Yulin dog eating festival

I suppose all fish die out of water when their gills dry up and once they are dead their bodies start to change. So to be as fresh as possible before they are eaten they are kept alive in water, indeed there is a speciality dish in Japan where you pull the fish out of water, cut it up in front of the customer who then eats it while it is still moving.

The fish on the market stalls in Libourne were not kept in tanks, they were left flapping away until they suffocated on simple metal or wooden trays. There wasn't even any ice around them. I should add that they were mostly undersize flatfish which shouldn't have been caught in the first place.

The fish on the market stalls in Libourne were not kept in tanks, they were left flapping away until they suffocated on simple metal or wooden trays. There wasn't even any ice around them. I should add that they were mostly undersize flatfish which shouldn't have been caught in the first place.

don't understand your point in connection with what has been said

are you comparing eating fish with eating dogs and cruelty to dogs at the Yulin festival with how they are presented on the Libourne or any french market

what are you trying to say?

don't understand your point in connection with what has been said

are you comparing eating fish with eating dogs and cruelty to dogs at the Yulin festival with how they are presented on the Libourne or any french market

what are you trying to say?

At a guess, that leaving fish to die by just leaving them out of the water in the hot sun, is a cruel way to kill fish. And that animals are animals and cruelty to one is no better / worse than the other.

At a guess, that leaving fish to die by just leaving them out of the water in the hot sun, is a cruel way to kill fish. And that animals are animals and cruelty to one is no better / worse than the other.

so you are comparing a fish caught at sea, transported to market and put on a market stall, (saying that it is still alive) with the dogs killed at the Yulin Festival .. saying it is the same cruelty

don't know what to say really ... cannot provide an answer to that Andy and Andy

Do you both reckon we should eat dogs and/or fish .. or neither?

Do you think fish and Mammals have the same "feeling" regarding (death)?

Last edited:
so you are comparing a fish caught at sea, transported to market and put on a market stall, (saying that it is still alive) with the dogs killed at the Yulin Festival .. saying it is the same cruelty

don't know what to say really ... cannot provide an answer to that Andy and Andy

Do you both reckon we should eat dogs and/or fish .. or neither?

Do you think fish and Mammals have the same "feeling" regarding (death)?

I eat meat, I've been to countries where they eat dog. I have no issue with it.

Yes, they're both alive, so they'll both "feel" the same about death, Same with chickens, pigs, cows and horses.

I eat meat, I've been to countries where they eat dog. I have no issue with it.

Yes, they're both alive, so they'll both "feel" the same about death, Same with chickens, pigs, cows and horses.

I asked you two questions

Do you think fish have the same feelings as mammals? (towards death)

Do you think the cruelty you see in a fish on a french market stall is the same as the cruelty in the way the dogs are killed at the Yulin Festival, or indeed in China?

I can understand that you have no issue with people eating dogs

Do you really believe that fish have the same "feelings" as Mammals?

Last edited:

Do you think fish have the same feelings as mammals?

Do you think the cruelty you see in a fish on a french market stall is the same as the cruelty in the way the dogs are killed at the Yulin Festival, or indeed in China?

I can understand that you have no issue with people eating dogs

They're living things with brains that can feel pain, they're not made out of string. I see nothing to suggest a fish is any less aware of its impending death than a mammal. People just have more of a tendency to anthropomorphise mammals.

I don't know. But you're on a very slippery slope there. I bet I can find a fish that shows more awareness of its surroundings than a mammal. And then there are a lot of people whose IQ tests lower than say Alsatian dogs. You could argue that alsatians have a better understanding of death so it's a good idea to eat people with low IQs instead.

Nope. You've lost me.

There's penicillin in most blue cheese but I don't eat it because dairy.

How about Wild Boar, tonights delight, (well it's not that great anyway), probably full of pesticides and shot by the locals after being chased by screaming dogs....... washed down with a couple of glasses of the local red, again full of loads of stuff

why am I on a "slippery slope" as presumably there are varying opinions on such matters

How about Wild Boar, tonights delight, (well it's not that great anyway), probably full of pesticides and shot by the locals after being chased by screaming dogs....... washed down with a couple of glasses of the local red, again full of loads of stuff

Um. congratulations?

why am I on a "slippery slope" as presumably there are varying opinions on such matters

Because if we decide to eat all the non feeling animals then there will be a few humans ready for the barbie.

Because if we decide to eat all the non feeling animals then there will be a few humans ready for the barbie.
That would make for some interesting "cuts" as we allegedly taste like pork :D

Longpig!

Darwin's theory of natural selection as far as evolution has been interfered with by the human race and ended in the 1980's ........ it's all downhill now ... as PC and softie "civilisation" has taken over

decadent western society and we will all be eaten by the Chinese

what will we all look like and eat in 200 years time .... lettuce eating non-binaries, shagging ourselves and popping pills

Last edited:
Population ever growing ......... Soylent Green will be on the menu in not too many future generations. (y)

The baby boomers born straight after the war have caused this ........ infected with a mysterious war time chemical, (produced by nature from what was used in WW2), ............. they produced offspring that has mutated away from the theory of evolution, (it's quite well disguised, impossible for humans to see or identify), in turn they have produced the current generation that is reversing the evolution trend of nature ... only one way for it to end, lettuce leaves and pulses

Western world dominated with IVF designer babies which non-binaries will base on their favourite dogs, Cruffs will never be the same again

Chinese continue to eat dogs

Last edited:
The baby boomers born straight after the war have caused this ........ infected with a mysterious war time chemical, (produced by nature from what was used in WW2), ............. they produced offspring that has mutated away from the theory of evolution, (it's quite well disguised, impossible for humans to see or identify), in turn they have produced the current generation that is reversing the evolution trend of nature ... only one way for it to end, lettuce leaves and pulses

Western world dominated with IVF designer babies which non-binaries will base on their favourite dogs, Cruffs will never be the same again

You do spout some utter s***e at times. o_O

You totally get it Andy:pint:

Aye, and Wtf have you been eating?

Do you think fish have the same feelings as mammals? (towards death)

Can you say honestly that you know that they do not?

(we could be into a whole different kind of "racism" here, so let us call it)

speciesism

Maybe it's because I originated from South Yorkshire ....... lack of protein in my early diet
It must have been a very long time ago, we've had protein here since rationing finished.

It must have been a very long time ago, we've had protein here since rationing finished.

I remember Ration Books ......... (Andy please check my spelling)

I was 8 when they ended ........... early days are important in the development of a child

(In fact I think I may have my parents somewhere - a brown thing if I remember correctly)

Poor fish - I know Libourne quite well _ I had a Colonoscopy there about 2 and a half years ago ............ I check at the market, Friday or Sunday I believe, next time we are there

Really, are we really concerned about Chinese killing and eating dogs? I am more concerned with things at home, like kids being let down by Social Services and being killed by one or other or both of their parents, and there are so many other things we should be concerned about closer to home. Starving, freezing pensioners, soldiers not getting the support they should receive, need I go on. So the Chinese are killing/eating dogs, big deal.
Bleat about that and I will support your campaign, I am afraid I really couldn't give a rat's arse about some dogs in China.
Matt

Really, are we really concerned about Chinese killing and eating dogs? I am more concerned with things at home, like kids being let down by Social Services and being killed by one or other or both of their parents, and there are so many other things we should be concerned about closer to home. Starving, freezing pensioners, soldiers not getting the support they should receive, need I go on. So the Chinese are killing/eating dogs, big deal.
Bleat about that and I will support your campaign, I am afraid I really couldn't give a rat's arse about some dogs in China.
Matt
I'm sorry, but the 'things at home' comment is a bit ridiculous. Does it matter where in the world it is? Cruelty is Cruelty irrespective of location and it should be a concern to everyone.

Does it happen? Yes. Has it happened for tens, hundreds or thousands of years? Probably, yes. Does that mean we shouldn't care? Of course not.

All of the things you listed are worth being worried or concerned about btw, but having an exhaustive list based on what's happening local to you and sod everyone strikes me as a little sad and narrow minded. It's a big planet sure, but that doesn't mean you can't care about what happens anywhere in it.

Matt
Really?
The world would be a sad place if we all adopted your attitude to things.
I care about what happens close to home, but I can also give a rat's arse what happens elsewhere in the world.

Last edited:
Matt

I'm never sure what to believe from some who comment on this forum .......... we ........ I think most of us are concerned about what happens in the world today - at least concerned enough to discuss it and some to do a little more, at home or abroad .............maybe you say that you are not concerned about the rest of the world ...... but at least you are informed and can make a judgement

are the Chinese concerned ........most of them don't really know what is happening in their own country, never mind the rest of the world

"prevailing wind from Chernobyl did hit parts of the UK" - N Wales i think?

Last edited:
are the Chinese concerned ........most of them don't really know what is happening in their own country, never mind the rest of the world

Blimey, youve come out with some uninformed bilge on this thread to date but this takes the cake.

Are you actually aware just how big China is? Go look on a map now. Saying something like that as a derogatory comment regarding the Chinese is akin to slagging off the Italians for not being aware of the goings on in the valleys of Wales.

Being married to a chinese lady and having gone to the chinese mainland enough to have a better idea of things than you, having jumped on your pillar from a lead on a twitter feed or facebook share, i can only say the amount of sheer ignorance regarding the chinese has kept me entertained for a few days now but i just had to comment in that paragraph of utter silliness.

Blimey, youve come out with some uninformed bilge on this thread to date but this takes the cake.

Are you actually aware just how big China is? Go look on a map now. Saying something like that as a derogatory comment regarding the Chinese is akin to slagging off the Italians for not being aware of the goings on in the valleys of Wales.

Being married to a chinese lady and having gone to the chinese mainland enough to have a better idea of things than you, having jumped on your pillar from a lead on a twitter feed or facebook share, i can only say the amount of sheer ignorance regarding the chinese has kept me entertained for a few days now but i just had to comment in that paragraph of utter silliness.

I don't get your logic or understand the Facebook/twitter reference

and it is not insulting the Chinese at all, it is a fact - are you saying that the press and other media are as free to report as in say, Italy ..... or that there is no control by the Chinese Government

you will have to explain in simple terms - as you say it's a big country and it must be difficult to visit it all after even 6 or 7 visits, so maybe reported information is a better source

you will have to be specific of what is "uninformed bilge" for me to respond ........ I think that I have mentioned three areas

eating dogs
cruelty at the Festival
that (most) of the Chinese are not aware of what happens in their country, (as you point out it is a big place - but that is not why I say it)

Last edited:
Back