YouTube quality not good

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I ahve made a video and saved in Sony Vegas with there standard "Internet HD 1080p" that hs the desciption "
Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, AAC Video: 29.970 fps, 1920x1080 Progressive, YUV, 12 Mbps
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.000"

Looks fantastic (vid quality) on desktop but I aint convinced on yourtube.. Its a walk through the wood yesterday

If you have a minute.. Thoughts on vid playback quality ?
View: https://youtu.be/Wa0guxd6jw4

First attempt at this sort of thing... learnt a few things that i will change or do different next time :)

I presume it's the video compression - it doesn't like any kind of movement, blurring everything if it's not still.

It doesn't look high quality.
I've watched a lot of supposed high quality stuff on YouTube but not really noticed anything like that unless watching in 360p
I noticed that it defaults to 480p on the quality setting.

Last edited:
What was the footage recorded on? most UK stuff is 25fps, I've made many videos on Vegas pro for youtube and found it best to render at 640 x 360, 25fps and, constant bitrate as opposed to variable.
You can also save the template once you get it right so you don't have to keep faffing about with settings.
Also, if you should be using 25fps, make sure it's set to that in the dropdown "File-properties"

Last edited:
When I set the video playpack to 1080HD in yourtube it does look better.. problem seems to be setting itself to low quality :( will everyone know to change there settings.. doubt it :(

I record at 2.7k and 60fps ... to allow cropping in (gopro 7 black) and slow motion. . I then publish as mentioned above at 1080

Youtube is definitely causing some kind of weird compression. 60fps should be fine for all but the bits where your flitting round and then you will get blur.

Have you tried uploading it to Flickr or Vimeo and looking at it from there.

This is a similar sort of thing from my Flickr from a DJI drone at 2k 60 fps

click the picture

DJI_0012 by Chris Hamlet, on Flickr

Last edited:
does flikr do video ? I will have a ganders thanks

alwsys bene impressed with Vimeo but isnt that pay only?

Your video is quiet a low bit rate for the amount of detail you have in the frame along with the amount of movement and detail.

Try exporting your video as 4K even though it may not be shot in 4K using a data rate of about 40 Mbps and the VBR 2 pass setting if you have it. When you upload it youtube will then apply less compression as it uses a different level of compression for 4K. It will take much longer to render and upload but you will see how much compression youtube are applying.

Your video is quiet a low bit rate for the amount of detail you have in the frame along with the amount of movement and detail.

Because I ahve very little idea of what I am doing :) The "nternet HD 1080p" semed most appropriste :(

Try exporting your video as 4K even though it may not be shot in 4K using a data rate of about 40 Mbps and the VBR 2 pass setting if you have it. When you upload it youtube will then apply less compression as it uses a different level of compression for 4K. It will take much longer to render and upload but you will see how much compression youtube are applying.

I will look for 4k now thanks :)

aaargh

NEW QUESTION :)

Anyone with Sony Vegas Pro able to direct me to the best option for saving video made wiht go pro.. want to save as 1080

I ahve no idea what i am doing sorry :( I am able to edit the save setting but no idea whats best

I have a few videos on Flickr but not sure if you have to have a pro account.

I have a flickr account and nothing in it.. used to view others..just tried and it will let me load a video but not the size I have :(

Quoted from Flickr

Videos. Each video can be up to 1 GB. Video playback is constrained to the first 3 minutes for free members, and 10 minutes for Pro members.

aaargh

NEW QUESTION :)

Anyone with Sony Vegas Pro able to direct me to the best option for saving video made wiht go pro.. want to save as 1080

I ahve no idea what i am doing sorry :( I am able to edit the save setting but no idea whats best

actually the video looks fine on hd ....

Quoted from Flickr

Videos. Each video can be up to 1 GB. Video playback is constrained to the first 3 minutes for free members, and 10 minutes for Pro members.

haaa thanks :)

No probs, that's probably why I'm okay using Flickr. Video to me is a real black art which I too intend getting into more after lockdown softens up slightly and I can get out with my drones.
I've never really y bothered with Flickr but it's become a good reason to keep my Pro account.

I've started youtube wildlife videos and used divinci resolve 16 cause it was free and a great program to use. You can auto upload to YouTube after rendering too. Have had no issues with rendering on you tube yet

Here's YouTube recommended settings.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en-GB

Basically for 1080p30 you should be exporting to H. 264 and about 8mb/s otherwise YouTube will reencode it and it won't do a good job. If you have a busy scene (I watch mountain biking and through forests this really affects them) you won't have the data rate at 8mb/s to maintain a crisp image. You can counteract this by scaling your video up to 4k, 35mb/s because YouTube will allow a higher data rate at higher resolution. Hope this helps.

Back