Z4 on Exmoor

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week I was in Devon with a few friends, we took at road trip to Porlock on the A39 (well worth a drive) and I took the opportunity to try some moorland driving shots, like the ones I've seen in car magazines.

As I was holding up the whole group, I was only able to get Ali to do a few passes and the roof stayed up (something to do with girlfriend's hair :wacky: ), of the shots I got I was most pleased by these two, but I can't decide if it is better with the sky or not? I prefer the processing on the skyless shot, but what does everyone else think?

Last edited:
I have to agree with you. I prefer the wider perspective of the 1st shot, but the processing of the 2nd.
Nice motor too :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll re-edit the first shot and see how that looks.

Thanks Phil.

Personally they don't do much for me as they look a bit lacklustre. Perhaps a bit of vibrancy might liven them up a bit? I think car shots look better when taken from the floor looking up too.
I prefer the one without the sky as the day looks quite grey and overcast. If there was some definition to the sky with clouds then I would try and incorporate that in then.

Gareth

Personally they don't do much for me as they look a bit lacklustre. Perhaps a bit of vibrancy might liven them up a bit? I think car shots look better when taken from the floor looking up too.
I prefer the one without the sky as the day looks quite grey and overcast. If there was some definition to the sky with clouds then I would try and incorporate that in then.

Gareth

Thanks, I'll see what I can do when I put them through Lightroom again.

I agree with the lower viewpoint, but as the verges were quite high my only other option would have been crouching on the road, which I wasn't comfortable with. The grey sky was the main reason I posted the skyless shot.

No1 for me, shame you didn't get better weather the views up there are stunning, hope you didn't get caught out by porlock hill

Porlock Hill was interesting in a fully loaded Fiat 500, I'll certainly be going back in something more fun to drive, hopefully the weather will be better then too!

First shot for me to,but would agree with some of the other comments about it needing a bit more vibrancy.
Would have liked to see a shot with the roof down also. Being a Z4 owner as well,the roof is always down when it ain't raining.....the wife has no say in the matter!

JakeT1992 said:
The first is a favourite for me! Looks like an awesome bit of road!

Thanks. It IS an awesome bit of road, all the way from Barnstaple to Minehead.

Jazzmonkey said:
First shot for me to,but would agree with some of the other comments about it needing a bit more vibrancy.
Would have liked to see a shot with the roof down also. Being a Z4 owner as well,the roof is always down when it ain't raining.....the wife has no say in the matter!

Thanks. I'm 100% with you on the roof down thing, sports cars are meant to be driven with the roof down!

I've finally had a chance to revisit the first image, that most people seemed to prefer. I've gone down the route of toning down the back ground, to keep the viewer focussed on the car.

Has anyone got any specific suggestions for the processing, I did try boosting the vibrancy, but it didn't seem right to me, maybe because everything did look washed out when I was up there.

Not a processing suggestion, but if you go back to that same location, you could try shooting the car just as it hits the crest. It might have a similar effect to shooting from lower down.

Good shout, thanks!

Any other comments on the latest version of the photo?

Yes, that's a good point, I didn't really have a chance to use it this time, but it's certainly something to bear in mind next time.

Back