Zebra Showdown

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
I've not posted much stuff recently. I was in Kenya for 2 weeks in September and then work has been hell (including a week out of the country) so I haven't had time to develop new stuff.

I've now starting working through my Kenya shots, so hopefully this is the first of a few. This was taken at Lewa Downs in northern Kenya and is of the rare Grevy's zebra. I think it is a Marmite picture. People either seem to love it or hate it. I wanted to highlight the far narrow stripe pattern and thought the out of focus back end was a worthwhile thing to try.

ISO_100_NR7V2491.JPG

I'll be interested to know what people think!

Paul

Well I like it. the back focus really draws your eyes through the pic. I can feel the tension which is I hope what you were trying to portray.

Stick me down as a 'love it' Paul, The OOF Zebra leads well into the in focus one.(y)

I agree with the above. The OOF Zebra leads your eye in nicely (y) Great shot.

I like it too. I'm glad that the the 'butt' is not in focus tbh, less attractive than the face of the other!

Thanks All.

Slapo - I actually have it cropped to an 11x8.5 aspect ratio in my photo book but didn't put that one up. I agree that it probably works a bit better.

I've been having a play in converting to B&W to see how that works too

Paul

I've been having a play in converting to B&W to see how that works too

Paul

You are surrounded! Step away from that computer and leave the colour where we can see it Mr Grumpybadger! (It's very nice as it is.) ;) :D

Let me be polite (for a change) and explain. I have thing about animal shots being converted to mono. It seems a shame to do it when we celebrate their existance through our photography. Or am I talking philosophical art-b*****x? :puke: :LOL:

I do hope you had a great time there. :) It will be a while till I get back there as poor old Toto_Returns has had a very serious operation and will not be fit for another 4 months at least. So a big burst of jealousy your way. ;) :D

OK, point noted. I tried it and didn't like it! I'm looking for stuff for a B&W competition at my local camera club and I only have animal shots to work with really!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a great time. My first time towards the north of Kenya and well worth a further visit. Fancy Samburu at some point (I think you are an expert?). There are more pictures to follow and I'm also working through my stuff from the following week on the Masai Mara.

Sorry to hear that Toto has been unwell. I hope you are able to get back as soon as is possible and sensible. I've just booked another week at the end of January in the northern Mara but am thinking about a cold trip for the second expedition of 2008...

:D
I tried it and didn't like it! I'm looking for stuff for a B&W competition at my local camera club and I only have animal shots to work with really!

Say no more, say no more. ;) Totally understand. :LOL:

Thanks for the feedback. I had a great time. My first time towards the north of Kenya and well worth a further visit. Fancy Samburu at some point (I think you are an expert?). There are more pictures to follow and I'm also working through my stuff from the following week on the Masai Mara.

If you call 3 visits in 18 months expert then yes. ;) But if you have any questions just PM me and I'll try and answer, or I'll query our guide up there.

Sorry to hear that Toto has been unwell. I hope you are able to get back as soon as is possible and sensible. I've just booked another week at the end of January in the northern Mara but am thinking about a cold trip for the second expedition of 2008...

I will do my best. Without her, how can I finance these trips? I shouldn't be expected to work? :shrug: :D

Cold??? Like the Arctic and Antarctic zones? :thinking:

What a fantastic shot, one of the best I've seen in the Animals & Nature section. :clap:

Cold??? Like the Arctic and Antarctic zones? :thinking:

Yep. Toying with the idea of Hudson Bay next October/November for the polar bears. Not sure really. 2 week of cold or two weeks in Africa. It's a tough call. I've now spent more than 6 months of my life in sub-Saharan Africa and keep thinking I ought to broaden my horizons. But then there's Samburu, Ruaha, Selous, Kafue, Luangwa, Hwange still all hanging over me as places I've yet to try - let alone all the places I want to go back to! Still, it's a nice dilemma to have...

What a fantastic shot, one of the best I've seen in the Animals & Nature section. :clap:

Thanks very much. Does the fact they are horses help?

Thanks guys.

I remember your rhino shot Mike. I have an ongoing mission to prove that the backs of animals can be as interesting as the front - as with my wild dog picture from Knowsley last year.

Paul

Back