my drift?

Cheers All and thanks for the comments.

I will see if I can do a rework along your comments and post that tonight still.

I suppose I pushed the green foreground for the sake of having the colours...

If I can get it to a good place I might just be tempted to try a medium canvas...

Anyone bored enough who would like to have a go at a good crop or keep 2x3 as is? Feel free to play and post if you like and have nothing better to do...

You can have a strong edit without going ott.
Seen as you Allow for your images to be edited this is what i came up with (quick and dirty edit in Snapseed)
I also cropped the image to take away the top part of the clouds away as they dont really add anything and the revised crop puts the horizon on the bottom third of the image (rule of thirds)
Its not perfect (not meant to be) but it will demonstrate how you can get more impact without overloading the image

19187-1508257537-8eee7bb580f168298f3820da7d9d27c0-01.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have a strong edit without going ott.
Seen as you Allie for your images to be edited 5gis is what i came up with (quick and dirty edit in Snapseed)
I also cropped the image to take away tje top part of the clouds as they dont really add anything and the revised crop puts the horizon on the bottom third of the image (rule of thirds)
Its not perfect (not meant to be) but it will demonstrate how you can get more impact without overloading the image

View attachment 112687

I love it!

Will see if I can come up with something close in PS CC.

So I came up with this...

19189-1508263741-0f0113ad26b1ef2f70425f04d410c434.jpg

Will play more soon but must get some work done now...not quite able to reproduce those lovely golden tones you did but will keep trying.

Cheers All and thanks again!(y)

Last edited:
So I came up with this...

19189-1508263741-0f0113ad26b1ef2f70425f04d410c434.jpg

Will play more soon but must get some work done now...not quite able to reproduce those lovely golden tones you did but will keep trying.

Cheers All and thanks again!(y)

Looks good for a 'heavy edit'.

I prefer the orange tint in Stupar's version above though. Yours in a little too purple which looks slightly unnatural.

Tricky to join up the two bright parts of the sky, contextually; might even be worth cropping the right side one out or dropping its brightness significantly to stop it drawing your eye away from the tree which, for me, has to be the focal point of the shot.

Back