Your wish list?

S

Steve

I am curious, I consider my self a lucky and privileged person in as much as I have almost all the equipment I would like.

My current next want would probably be a Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM lens as I occasionally find the 200mm a tad short.

Obviously we would all upgrade if someone was giving it to us for free but staying within realistic boundaries, if you could upgrade all or some of your equipment with a view to getting the most out of your photography, what equipment would appear in that list?

well seeing as i only have a 300d kit, the following would be great

70 - 300mm lens
50mm lens
tubes?
battery grip
flash, ring flash
the list could go on

To add to my current (and small 10d kit), I would add
A decent tripod - my current one is a 10 year old $30 broken Velbon. This should be resolved this week though [smilie=w:
A wider lens then my current 28-75 Tamron XR di (I like landscape and architectural photos)
A flash such as the 550 (I miss the fl-40 I had with my oly c-5050)
BTW does anyone in the US or CA want to by my FL-40??? (sorry for the shameless plug :eek:ops: )
A 50mm macro too.

Other than that, there is no other major equipment. Maybe some more filters.

Ahhhhh one of these days... :wink:

*edit* oh, I forgot to add a backpack too. I've been looking at some Tamrac's and Lowepro's

Apart from a yak and a small team of sherpas, the only thing currently on my list of 'Ways to Become Poor' is the Tamron 18-200 Di-II, when it hits the shops. Although it is bound to be something of a compromise (slow at telephoto end), it looks like a good general purpose lens that would save having to carry the whole bags of tricks around all the time. :)

I recently found myself doing some street photography, wishing I had a smaller unobtrusive camera so I got a Canon Powershot S60 at the weekend which is a cracking camera offering good quality images, full manual control and RAW. I think the only thing now that I occasionally feel a real need for is a decent macro lens, so I might just treat myself soon. Other than that the all-round performance of a 1D mark II would suit me down to the ground. I don't think it would improve my photography much but it would future-proof me as I can't see how any improvement to it's spec would help me at all. I have a plan to get one cheap when it's discontinued.

wish list huh, [smilie=c: oh you mean camera gear right?lol Well first off I need me a new camera which I should have in about 3 weeks or so, hopefully. After that, all I really want is a macro lens as well. I think I would really enjoy that alot. As far as anything else I really don't know what I'll need or want until I"m really into it. I have to pace myself here anyway, I'm beginning to realise how damn expensive my love for photography is! It's crazy! How do you all keep up with the latest and greatest things out there?
Jewel.

I really, really want a 300mm L F2.8. It's the ultimate sports lens and is also the sharpest lens Canon make. Maybe in a couple of years :(

I need a gimbal head for the 800mm lens.

I wish for lots of items, including a new camera body.
But I can't see it happening until she gets her new kitchen. :crying:

jewel said:
wish list huh, [smilie=c: How do you all keep up with the latest and greatest things out there?
Jewel.[/quote]
You don't really have to do that Jewel, which is why the impending purchase of your SLR is so important. It's the basis of a whole system of lenses and accessories which you can acquire as and when you need or can afford them. Nikon have been particularly good in that their lens mount hasn't changed at all so you've no worries on that score if you're still going with the D70.

A telephoto zoom, either the 70-200 F4.0 L or the Sigma F2.8.

CT said:
Nikon have been particularly good in that their lens mount hasn't changed at all so you've no worries on that score if you're still going with the D70.

I'm hearing some very good things about this camera - it's looking to be even better than the D100, which we use for surveillance work - the D1X/H being used for PR work.
A friend of mine in the BBC has just bought one and the images are stunning - easily better than what I'm getting on the D1X (the D2X should take care of that though... :LOL: ).

The D70 also has a 1/500th flash sync speed which is a serious consideration.

My wish list is a bit worrying ...
50mm 1.4 but probably the 50mm 1.8 makes sense on cost alone.
Something wider than my current 16mm (probably a prime lens)
Something Macro
Something around 300mm
Something longer still.
Right angle finder - at least I'll only have to kneel in the mud not lie full length in it.
Top end flashgun

Now I'm depressed. :crying:

:D Consider the 300mm f/4L IS + Kenco 1.4x TC - kills two birds with one stone. A flippin' expensive stone, but still cheaper than most of the alternatives!

I can't see a super-wide prime lens that doesn't need a third mortgage. The Sigma 12-24 is good if you don't need front-mounted filters, but the choice of wide zooms is increasing.

Extension tubes are cheaper than a macro lens.

Angle finder is a brilliant idea - good for manual focusing as well as keeping drier. :wink:

Having done a shoot of a school play in low light i'm wondering about a mid range zoom.

The 50mm 1.8 is fine as long as you can move around and the 17-40 was just a little too slow even at iso 1600. Unfortunatley i couldn't really move to compose the shots - still got some good ones though :)

So i'm thinking:

Canon 28-135 f4-5.6 USM IS - can't decide if the IS will compensate for f5.6 at the long end.

Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR DI - Needs no introduction to me as i had a Nikon fit one. Unsure about focus speed and no IS. Range not a problem really.

Canon 18-85 IS - I think this is too expensive and would make the 17-40L redundant. If i wanted this lens i think i'd have bought it in the first place. Also quality control is suspect.

Canon 50mm f1.4 USM - Thinking purely for the faster focus, but i can't see me buying this one.

I'm not rushing on this one as i'm pretty happy with what i have but i do feel my flexibility would be improved, at the expense of less use from the 50mm f1.8 i already have.

One definately for the future i suspect will be a 300mm f4.

IS on the 28-135 will give you about 2-3 stops in terms of shutter speed, so effectively equivalent to the Tamron (slower shutter instead of wider aperture, if you see what I mean). Although the 28-135 is one of the better non-L Canon lenses, the Tamron 28-75 is likely to be sharper, and should also focus better in low light because of the wider aperture.

Overall, for low light work, I'd probably go for the Tamron.

The Edge said:
Canon 28-135 f4-5.6 USM IS - can't decide if the IS will compensate for f5.6 at the long end.

The 28-135 IS wouldn't compensate for a lower aperture.
IS was developed to help reduce blur from camera shake so at the shutter speeds required in low light they would be too slow and your subjects would be blurred.

SDK^ said:
The 28-135 IS wouldn't compensate for a lower aperture.
IS was developed to help reduce blur from camera shake so at the shutter speeds required in low light they would be too slow and your subjects would be blurred.

Thats pretty much what i thought too, though i was tempering that with the though that for the specific circumstances outlined above it would be operating at f4 as it would be no longer than about 50mm and that in general it's probably the more flexble of the two and focusses faster due to usm. It's also a little cheaper ;)

As i said i'm in no rush and will pronanly not leap into this until i've missed the lens a few more times :)

The top of my affordable wish list is the Canon 200f2.8. Attached to my 1.6 crop factor bodies it makes a good value 320mm f2.8 (effectively!)

Top of my "wish list" has to be a 1DS mkII! (I was promised a "go" with one that will be on loan to us at work, alas it will not get to my place, its going to Cosford instead. I had planned an afternoon at the local Raptor centre to give it a work out. Never mind :crying: ) I'd settle for the 1D MkII (can't afford it!)

Lens wise, I'd love to replace my 70-200 f4 with the f2.8 version, again I can't afford it (yet :wink: )

mmm... My Wishlist... mmm...it could be so laaarge.. but looking at my wallet and beeing realistic, my next buy will be:

CANON 20D with the 18-55mm USM Lens

of course, when I enough savings.

Actually I have:
• Canon S70 (my only digital so far and the one I been using lately)
• Canon A1, with 50mm. (Old but really good camera)
• Canon Rebel XS with Kit Lens.
Lenses:
• Canon 28-105 USM
• Canon 75-300 USM
Flash:
Canon Speedlite 430EZ

I recently had the chance to buy a secondhand Canon 300mm F4 IS USM lens for £650, bearing in mind that it is the only thing on my wishlist I am a bit dissapointed that I currently am not in a position where I can afford it. :( Why do these always come along at the wrong time? Its that law of sod again :LOL:

just to add onto what I had previously said in my last post , one toy I do know that I wish to have is a lensbaby. Any of you out there use those? Do you like them or not? I like the dreamy effect it gives.
Regards, Jewel :D

yeeha, I need to change my wish list, my 70-200 F4L arrived today.

dod said:

Ohh congratulations on the new purchase. I presume that you are hoping to get out at the weekend and give it a proper try out?

Steve said:
dod said:

Ohh congratulations on the new purchase. I presume that you are hoping to get out at the weekend and give it a proper try out?

Hoping to, managed a quick shot tonight just as a trial, really very impressed :) Here's a linky as it's a bit bigger than 700 wide

http://premium1.uploadit.org/scottydod//signet.jpg

Nice sharp capture :wink: Thats the problem with this lens, its really sharp and you get addicted to the quality, if your other lenses are not in the same league it will show them up for sure.

Steve said:
Nice sharp capture :wink: Thats the problem with this lens, its really sharp and you get addicted to the quality, if your other lenses are not in the same league it will show them up for sure.

Looks like I've got one of the less good examples :( Severely backfocussing when using autofocus at 70-100mm at F4. Not so bad closed down a bit and spot on at 130-200. Having said that I think it's probably the camera, I've got a similar issue with my 28-105. Going to have to send it in for calibration.

70mm straight from cam

70mmauto.jpg

200mm

200mmauto.jpg

While that first picture is not showing good results, as you have said you are having similar issues with another lens the chances are that it is the camera and not the lenses at fault, although it is possible. Before you send the camera back for calibration is there no way you can test it with some more glass just to make sure?

Reasonably sure it is the camera Steve, I've seen the same thing with my 100 Macro, 50 F1.8 and 28-105. Time to accept the fact and send it back in :(

dod said:
Reasonably sure it is the camera Steve, I've seen the same thing with my 100 Macro, 50 F1.8 and 28-105. Time to accept the fact and send it back in :(

In that case, having the same issue with so much glass it seems you are correct. I hope it doesn't take so long to get sorted and be back with you.

Steve said:
In that case, having the same issue with so much glass it seems you are correct. I hope it doesn't take so long to get sorted and be back with you.

Well I took my old 1000F apart today to see if I could find out what was wrong with it. Turned out to be a slack connection so got it working again. I'm going to try my lenses on it tomorrow to check what's going on.

got my sigma today, so gonna scratch that offf the list, waiting for my battery grip to arrive now...

My 50mm 1.4 was just delivered. What a zonking piece of glass! 8)

dod said:
Well I took my old 1000F apart today to see if I could find out what was wrong with it. Turned out to be a slack connection so got it working again. I'm going to try my lenses on it tomorrow to check what's going on.

And the verdict is the 10D, everything taken with the 1000F has came back sharp as anything, all lenses, especially the 70-200. Ah well, at least I know what the problem is :(.

dod said:
dod said:

And the verdict is the 10D, everything taken with the 1000F has came back sharp as anything, all lenses, especially the 70-200. Ah well, at least I know what the problem is :(.

Has it always been the same? Just wondering if the camera has had a knock at some time. I'd be inclined to set the camera on a tripod and take some close up pics of something with plenty of detail - a brick wall is ideal. Use a remote release or delayed timer to eliminate all possibility of camera movement. If they're unsharp with all lenses, you can safely say something in the camera is out of whack.

CT said:
Has it always been the same?

I'll say probably, I bought it second hand from a retailer and the warranty which came with it has expired. Certainly hasn't been dropped or banged since I've had it. On a number of occasions I've felt that it just wasn't right but given that most of the time I'm either using manual focus on macro's or small apertures for landscapes etc it hasn't really been an issue. It was just when I got the 70-200 it became blatantly obvious.

As far as testing it I took the same shots with both cams on a tripod immediately after each other, definitely different results.

Damn thats harsh Dod !

Hope it doesnt cost too much to put right !

Thinks if he should take up Jessops 3 year warranty with accidental cover on his 20d !!!!!

My wish list ! 100-400 IS L thingy :LOL: ! Battery grip, remote timer release and a.n other shorter L series lens ! oh and if anybody can find the talent shop i could do with a little more of that ! ;) lol

The talent shop is just around the corner, and it has a special offer on, everything is free. :D

Seeing as I've just ditched Nikon, and gone over to the dark side, I'd like a set of fast, constant aperture lenses in EF fit. :LOL:

Back