Youtube: Mangled chopper

photon

Edit My Images
Yes
[youtube]GLB3TD_vSEk[/youtube]

Looks like fun. Considering that's my daily commute to work via chopper.

Someone deserves a serious job loss over what happened there.... Starting with the pilot. How could he have not seen the cables?

I saw this on the news, why did it snap in two (the tail fell off) just as the rotor tips touched the metal column, and I do mean the very instant they hit. In fact I'm not sure if the tail fell off BEFORE the rotor blades hit anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on the news, why did it snap in two (the tail fell off) just as the rotor tips touched the metal column, and I do mean the very instant they hit. In fact I'm not sure if the tail fell off BEFORE the rotor blades hit anything.
I could only imagine it was because of the forces that the collision to the main rotor had on the drive shaft going to the rear rotor through the tail.

My first thought was of the bravery of the other workers. There seemed no hesitation in jumping in and rescuing the pilot.

My first thought was of the bravery of the other workers. There seemed no hesitation in jumping in and rescuing the pilot.

absolutely. youd like to think that people would come running to help if it were you inside something like that too..

Someone deserves a serious job loss over what happened there.... Starting with the pilot. How could he have not seen the cables?

its speculation but theyre saying a cable somehow got looped underneath the aircraft. if they were underneath i guess it stands to reason they would be in a blindspot.

but either way without the investigation having reached conclusion, like the M5 crash, everyone will jump to their own conclusion.

There's an alternative camera angle and also an extended version on You tube. It shows a cable hung from the bottom of the heli which then loops up way above to a pylon to the side. The blades apparently hit this cable.

[YOUTUBE]Ww1_rJrTsCU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
its speculation but theyre saying a cable somehow got looped underneath the aircraft...........

if you freeze at 0.22secs, there is a cable running from bottom left corner to top middle of image

to me, it appears the rotor hit this

its speculation but theyre saying a cable somehow got looped underneath the aircraft. if they were underneath i guess it stands to reason they would be in a blindspot.

but either way without the investigation having reached conclusion, like the M5 crash, everyone will jump to their own conclusion.

Blindspot? ..... I would have thought that the pilot would have checked what he was landing on and what hazards there were?

Back