Zebra jumping spider on my window-ledge

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is the first picture I've posted, so hopefully I'm not breaking any etiquette or anything. :)

It's a Zebra Jumping Spider that was on one of the uPVC window-ledges at the back of my house last week, which has given the shot a nice high-key look. Taken with a Nikon D3200 and Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM macro lens @ ƒ/22, 1/80 sec, ISO 100. Lit by the sun and my speedlight.

Cheers.

90/366 2016 - I see you!
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Welcome and great shot. Love the hair on its head lol, got more than me lol, nope - thats a cracking photo, I might clone out some of the "bits", i.e. the black on on the left and orange/red one down the bottom and the little one on the right (about 4'o'clock) - just to tidy it up a little bit is all.

I look forward to seeing more! :)

Hi fishy and welcome to this mad corner of TP.
Thats a nice shot, maybe a tad out of focus where it counts but thats ok, we all got to start somewhere and this place will get you on the right track with some very helpful and experienced people :D
I think f22 was a bit high in numbers, maybe you should try more f11-f14 and take your ISO up to 200 and shutter speed faster too, reason I say this is, I live in the South of France and its very bright here most of the time (brighter than the UK)
I have the same camera, I use ISO 200 shutter speed from 160 upto 250 max and I still use a flash unit (not onboard)
Look forward to seeing more of your Macro on here.
Besides Fishyfish, Do you have a name?

Hi fishy and welcome to this mad corner of TP.
Thats a nice shot, maybe a tad out of focus where it counts but thats ok, we all got to start somewhere and this place will get you on the right track with some very helpful and experienced people :D
I think f22 was a bit high in numbers, maybe you should try more f11-f14 and take your ISO up to 200 and shutter speed faster too, reason I say this is, I live in the South of France and its very bright here most of the time (brighter than the UK)
I have the same camera, I use ISO 200 shutter speed from 160 upto 250 max and I still use a flash unit (not onboard)
Look forward to seeing more of your Macro on here.
Besides Fishyfish, Do you have a name?

Thanks for the advice Graham. I was using f/22 as it was tiny and moving about a lot and my shots at wider apertures were not getting the eyes in focus, so the narrower aperture gave me a fighting chance to get a tiny bit more DOF. Do you get 1/250 sec shutter speed with flash BTW? I thought the D3200 had a max sync of 1/200th. I'll be quite pleased if I can get it a bit faster.

My name's Nigel (or Nige for short). :)

Thanks for the advice Graham. I was using f/22 as it was tiny and moving about a lot and my shots at wider apertures were not getting the eyes in focus, so the narrower aperture gave me a fighting chance to get a tiny bit more DOF. Do you get 1/250 sec shutter speed with flash BTW? I thought the D3200 had a max sync of 1/200th. I'll be quite pleased if I can get it a bit faster.

My name's Nigel (or Nige for short). :)

AH good we`re getting somewhere, Hi Nigel.
Ok 1st of all yes its possible to use 1/250th but not in TTL mode, with TTL the max on this camera is 1/200 I believe, On other cameras, more like the D610/D800 at a guess its possible to go up in speed more with TTL, The max speed is 1/320.
So at a guess your using TTL ? Take it out of TTL and use Manual "M" on the dial and give it a whirle
I never really go above f14 if I can help it and I still get good coverage. I would say use f11-14 and increase your ISO to 200 and sync speed to 1/160-1/200, the flash should help you cover the insect or whatever with DOF.
Hope that helps.
Heres hoping I dont get shot down by more experienced people in what I have written :whistle:

Last edited:
That's a great shot Nigel, and the high-key works well.(y)

"Just as a small suggestion, it probably would look even better if some of that debree etc were to be cloned out".

George.

Ok 1st of all yes its possible to use 1/250th but not in TTL mode, with TTL the max on this camera is 1/200 I believe, On other cameras, more like the D610/D800 at a guess its possible to go up in speed more with TTL, The max speed is 1/320.
So at a guess your using TTL ? Take it out of TTL and use Manual "M" on the dial and give it a whirle
I never really go above f14 if I can help it and I still get good coverage. I would say use f11-14 and increase your ISO to 200 and sync speed to 1/160-1/200, the flash should help you cover the insect or whatever with DOF.
Hope that helps.
Heres hoping I dont get shot down by more experienced people in what I have written :whistle:

Thanks Graham, I'll give that a whirl.

I've just tried this, but as with my previous findings, the camera won't go beyond 1/200 sec when using TTL or manual flash (either the pop-up or my speedlight). As soon as the flash is activated the shutter speed is limited. If it's set faster than 1/200 sec before the flash is activated it automatically drops the shutter speed back.

Heres my 2 test shots with my YONGNOU YN560 III The 1st shot is at 1/250 and the 2nd is1/320 in M mode, you can see the shutter curtain is in view in shot 2 so dont know whats going wrong your end, can you take the flash out of TTL?
Sorry to fill your thread with my crap shots, ill remove if you wish.

Flash test f250.JPG Flash test f320.JPG

I've gone into the camera settings and switched to manual flash mode. I've also switched the speedlight to manual (Yongnuo YN568EX). The camera is set to manual but altering the shutter speed with the rear dial is limited to a max of 1/200 sec. What am I missing? Can you share your menu settings for the camera and flash please?

Thanks.
As above really, on the back of the flash I have that on "M" and on the camera the Dial is set to "M" as always for me with the rest set at 1/250 f11. nothing different, cant see whats different with yours.
I guess your flash unit is much the same as mine, maybe others can help.

Back