Your top tips for 'on location' group shots *PICS ADDED*

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon all

I've got a fairly regular corporate gig now that involves doing group shots of around 20 or so people for a Business school. As thread title, these are always 'on location' ie not in a studio or anything like that. I don't particularly enjoy doing group 'line up' shots like this as such, but it pays some bills.

I normally take them outside whenever possible which has worked out ok in the past, but when the weather is bad (like today was) we had no option but to do them inside at the venue. And there wasn't anywhere decent to fit 20 people without it being horribly cluttered in the background, awful light etc etc.

I think the thing I struggle most with is trying to arrange the group in a decent line up, in often poor surroundings with very limited time (I had 5 minutes tops today for example). People also seem to lose their brains a bit when they get en mass.

I guess what I'm asking (will get there in the end :)) is what top tips you have for arranging a group of this size indoors when the environment is a bit lacking and you only have 5 minutes or so, and how do you make the most of a bad room/ venue? How do you make them stand/ sit. We didn't even have any chairs today, so I had to do 2 rows, the front row crouched like an 80's footy team shot.

It all looks a bit messy though to be honest, and I'm not happy. Gear wise I was using the D3 with SB-800 on, bouncing off the ceiling (which was at least white, but very low). For indoors the lighting set up is obviously key, and I'm about to emabark on the strobist journey and get another couple of SB 600's for some off camera lighting fun, so that may be the way forward.

**EDIT - thought I'd add some pics to help illustrate ***

1. This is one I'm pleased with. Outdoors, great backdrop, with a pretty good formation of people

2. This is the one from yesterday. Indoors, bad light, fairly cluttered cramped location

Last edited:
In terms of grouping if you've got a small room and no chairs, etc. you don't really have much choice other than kneeling front row or odds and evens standing.

When it's low don't bounce the flash off the ceiling, point it backwards and bounce it off the wall behind you instead.

Hi pxl8

Didn't think of bouncing from behind - good tip. However, in this case it wouldn't have actually worked as it was windows behind me (not that any useful light was coming through - was very dim outside and raining).

How do you mean odds and evens standing? (brain has slowed down)

Two rows, row behind are offset so their heads are between the shoulders of the front row. Ideally split the group so the tallest half are at the back.

With you now! Yes, that's another good alternative. There always seems to be a vast range of height difference in these groups though for some reason, so that's one to watch.

Is there a quick and easy way to get a nice even or symmetrical spread of heights in a group shot? I've thought about making everyone make a line first of all in order of height, and then arranging them from that. If you just 'let' people form lines they do it any order so you get lots of height variation in the standing up lines, which looks a bit crap.

Or, should I consider doing a less formal arrangement and go for something a bit more relaxed and creative?

Well, if you want relaxed and creative :D

Actually that's not a bad idea, you could arrange them all quite casually, leaning against walls, doorframes etc and shoot them with something really wide, almost fisheye!

You could also pop a couple of flashes outside the windows and create your own light :)

I'm not sure relaxed would suit the a class photo from business school and you run the risk of people not feeling relaxed but give it a try sometime and see how it works.

Getting the group organised is just about getting bossy:

You (points at tall bloke), you're too tall go stand and the back. You (points at short lady), you're too gorgeous to hide at the back, come stand at the front so we can admire you.

A bit of banter will get them relaxed, smiling and doing what you want. At weddings there's always one lady that will go to the back and hide behind someone tall. Soon as they do I bring them out to the front and say that as they were trying to hide they now need to sing everyone a song or that I'll get everyone to get in a circle and take photos of him/her. Basically something to embarass them (but keep it lighthearted and cheeky), then they're happy to get back in the group but won't hide again and nor will anyone else ;)

Something different might work for you but the key is to engage them, get their attention and then they'll co-operate (y)

Use stairs if possible??

Make sure the people stand at an angle rather than square on with the more important members of the group central.

Get high up take a small set of step ladders if necessay.

Thanks you lot - good advice here, exactly the sort of thing I'm after.

I can do the cheeky banter, big cheesy grin and turn on the charm, but it depends what mood I'm in myself sometimes :D :razz:

It also depends on the group. Last month I had 20ish Nigerians, only one spoke English apart from the course leader, and they were a bit direct (well, basically rude) to say the least. It's difficult to turn the charm on in those situations. I think bossy but polite is key but you have to play it by ear sometimes.

Also, formal or more relaxed is a similar dilemma and depends on the group perhaps.

Back