Zeiss announces ZX1 full-frame compact camera

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Good day everyone,
I would like your views if at all possible on this camera that is supposed to be launched this year.
I nearly bought a Leica Q but I came across this camera whilst looking into photographic equipment that I could use and to be honest I really like it and I should be able to use it providing I can have it fitted with a shutter release lead or have it done automatically.
I think it'll be in the same price range as the Leica but I'm hoping it'll be a little bit less.

I assume that the lack of buttons and dials means that things will need to be changed using a touch screen, that's probably ok for the smartphone generation but it's not for me. Also I worry about expensive cameras with fixed lenses as in my mind it's only a matter of time before a dust bunny gets in and once that happens I can't clean it and the camera will have to go away... I know this camera will be less likely and maybe much less likely to get dust bunnies but in my mind it's a possible issue.

All in all although I sort of like the idea of cameras like this (this and the Leica and the Sony RX1) in reality I'm probably much better off with my A7 and 35mm f2.8. If it gets a dust bunny I can clean it and if I want to change the lens I can.

I don't mind a touchscreen for most menu settings (navigating with arrow keys or a joystick isn't much fun either), but is exposure compensation controlled from the screen? I can see shutter speed, aperture and ISO dials (all good), but quick dial adjustment of exposure comp with EVF feedback is one of the things I like about my Fuji.

Fixed 35 mm lens? No even a zoom? I would have thought that it had very limited use other than as expensive jewellery.

Fixed lens cameras are great!

I love the leica Q, I can rave about that of you really wanted and I'll be getting the leica Q2, being announced March 6th.

The size of the Zeiss is larger than what I'd consider for the type of fixed lens camera I want for my street and travel. I also want my larger screen and full editing suite for processing, I don't think I would take advantage of the built in lightroom as that's not how I work.

The Fuji X100 series cameras don't feel limited to me, and have the equivalent of 35mm lenses (I don't use the converters), but their small size is one of their attractions. For a fixed lens camera I'd prefer a fast lens like this to a zoom, but the Zeiss looks about the same size as some of its interchangeable lens competitors, where you could always choose to fit a prime (even a Zeiss prime for Sony or Fuji).

The Fuji X100 series cameras don't feel limited to me, and have the equivalent of 35mm lenses (I don't use the converters), but their small size is one of their attractions. For a fixed lens camera I'd prefer a fast lens like this to a zoom, but the Zeiss looks about the same size as some of its interchangeable lens competitors, where you could always choose to fit a prime (even a Zeiss prime for Sony or Fuji).

It seems to be rather large... here it is with the Sony A7, RX1 and Leica Q...

https://camerasize.com/compact/#487.615,806,638,625,ha,f

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
That is ridonkulous! The grip also looks really uncomfortable

I had a Fuji X100s for a while, and other fixed lens cams like the X10, RX100 etc ... I thought I wanted them much more than I actually did, and sold them all on after a short time because they felt too restrictive. Even a very short fast zoom would be so much better, like a 23-50 or 12-35 whatever.

I think of my photography as 'general purpose' - no wildlife or sports - and I often go out for the day with a single fixed focal length lens. But I select that lens from a range that I have. Which makes it different from having just one camera with a fixed focal length for every excursion.

I'm not advocating having every focal length under the sun, but if I had say a leica Q or a Fuji X100, I don't think I'd want it to be my only camera.

It would rather be a camera for the occasions that I chose to use it. That doesn't mean that it's not a usable discipline. Nothing does everything, after all. But a certain versatility is lacking. So the choice is personal. But as for make and model - well, I wouldn't agonise about that, I'd get on rather with engaging in photography.

Last edited:
Fixed lens cameras are great!

I love the leica Q, I can rave about that of you really wanted and I'll be getting the leica Q2, being announced March 6th.

The size of the Zeiss is larger than what I'd consider for the type of fixed lens camera I want for my street and travel. I also want my larger screen and full editing suite for processing, I don't think I would take advantage of the built in lightroom as that's not how I work.

Similarly I'm a huge fan of the Sony RX1R even though I didn't think it was my type of camera, I get a huge amount of use out of it.

I agree the ZX1 is too large but also I'm not keen on having a large amount of onboard memory with no expansion slot and having onboard editing is of no benefit, there's no way I'd want to be trying to use Lightroom on a tiny screen like that.

I can see the appeal but obviously a bit different and something of an unknown quantity. I'd want to read some decent reviews and see how/if it actually works first.

Hi, this is a first for me. Normally, I write only about equipment I own.

I am a little biased, having used ZEISS lenses for decades, owning quite a few (for Leica, Nikon, SONY). Always satisfied! -

My concerns re ZX1, why it is not on my shopping list.

- No IS

- No tilt-screen

- Size

- Styling. (I am somewhat unsure here. Not my style, but it should offer tangible benefits.)

- Fixed lens.

I have nothing against fixed-lens cameras, if they offer other benefits, such as size. (Over the years, I owned and used several ROLLEI 35.)

When I go out shooting, I always mount one lens adequate for the occasion, maybe have another one in the pocket.

So you can have the single-lens-experience, without having a fixed lens, costing flexibility. Your subject preferences might change over the years...

You liked the Leica Q, a good camera. The other day I had a long conversation in Wetzlar with a happy Q owner, who had other Leicas, too.

One could achieve functional equivalence to the Q (and the ZX1) with a SONY A7R2 and the SONY FE 2/28 for less money, even the A7R3 might fit the bill.

And there is a lot of other excellent ZEISS lenses from the Batis and Loxia range.

But, most of all, I would make sure that a certain focal lens covers all one's needs. I would use a 28 or 35mm exclusively for weeks,
(if one has not done so already.)

I listed my concerns for a rational decision based on my experiences and preferences.

Photography is a hobby. So one should apply rationality with flexibility ... :D

Last edited:
It's the screen based user experience that would kill it for me even if I wanted to spend what this will cost on a camera. I know we're heading into the times when everything will be done with a smartphone or a smartphone type user experience and interface but I just don't like it. Give me dials and buttons please.

That is ridonkulous! The grip also looks really uncomfortable

The grip does indeed look awful. Proof is in the pudding and all that but I cannot see how that can be comfortable.

Not massively interested in this but I do like the sound of some of the innovations. Built in SSD is either inspired or a potential disaster. Not quite sure which yet but built in LR could be superb for work flow. Even ignoring the editing aspect, I assume it means that raw files can sync with your computer on the fly no matter where you are if you have an internet connection that is. As an LR user, that sounds fantastic.

Hi, hands-on pix of the zx-1, or should we say hands-full?

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1...on-with-the-full-frame-android-camera?slide=2

R.I.P. !

I do think this will find buyers so the question is how many and will they be enough to justify production?

I don't like the idea of a camera that handles like a smartphone or tablet and does things via a touch screen, that's just not for me, but I can imagine many people liking it. To me it's a sort of Leica badge cudos fashion accessory thing but without the clunky 1920's everything metal dial and knob manual operation and I'm sure that'll appeal to some people who like nice things but don't want to be stuck in 1920. Maybe it'll even appeal to younger moneyed people, younger than those who would buy a 1920's style Leica.

The size might not even be an issue either. I often look at high end watches which tend to be the size of a grandfather clock and wonder who would wear them but some people seem to like them and I'm sure this Zeiss will have its fans too.

I'd guess it would have drawn more interest were the lens to be faster, seems like a camera that size could balance a 35mm F/1.4 lens.

I'd guess it would have drawn more interest were the lens to be faster, seems like a camera that size could balance a 35mm F/1.4 lens.

Sure, they could have done so. But an 1,4/35 Distagon (I have the Leica M mount version) would be even bigger with AF.

The ZEISS Distagons are very good!

I thank you all for your contributions both positive and negative views but It's only caused confusion in my grey matter as to which way to go. I do like the idea of the inbuilt SSD, having the use of only the one arm would eliminate trying to wrestle one into it's slot, and the lens I like, I also like?????????
Leica are bringing out a Q2, not sure when and it's claimed to be (waterproof) to some degree so that's a plus for me on my cart. So I'll wait for this one and add something like the C-LUX

I thank you all for your contributions both positive and negative views but It's only caused confusion in my grey matter as to which way to go. I do like the idea of the inbuilt SSD, having the use of only the one arm would eliminate trying to wrestle one into it's slot, and the lens I like, I also like?????????
Leica are bringing out a Q2, not sure when and it's claimed to be (waterproof) to some degree so that's a plus for me on my cart. So I'll wait for this one and add something like the C-LUX

Cameras like this are not entirely rational, objective purchases - their special appeal is emotional. In other words, just get one in your hand and you'll know.

The only time I would say you need to engage the grey matter is, if you like the way it works make sure it does actually work the way you want it to. Any shortcomings there will start to grate after the honeymoon :)

Thanks for your input above HoppyUK.
I do so wish I could go back to my 1d's and 5d's with the lenses I had but trying to find something that I can handle and that can do my landscapes (hence the fixed lens) and another for the wildlife ( something like the C-LUX ) not my perfect camera and won't cover all aspects of this field but I am restricted by the one arm

The Leica Q2 announcment date is anticipated today (perhaps tomorrow), and stores may have stock before end of week.

It has increased water/dust resistance - my understanding of the term 'waterproof' (used by one article) would mean it could be submersed in water - that is not the case.
One of the changes includes a new battery system (like the SL and Hasselblad X1D) which has no door and creates a seal when pushed in.
I haven't double-checked by probably removal of microphone/speaker holes on top of camera too.

Last edited:
The Leica Q2 announcment date is anticipated today (perhaps tomorrow), and stores may have stock before end of week.

It has increased water/dust resistance - my understanding of the term 'waterproof' (used by one article) would mean it could be submersed in water - that is not the case.
One of the changes includes a new battery system (like the SL and Hasselblad X1D) which has no door and creates a seal when pushed in.
I haven't double-checked by probably removal of microphone/speaker holes on top of camera too.

47MP 28mm fixed compact.... drooling!

32gb internal memory, as well as sdslot. Battery life double from Q 300 to 600

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q2-digital-rangefinder-Page-2.html

I'd find 28mm a touch wide so I like the idea of framelines and an in camera 35mm crop but I'm not sure how it all works...

Do you see the whole frame with a 35mm crop visible in the evf? That'd be very nice. Does the crop apply to raws and if so is it easy to resort to the full image in raw?

Anyway, sorry to anyone interested in the Zeiss for taking this off track...

PS.
I've always liked the idea of a fixed lens camera and of the Leica Q / Sony RX1 cameras it's the Sony that appeals to me more because of the 35mm lens but I don't like the pop up evf and would be happier with a fixed one even if it meant having a larger camera.

One big thing for me though is the fear of sensor contamination. I know it's less likely and even probably much less likely to happen with these fixed lens cameras but in my mind it's a possibility and one that would mean the camera going off for repair rather than a simple clean at home as with my A7. Being honest it's possibly an irrational fear but one that will probably prevent me from ever spending a lot of money on a fixed lens / uncleanable at home sensor camera.

Last edited:
I'd find 28mm a touch wide so I like the idea of framelines and an in camera 35mm crop but I'm not sure how it all works...

Do you see the whole frame with a 35mm crop visible in the evf? That'd be very nice. Does the crop apply to raws and if so is it easy to resort to the full image in raw?

Anyway, sorry to anyone interested in the Zeiss for taking this off track...

On the Q you get frame lines appearing like a rangefinder, so you can still see the 28mm outside of them. You can adjust the frame lines for 35 or 50.

When you import to lightroom it auto crops to the focal length as shot, but you can change the crop and go back to 28mm.

I am hoping that the Q2 magnified the crop mode instead, especially now with 75mm crop lines

Thanks.

That seems pretty much ideal as you'll see what's outside of the frame as with an rf. And the crops apply to raws too?

I'll probably never get one due to the irrational dust bunny fear thing of mine and in reality the A7 and 35mm f2.8 does most of what I want relatively cheaply and without the dust bunny fixation but it's nice to daydream a little...

I've always liked the idea of a fixed lens camera and of the Leica Q / Sony RX1 cameras it's the Sony that appeals to me more because of the 35mm lens but I don't like the pop up evf and would be happier with a fixed one even if it meant having a larger camera.

One big thing for me though is the fear of sensor contamination. I know it's less likely and even probably much less likely to happen with these fixed lens cameras but in my mind it's a possibility and one that would mean the camera going off for repair rather than a simple clean at home as with my A7. Being honest it's possibly an irrational fear but one that will probably prevent me from ever spending a lot of money on a fixed lens / uncleanable at home sensor camera.

Dust on the sensor is a possibility with the Q however must be rare, I’ve only seen one report on forums. The Q2 should be even less vulnerable with its dust and water resistance improvements.

I love fixed lens systems because the lens can be made to suit the sensor without the compromise of a interchangeable lens system. So the whole thing can be small with outstanding image quality.

The autofocus on the Q over the rx1r really is the icing on cake.

Thanks.

That seems pretty much ideal as you'll see what's outside of the frame as with an rf. And the crops apply to raws too?

I'll probably never get one due to the irrational dust bunny fear thing of mine and in reality the A7 and 35mm f2.8 does most of what I want relatively cheaply and without the dust bunny fixation but it's nice to daydream a little...

Yes it applies the soft crop to Raws. Undoable in post.

Good.

I like the idea of a quality simple fixed lens camera and simple and fixed everything is how I started with my Kodak Instamatic. In many ways they're very limiting but in others they're liberating as a lot of things that could distract are missing and as a result the gear gets out of the way.

Priced at £4250, reviews and videos popping up everywhere. Have put my pre-order in.

Good.

I like the idea of a quality simple fixed lens camera and simple and fixed everything is how I started with my Kodak Instamatic. In many ways they're very limiting but in others they're liberating as a lot of things that could distract are missing and as a result the gear gets out of the way.
I own and use fixed, prime lens cameras - all film cameras - and yes, both limiting and liberating. I paid between £5.00 and £15.00 for those cameras and I would be delighted to buy and use a Zeiss ZX1 for £15.00. I cannot imagine why anyone would buy such a limited camera for the asking price.

Back