your thoughts please

Edit My Images
Yes
I have attached a couple of photos which I took using my old point and shoot, I love portrait photography and wondered if you could give me some pointers in how to get better photos using my new DSLR. Any help is appreciated

holly3.jpg

matthew.jpg

As you can see I do like the close ups, I like to see the facial expressions!

Second one is lovely, on first glance I though it was a little flat, but looking for longer I think its perfect, it reminds me of a film Photograph printed on low contrast paper. A nice Picture, the first is a little ' shrug shoulders'

Second one is lovely, on first glance I though it was a little flat, but looking for longer I think its perfect, it reminds me of a film Photograph printed on low contrast paper. A nice Picture, the first is a little ' shrug shoulders'

Thanks Emma, I am really happy you liked the second one, so do I! At least I know I am doing something right. What do you mean when you say shrug shoulders? Do you mean it is indifferent? If so i know what you mean it doesn't have the same impact as the second one. Thanks again

Oh, I meant, its a pleasing enough snap,but the second is really rather good. I love snap shot style pics, they are way undervalued, Capa took many snapshots throughout his career, they are now classed as 'Fine Art' there is a fine line between 'point and shoot' with no thought to anything other than capturing whats in front of you, and the snapshot thats had even a brief amount of thought put into it. Check out This one of Pablo Picasso and his son, taken by Robert Capa, its one of my all time fave pictures.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...ert+capa+picasso&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&safe=off

I love the 1st image & think that with a levels adjustment, brightness/contrast & a bit of a sharpen it'll look ace (y)

2nd shot is very nicely taken too but they both seem a tad flat for my liking. Just my opinion of course.

This may not be the kind of toning that you were going for but I've had a quick edit of the 1st image (same adjustments as mentioned above)

holly31.jpg

You've definitely got the right idea with your compositions & expressions, looking forward to seeing more with your new DSLR. Nicely done (y)

i too prefer the first image and think it is much improved with the adjustments moomike has made. its a beautiful shot. that girl looks so sweet and mischeivous all at the same time. keep sharing. :)

Thanks a lot for that Moomike - that is so much better with the adjustments. Could you get that affect just using your camera or would you need to in post processing?

FBox - cute and mischievous sums her up completely!

Moomike, I have just tried to edit my photo to get a similar effect but I can't! I have altered the levels, brightness and contrast and sharpened it but can't get the effect you have. Can you tell me what settings you used? Thanks again

Back