Zabriskie Point, Death Valley

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I almost feel in a panic about posting this as I've never had a picture reviewed by people who know what they are talking about before, apart from my local photgraphy club :LOL:

However it's an important to know what I can do to improve

This was taken about 10 in the morning in Death Valley with a view to capturing all the different shades and colours without making it look too confused.

DeathVallyZabriskiepoint3.jpg

I don't know what im talking about, I like it looks kinda washed out and surreal which is why I think it's cool.

Great pic, but maybe crop the bottom bit off, think its a bit busy with that in and dont know what to look at. Colours are great as well.

While it does lacks a focal point it is still a very well taken shot which captures the vast empty expanse of the valley so well. The colours and contrast is great too. It's a little washed out in places but suspect that's due to taking it as 10am with the sun very strong - i'd love to have seen the colours in early morning light.

Thanks

That's interesting. Its difficult to get something to focus the eye on in a place like that which was my problem, and as Defiance said, the light was a little bit of a problem as it was so strong. I wanted something in the foreground, but alas I was confronted with nothing but smooth rock :)

I will have a crop though as suggested to see what difference it makes

Thanks

That's interesting. Its difficult to get something to focus the eye on in a place like that which was my problem, and as Defiance said, the light was a little bit of a problem as it was so strong. I wanted something in the foreground, but alas I was confronted with nothing but smooth rock :)

I will have a crop though as suggested to see what difference it makes

Think the best bet is to get rid of the rocks in the foreground and maybe use the mountains in the background as the focal point :shrug:

OK, is this better or have I gone too far :)

It has actually made me realise that although I have always liked composing on camera, a lot can be gained from cropping afterwards :)

DeathVallyZabriskiepointcrop.jpg

The crop is much better imo - I was going to say the same about the foreground of the original as others said.

You have some dust on your sensor - there's a dark spot visible in the crop on the top right corner.

The crop is much better imo - I was going to say the same about the foreground of the original as others said.

You have some dust on your sensor - there's a dark spot visible in the crop on the top right corner.

Thanks, I liked it more as soon as I did it.

I have an ongoing problem with the 10D with dust. I cleaned it perfectly, but I swap the lens once and it's back again. I had a couple of spots on that shot which I got rid of, and I'm now embarrassed I missed one :LOL:

It's a great shot, and I think the crop looks a lot better but not sure why you've cropped the right off as well? Would look better if you kept the full width in my opinion.

I'm confused by the title :thinking:!? Is Zabriskie Point the name of the rocky outcrop that you were standing on (i.e. the foreground in the original pic), or is it the name of the pointed ridge in the mid-ground :shrug:?

Either way, I think that the crop detracts from the sense of place, as it's just a view of a distant landscape taken from who knows where :shrug:.

I much preferred the image with some of the foreground left in, for reference, but agree that a little crop from the bottom (without reducing the width) would be just the ticket :). As you've ticked "Image Editing" in your profile, I can show you what I mean ....

DeathVallyZabriskiepoint4.jpg

Everything else; the focus, the exposure, the colours etc. are fantastic (IMHO) and I really don't see how you could have controlled those any better, given the conditions on the day.

Just my $0.02 ;)

Thanks Naboo & all it's much appreciated

The picture is taken from Zabriskie point, its just the general area

Yes I think I agree, I went a bit to far with the crop and yours is probably a better take on it

Thanks Naboo & all it's much appreciated

The picture is taken from Zabriskie point, its just the general area

Yes I think I agree, I went a bit to far with the crop and yours is probably a better take on it

Ah, thanks for the info, I just wondered if "the point" referred to one specific point - obviously not ;).

I've just noticed something about my edit of your pic - the horizon runs pretty much through the middle now. That's going to upset the purists :shake:.

Ah, thanks for the info, I just wondered if "the point" referred to one specific point - obviously not ;).

I've just noticed something about my edit of your pic - the horizon runs pretty much through the middle now. That's going to upset the purists :shake:.

It did cross my mind :LOL:. However, although I do try to stick to those rules, in taking landscape as I do, I dont shy away from breaking the rules if needs be.

Why not crop the sky a little? It doesn't add a lot to the image.

Its a thought ....... I'm going to end up with a very thin shot aren't I :LOL:

In my opinion it was a good shot to begin with and Naboo's edit is the one I would go with as I think it improves the image.
I like the colours and different tones running through the picture and although I've never been to the area it does give me a feel of what its like. In fact I've had to take me shirt off because I feel to hot now.

Andy

Love the Avatar:

Jetzt stehst du da an der Laterne
mit Tränen im Gesicht
das Tageslicht fällt auf die Seite
der Herbstwind fegt die Straße leer
;);)

In my opinion it was a good shot to begin with and Naboo's edit is the one I would go with as I think it improves the image.
I like the colours and different tones running through the picture and although I've never been to the area it does give me a feel of what its like. In fact I've had to take me shirt off because I feel to hot now.

Andy

I dont think one of my pictures ever made anyone hot before :LOL:

Love the Avatar:

Jetzt stehst du da an der Laterne
mit Tränen im Gesicht
das Tageslicht fällt auf die Seite
der Herbstwind fegt die Straße leer
;);)

Well spotted :)

Terrible picture, but I was there, and thats what matters :LOL:
Wuulderhide, Berlin
(Sorry for going off topic)

IMG_0057.jpg

Don't worry about going off topic, it's your thread.

Saw them at Wembely Arena back in February. Brilliant;) Liked their support, Combichrist as well and have since bought a load of their stuff.

Don't worry about going off topic, it's your thread.

Saw them at Wembely Arena back in February. Brilliant;) Liked their support, Combichrist as well and have since bought a load of their stuff.

I can trump that :LOL:
Badalona (Barcelona) Nov last year and NEC Birmingham Feb plus at BBK Live Bilbao this summer!

Andy

The cheque's in the post, Andy ;).

Back