Yungnuo YN565EX

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I've been researching this speedlite for a few days and am getting conflicting reports.

Ages ago when I didn't know anything about speedlites I bought my 580EX2 and also two 430EX2's thinking I could do all my stuff with these. I didn't know about guide numbers etc back in those dark days. I deeply regret this - when I had the cash I wish I'd bought three 580EX2's!

Anyway, I've been considering the YN565 but one site I checked reckoned the GN of 58 was greatly over exaggerated and the actual power was more or less equal to a 430EX2. If this is the case then it isn't really worthwhile buying one as the whole idea is to get myself more power (unfortunately I don't have the readies for more 580's at the moment) than my pair of 430's offer. Then again other sites reckon the YN565 isn't far off the equivalent of a 580 for a third of the cost. I use the Canon optical wireless system a lot hence me considering the speedlite so there isn't another manufacturers offering to be considered that I know about. I can buy two or three of these YN565's at the moment and that would give me a total of five speedlites to play with, three of which are reasonably powerful.

Can anyone offer their experience and knowledge of this speedlite, in particular its power vs my existing 430's please?

How do you plan to use so many (5) speedlites?

I've got the YN-560 II in addition to my 430EX. Must admit, I haven't really compared the two in great detail yet, only had the Yongnuo for a week.

If you're not worried about portability and it's mostly studio work, why not get a studio flash instead, particularly if it's power you want?

Darren

I have mains powered heads - I'm after upping my strobist gear. You can never have too many speedlites!

One advantage would be HSS - I can shoot at much higher shutter speeds and overpower the sun BUT at a cost of flash power. You get around this by using more speedlites, or gang lighting. Another advantage of this is two speedlites at 1/4 power each recycle much faster than one speedlight at half power. Batteries last longer too. I can also be much more creative with five lights than I can with three.

I'm sort of talking myself into buying some of these but I'd still like to know if they are as powerful as claimed.

Cheers

Ste

i've been looking at these.
I think you'll never get the power you really want except from a proper canon unit
if you want remote and money wasn't a problem I'd look at Metz and a RF remote system
but I like the ST-E2 interface so I'll buy myself a YN flash next month and give it a whirl

I'm only considering speedlites that are compatible with canons optical wireless flash system, ie speedlites that can act as slaves to a 580EX2 and therefore be controlled from the camera flash menu. Hence me considering the YN565EX as its the only third party flash I know of that does this. I just want to know if anyone knows whether this speedlite is as powerful as claimed or whether its a bit of a wimp in reality. If they aren't that powerful I might save my money and go a different route at a later date.

Edit - the ST E2 is a bit rubbish. You are much better using a 580EX2 as the master. You will get more range and more reliable triggering. As I said in another thread you can either use the 580 on the camera and disable it (ie it just triggers the slaves) which is a waste of a nice speedlite (but much more reliable) or get that also off camera with either a long Ettl cable ( OCF Gear do a great cable, as recommended in the other thread. I promise I am not affiliated with them!) or Ettl triggers. Any of these options allows you to control your speedlites from the camera, which is fantastic.

Last edited:
The 565 doesn't do HSS.

My experience of the 560 was that it seems fairly similar to the 580 series. Oh and YN make an St-e2 as well which is MUCH better than the Canon original.

At £675 just for one head, plus £175 for a battery I may as well buy a Lencarta Safari system. I'm looking for a cheaper solution - the YN565 is around £100 each all in. Granted that system looks really good but its pricey, for that sort of money I could also buy into the new Canon speedlites. The other downside is I'd have to buy all new modifiers. I realise the Yungnuo speedlites are of much lower quality and they aren't going to be anywhere near as powerful. I just want to know if anyone has done any kind of comparison between a YN565 and a 580EX2 and what the outcome was.

Thanks though - not seen this system before.

Bennp2000 said:
The 565 doesn't do HSS.

My experience of the 560 was that it seems fairly similar to the 580 series. Oh and YN make an St-e2 as well which is MUCH better than the Canon original.

I know the YN doesn't do HSS, that isn't a problem for me, I still have three Canon EX's that do if I need that facility. The 560 is no good as it can't act as a wireless slave. Nor do I need a ST E2, I can put my master anywhere within 20' give or take and control my slaves. Even Yungnuo's version isn't as good as a 580 in master mode.

The 565 doesn't do HSS.

yeah I've read about that
they've looked at the canon ST-E2 and then improved the range and functionality....which is BS or very impressive

Thanks Chris - this is the review I've read already and the one that prompted me to ask people here of their own views. I read a lot of reviews before I buy anything like this, and one thing I have found is that there is no such thing as an unbiased review. In this particular instance they like the YN565EX but looking at their figures the GN was not very high in real life, compared to the Canon 580EX2 (despite what Yungnuo claim).

I've decided to hang on for now, I'm torn between buying two of these or to go for one Nissin (which is more powerful and has HSS but is also twice as expensive). So far I'm managing with what I have, it'd be nice to have a couple of more speedlites but I'm not in any rush.

Thanks again folks.

Ste Manns said:
I know the YN doesn't do HSS, that isn't a problem for me, I still have three Canon EX's that do if I need that facility. The 560 is no good as it can't act as a wireless slave. Nor do I need a ST E2, I can put my master anywhere within 20' give or take and control my slaves. Even Yungnuo's version isn't as good as a 580 in master mode.

The 560 doesn't have to act as a wireless slave cos it has the best optical slave I've ever seen.

The23rdman said:
The 560 doesn't have to act as a wireless slave cos it has the best optical slave I've ever seen.

Ah but it does mate, wanna control it from camera/tethered lappy so needs to be compatible with canon wireless system. Otherwise it'd be an easy choice

Ste Manns said:
Ah but it does mate, wanna control it from camera/tethered lappy so needs to be compatible with canon wireless system. Otherwise it'd be an easy choice

Why though? It seems like a really expensive and needless way of doing things. Using a 580 ex as a trigger just seems incredibly wasteful unless you have Joe Mcnally's budget. Just use the 560 as the speedlight closest to you if you don't wanna walk.

The23rdman said:
Why though? It seems like a really expensive and needless way of doing things. Using a 580 ex as a trigger just seems incredibly wasteful unless you have Joe Mcnally's budget. Just use the 560 as the speedlight closest to you if you don't wanna walk.

There's loads of reasons besides that of lazyness (although to be fair that is a good one...)
I'm using my 580 as a master and also as a key now, off camera and controlling everything without having to walk up and down all over the place. And its a lot more reliable than using crappy cheapo radio triggers. And its quicker. And I can switch to ettl with just a click. Eos utility is also a lot more functional than it used to be, in regards to flash control

Ste Manns said:
There's loads of reasons besides that of lazyness (although to be fair that is a good one...)
I'm using my 580 as a master and also as a key now, off camera and controlling everything without having to walk up and down all over the place. And its a lot more reliable than using crappy cheapo radio triggers. And its quicker. And I can switch to ettl with just a click. Eos utility is also a lot more functional than it used to be, in regards to flash control

I don't think I've ever had a misfire with RF602's.

No, I'm referring to my crappy cheapo radio triggers. Hate 'em, as you know. Since I started using the canon wireless system together with a long ettl cable though I've not had any problems, even outside in sunlight. I've started using ganglighting quite a bit too

Ste Manns said:
No, I'm referring to my crappy cheapo radio triggers. Hate 'em, as you know. Since I started using the canon wireless system together with a long ettl cable though I've not had any problems, even outside in sunlight. I've started using ganglighting quite a bit too

I think the point I was making is you're limiting yourself by going that route when rf603's would probably be the better and cheaper option. Use your canon flashes for HSS and decent radio triggers with yn560s for strobist work with no distance worries.

Also consider that I've had three flashes go for a Nelson on location jobs. Less of a worry at sixty quid!

I think you're missing the point mate. With radio triggers I'm limited to manual only. With the canon wireless system I can do manual, ettl and hss. I've not had any range issues or miss fires. I don't need 300 mtrs range to do what I do so why worry about that? I can put my master where I want to. All I'm short of is a couple more speedlites for a bit more power, hence this post. If I can get a third party speedlite that's got reasonable power that also works as a slave then that's great, but if the only option is to get more canon speedlites which are 4 times the price then it becomes less viable. I can get by with what I have for now but it'd be nice to have more power. That Qflash system looked fantastic except for the cost!

Nope, not missing the point at all. Just personally think it's an expensive way of doing things. HSS is great for overpowering sun, but uber limiting even with many flashes. I'd be much more inclined to save up for a Safari as you mentioned earlier.

As for the original question re the new YN flash, just ask Trevor from Cotswold on eBay. I'd buy from him above all others anyway.

Fair enough, buddy. My main objection was really using a 580ex as a trigger on camera, but if you're using it off camera as a trigger then awesome.

I've tried ettl with multiples with Steve's st unit and found it easy but a touch unreliable at exposing.

I can have my 580 upto 30' away from the camera (though in practice we're talking 20') and acting as master.

To be honest ettl is only used for moving targets, where flash to subject distance is moving. For all other situations I have the flashes on manual power settings but I can still control them with the camera or eos utility without walking up and down all over the place. Its really easy and quick

Cool, as long as it works all is good. :)

I've just started looking at the YN range of flash guns for the first time today. What's the difference between the 560 and 565 (other than about £50 a pop)?

ryanyboy said:
I've just started looking at the YN range of flash guns for the first time today. What's the difference between the 560 and 565 (other than about £50 a pop)?

The 560 can't act as a slave to a canon 580ex, the 565 can. (The 560 has a built in optical trigger but won't integrate with canons wireless system)

Ryan, if you're manual guy the 560's are amazing value. I have a couple and they're very well built, reliable with excellent optical slaves and powerful. At the price they're no sting on the wallet when you kill one either.

Also I'm not sure if the 565 has been released for Nikon yet.

So it has. They are brand specific, Ste, cos the ettl pins are on different locations on the hotshoe.

Brand specific for the master but you can use a Nikon to trigger a Cannon even in Ettl from what I have read .

quick update
bought a YN565ex
around £105., arrived within 2-3 days.
looks good so far.
build quality is not as good as the canon 580ii but for a 1/3 of the price....
flashes quickly, can keep up with the 580 for a bit
double flash for etc in rapid fire mode on my 40D
remotes from the 580exII no problem
but I bought it to remote from the ST-E2
it doesn't work when triggered as a test, but DOES work when you actually take a picture with the ST-E2 mounted.

tested it in the garden and hasn't missed a beat at a range of about 14-15 metres through the house and into the garden.

so very pleased with the purchase vs price. will order another for an event in september

Did you get it from Ebay ?

yup
this bloke
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Lighting-...ref=1&_ssn=camera-foto&_trksid=p3911.c0.m1538

I paid by e-cheque so that took a week to clear...my card had expired and I didn't notice.
however, cleared on the 12 and the flash arrived royal mail (not signed for or RMSD) on the 14th (saturday)

this bloke seems to be located in portsmouth and the shipping reflected that
he wasn't the cheapest by only a couple of quid. but UK based won it over for me

Back