Zack

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Called down to visit our Nephew over the weekend they have had a new arrival. I did take my camera along as I think it was expected I would take a few snaps. Also took my folding small softbox for the speedlight as it was evening a dark room, mad wallpaper, small and tones of there other childs toys about. So I thought I maybe just throw some light on the Zack and hope the fall off would help.
Anyhow I took these. To be honest I am totally lost on angles to shoot from and how people should hold the little uns for the best look. Neither parent are keen to be on camera not that I mithered them I know this maybe in time that may change.
Would be good if anyone as some simple pointers/guides on this.
Any feedback of any kind would be much appreciated.

Gaz

MOntage.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

Last edited:

Quite ok to me, Gary.
A very expressive little face and…
yes, I know… the colour of his eyes is still a secret.

I think you've done well, considering the limitations etc. I'd be happy with them.

I agree with Robert.

It would be easy enough to clone out the supporting hands in #1 (if you wanted to, that is) and that's a great set of expressions from such a young baby, so well done capturing these. I might be tempted to zap the dried milk (?) around baby's mouth visible on the first of the three shots. If this were my baby, that would printed and on the wall.

The second one is well lit to focus all the attention on baby and none on the parent, and number three looks great (good DOF, and I like the way the light falls off.) This one works with the supporting hands in IMO, they add to the shot.

Unless you want to get into having someone holding baby's head to support it and compositing two shots together, I don't think you could expect to get shots that are much better really, Gaz - stop underestimating what you do!

Quite ok to me, Gary.
A very expressive little face and…
yes, I know… the colour of his eyes is still a secret.
Eyes never made an apearance !!!
I think you've done well, considering the limitations etc. I'd be happy with them.
Thanks Robert.
I agree with Robert.

It would be easy enough to clone out the supporting hands in #1 (if you wanted to, that is) and that's a great set of expressions from such a young baby, so well done capturing these. I might be tempted to zap the dried milk (?) around baby's mouth visible on the first of the three shots. If this were my baby, that would printed and on the wall.

The second one is well lit to focus all the attention on baby and none on the parent, and number three looks great (good DOF, and I like the way the light falls off.) This one works with the supporting hands in IMO, they add to the shot.

Unless you want to get into having someone holding baby's head to support it and compositing two shots together, I don't think you could expect to get shots that are much better really, Gaz - stop underestimating what you do!
Hi Ian. Thanks for the kind words and great feedback. Yes I have seen those composite shots they look very clever. Re : underestimating myself. Yes your not the first to say this. As I posted this I tried not to put into words how I feel as it is a drain on me never mind on you poor folk. If you catch me doing it again. Get me banned !!

Gaz

The 4th and the 5th one are great. I like the pose, sleeping on Daddy (?). in the fourth and the way the light falls off the face in the 5th one. In the 5th one I think the Dad could maybe have hidden his hands underneath the baby's body and head and still supported the baby enough, making cloning the hands out easier if any poked out. But having a little one now myself I know that being sure baby is secure trumps nice photos every time :)

Good shots though!

The 4th and the 5th one are great. I like the pose, sleeping on Daddy (?). in the fourth and the way the light falls off the face in the 5th one. In the 5th one I think the Dad could maybe have hidden his hands underneath the baby's body and head and still supported the baby enough, making cloning the hands out easier if any poked out. But having a little one now myself I know that being sure baby is secure trumps nice photos every time :)

Good shots though!
Thanks Michael. Much apreciated :)

Gaz

Back