Zebra jumpers with more shots added

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from around the house of Zebra Jumping spiders Salticus Scenicus

This little guy was eating a barkly but I missed the hunt and capture as I went inside taken with the Sigma and three extension tubes. It is female I think but a juvenile

Barkfly for dinner by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Barkfly for dinner 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Barkfly for dinner 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This a larger specimen I observed a few minutes earlier. It lined up against a harvestman and jumped at it I saw the jump but the next frame had neither of them in it I found the spider again a few cm away but did not find the harvetsman

Prowling by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Stalking prey by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This little one from a last week with a springtail

Springtail for dinner by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wow, feeling I know the little blighter now.

How come he didn't jump away? Obviously enjoying his meal!!!

Very interesting shots and well performed.

Mj

That's a fascinating set Alf. Very interested in the spider/harvestman interaction. Harvestmen always seem so ungainly to me, as if they would have difficulty getting away from something fast like a spider. Perhaps they have some other defence other than speed (and shedding legs)?

Also very interested in the last image. I hadn't realised those spiders were so small. They seem to be quite common from all the images I see of them, but I'm not aware of ever having seen one, and I'm certain I've never photographed one. Perhaps with their being so small I simply haven't noticed them.

Great set of images Alf, with some fine detail. #1 would also have to be my fav.(y)

George.

Excellent set. #1 is my favourite but think it would be slightly better if there was more space to the left of the spider

I saw my first zebra jumper the other day but I've not been able to find it again they fascinate me but they don't seem so common down in wet cold North Devon but I will keep searching..... Thanks for sharing

Thanks all for the comments I am glad you like them.

That's a fascinating set Alf. Very interested in the spider/harvestman interaction. Harvestmen always seem so ungainly to me, as if they would have difficulty getting away from something fast like a spider. Perhaps they have some other defence other than speed (and shedding legs)?

Also very interested in the last image. I hadn't realised those spiders were so small. They seem to be quite common from all the images I see of them, but I'm not aware of ever having seen one, and I'm certain I've never photographed one. Perhaps with their being so small I simply haven't noticed them.

Nick I think the harvestman just dropped off the wall.
They are quite common in sunny places like south facing walls, fences or rock faces they grow up to about 8mm long but you only really see them when it is sunny.

I saw my first zebra jumper the other day but I've not been able to find it again they fascinate me but they don't seem so common down in wet cold North Devon but I will keep searching..... Thanks for sharing

I doubt devon is cooler than Cumbria and over 500 ft up a hill too keep looking mate.

I doubt devon is cooler than Cumbria and over 500 ft up a hill too keep looking mate.

No but a distinct lack of sunshine doesn't help I'll keep looking as I was very excited to see my first one the other day

Super set of shots Alf, tricky little devils to get to stop moving about to get a shot off. Well done.

Super set of shots Alf, tricky little devils to get to stop moving about to get a shot off. Well done.
Yeah AJ they do move around quickly but when they are eating they dont want to move.

Last edited:
Nom nom nom! Yummy! To become like "Honey I shrunk the kids" and to stare into those eyes is to stare at death... very efficient killers!

Nom nom nom! Yummy! To become like "Honey I shrunk the kids" and to stare into those eyes is to stare at death... very efficient killers!

the meal ... Amazing shot
(sorry for the lack of critique)
Just in awe.....

Thanks Kevin and Meeten.

Here are some more of the one eating the yellow dung fly

A big meal 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

A big meal 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a different one on the house wall it was small but had a good size meal

Jumper eating by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wow outstanding work. Love all these shots and am still on the lookout for one myself. Any tips on finding them?

Wow, feeling I know the little blighter now.

How come he didn't jump away? Obviously enjoying his meal!!!

Very interesting shots and well performed.

Mj
They don't seem to scare easily and if you can persuade one on to your finger -- the warmth attracts them I think -- it is possible to get them to jump onto a finger of your other hand. Caveat, it's a long time since I did this and it was in Kent so Cumbrian and Devonian zebras may behave differently.

Great stuff Alf.

Thanks Nick

Wow outstanding work. Love all these shots and am still on the lookout for one myself. Any tips on finding them?

Thanks Simon to find them look at sunny walls fences or rock faces sometimes they seem to be about the size of an ant like the juvenile I saw today at work.

They don't seem to scare easily and if you can persuade one on to your finger -- the warmth attracts them I think -- it is possible to get them to jump onto a finger of your other hand. Caveat, it's a long time since I did this and it was in Kent so Cumbrian and Devonian zebras may behave differently.

I have never tried to get one on my finger

Excellent shots Alf(y)

Thankyou Icy

Back