youtube videos on photography

One channel I like regarding m43 is micro four nerds, Emily is down to earth and has some good vids about some real bargain lenses with plenty of examples.
Any channel that declares themselves "Vegan" on a camera bag review is totally banned.

One channel I like regarding m43 is micro four nerds, Emily is down to earth and has some good vids about some real bargain lenses with plenty of examples.

Yeah I've seen her, quite a character, and so are you db247, I've seen some of yours too. :giggle:

"How can you tell someone is vegan?"

I googled it but couldn't find a decent punchline. :exit:

For anyone shooting sports, football in particular, Mark Kerton's YouTube channel might be worth a look-see.

GC

No one needs a £25,000 computer for photography no matter what they are shooting.
Its quite easy to spec out a £25,000 computer these days as the highest capacity stuff is disproportionatly expensive in terms f price/Gb whatever. throw in things like a water cooling system and all the high end components and some top end screens, but your point about it being needed or if you can "get by" is very valid.

As for you tube videos I have found, along the way that sometimes they can do more harm than good as some video makers make some huge assumptions based on their path and experience rather than appreciating that everyones path is different and saying something is gospel in photography that a beginner will take at face value can be quite destructive. Example I have seen photographer say you need to understand flash to take your photography to the next level, however there are some successful pros who do not own a flash and their work is such that they can use ambient. Similarly I have heard youtube creators say you need strobe and cannot get away with just speedlights.

Last edited:
I like Steve O'nions videos. Mostly film photography but good inspiration and a great way to spend time.

I used to watch a lot of The Art of Photography video's but now it's only gear reviews. Ted Forbes should rename it The Tools of Photography. Really to bad he took that approach, his former videos were worthwhile, entertaining and educational to watch.

Daniel Norton is well worth a watch (not his adorama videos so much, more his personal philosophy, 10 minutes videos). To me he makes a lot of sense.

Me too, aother favourite was Craig Prentis but he hasn't put a video out for a while now. In fact a lot of photo vloggers seem to be reducing their output.

Unfortunately it seems that gear reviews get the most views so generate the most income/potential for brands to use the channel I learnt photography from froknowsphoto but it’s all news/reviews now so rarely watch much of that channel

A lot of the big YouTube photography channels are just about flogging your their Preset packs or learning guides and don’t offer any real advice for the Beginner. Some of them can be entertaining, much in the way that Top Gear or Grand Tour are, however you wouldn’t watch them for a serious car review. A lot of the content is just regurgitated and some of the photos taken aren’t half as good as some of the ones you see on here or other forums. I remember watching Jared Polin shoot a blue Mustang car and the photos looked like snapshots, same as most of his recent photos of Bernie Sanders and AOC. That said he did a visit to Paris and a walkabout and it was one of his best videos I thought.

The types of videos I do Find useful from these content creators are for ideas in posing models or ideas for locations. I found Mark Galer on YouTube who is a Sony ambassador and has some good content relating to the Sony mirrorless ecosystem and of course some of it is transferable to other cameras, worth pointing out his videos can be long though but they are full of content and he explaining it in-depth and not glossing over it as per most of the channels.

The 25k Mac has really ruffled a lot of feathers around the internet but for 99% of photographers I don’t see it offering anymore real world performance than a £5k Threadripper based PC, however each to their own

A lot of the big YouTube photography channels are just about flogging your their Preset packs or learning guides and don’t offer any real advice for the Beginner. Some of them can be entertaining, much in the way that Top Gear or Grand Tour are, however you wouldn’t watch them for a serious car review. A lot of the content is just regurgitated and some of the photos taken aren’t half as good as some of the ones you see on here or other forums. I remember watching Jared Polin shoot a blue Mustang car and the photos looked like snapshots, same as most of his recent photos of Bernie Sanders and AOC. That said he did a visit to Paris and a walkabout and it was one of his best videos I thought.

The types of videos I do Find useful from these content creators are for ideas in posing models or ideas for locations. I found Mark Galer on YouTube who is a Sony ambassador and has some good content relating to the Sony mirrorless ecosystem and of course some of it is transferable to other cameras, worth pointing out his videos can be long though but they are full of content and he explaining it in-depth and not glossing over it as per most of the channels.

The 25k Mac has really ruffled a lot of feathers around the internet but for 99% of photographers I don’t see it offering anymore real world performance than a £5k Threadripper based PC, however each to their own
Exactly this. Many (most) videos are just marketing tools, flogging either online training courses or gear.
Many are deliberately deceptive, showing heavily retouched shots that owe nearly all of their appeal to Photoshop rather than to the equipment or techniques shown in the videos.
Most of the presenters are "Celebrities" who don't need to actually know much, except how to present their wares well.

Exactly this. Many (most) videos are just marketing tools, flogging either online training courses or gear.
Many are deliberately deceptive, showing heavily retouched shots that owe nearly all of their appeal to Photoshop rather than to the equipment or techniques shown in the videos.
Most of the presenters are "Celebrities" who don't need to actually know much, except how to present their wares well.

Absolutely Garry, I like some of the channels and they can be quite entertaining but as you say; ultimately they are marketing. How may true beginners start with a £1500+ Camera body and lens setup using £1000+ primes with off camera lighting and assistants and professional models! If you are making beginner level videos then beginner level gear should be used surely?

My first Camera back in 2008 was a Sony a200 with 18-70mm Kit Lens which cost £299 and I watched videos by Gordon Laing to get a grip of the basics and really enjoyed just getting out there and using the camera. Where now it appears from the marketing and YouTube videos that should I be starting today I should be looking at a mirroless full frame camera costing around £2k and then extensive use of Photoshop/Lightroom to process the images. I think a lot of photographers just talk about the specs of the gear on forums rather than getting out there and using it.

Interestingly I gave that A200 away to my brother in law many years ago and it’s still working well today!

The main problem with, not only YouTube but the internet in general, is that anyone can set themselves up as an "Expert" and post any old rubbish or misinformation they want to.
I remember having a heated email exchange with one photography "expert" who was adamant that perspective changed as a result of using a different focal length lens, rather than a change of viewpoint.
The biggest problem, especially for novices, is identifying these people who are promoting wrong information and "fake news" and there seem to be some people who think that because it's on the web it must be true.
There are some extremely useful tutorials on YouTube and I have learned a lot, particularly manufacturer produced tutorials on using editing software.

I think the best thing is to find a presenter who seems to be "on your wavelength" and follow them, but never blindly accept anything you are told as the gospel truth.

I think the best thing is to find a presenter who seems to be "on your wavelength" and follow them, but never blindly accept anything you are told as the gospel truth.
I think the best thing is to look at a wide range of information, vidoes, websites, etc and see what the consensus is ...

... but then we are all different

Back