Zenfolio customisation help

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I seem to be having real difficulty sorting out my zenfolio site as I would like, I cannot get the same layout on the built in pages as I have on my homepage. I am mainly having troubles with the menu options. I've been in touch with Zenfolio but they also seem to be unable to resolve it!

Can anyone help? My site is below and is by no means finished or ready so please don't comment on that side of it, I'd just like help on how to make it all look the same. As soon as you leave the homepage the menu items disappear!

http://www.sarahstanbrookphotography.co.uk/

How are you making the pages? I really don't know enough about Zenfolio but when I am doing something like this, I use the same code for each page and make the changes as and where necessary.

What is missing on the subsequent pages is the code for "home" "about" "prices" etc and you can copy and paste this in but that's not really an adequate solution.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of Zenfolio will come along and guide you through it.

As you haven't gone very far with the site, it might be an idea to start again from scratch and look carefully at the options for each page.

How are you making the pages? I really don't know enough about Zenfolio but when I am doing something like this, I use the same code for each page and make the changes as and where necessary.

What is missing on the subsequent pages is the code for "home" "about" "prices" etc and you can copy and paste this in but that's not really an adequate solution.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of Zenfolio will come along and guide you through it.

As you haven't gone very far with the site, it might be an idea to start again from scratch and look carefully at the options for each page.

I had thought about starting again but I'd rather not if I can! Thanks for replying!

Is your ZF homepage a custom made page, I can't see that homepage page layout amongst the available themes. I see the other pages are from the Cosmic theme.

THere is also the Zenfolio forums where you might get more info. I think there is a lot of members from the other side of the pond so you might not get quick responses. Zenfolio forum

Is your ZF homepage a custom made page, I can't see that homepage page layout amongst the available themes. I see the other pages are from the Cosmic theme.

Yeah it is a custom made theme but the others should match. I will take a look.

Thanks

Hi Sarah,

I am not familar with the zenfolio package but have coded a few sites during my time. As the raven mentioned above it sounds as though the navigation section is missing. Depending on how the template is coded this could be because it is stored in a seperate file and just being referenced as an include in the main page, but this is missing in your subsequent custom pages. If so you may not specifically see words like 'home', 'about' etc.

Without seeing the code its not easy to say for sure, although if you have access to the home page, and your custom page code, id be happy to take a look, just pm me.

Having looked at the zenfolio home page, however I note that this is a paid service, as such there should not be any reason why they come back and tell you they cant help with getting your navigation panel on your custom pages.

Sarah,

just a quick update to the above post. I have just taken out the free trial to have a look at this and from playing around and browsing the forums it looks like this is a common problem.

If I understand you correctly what you want to do is keep your menu items exactly where they are on your home page but on all the other pages as well. Zenfolio does not cater for this, the closest you can do is to display them on all other pages but it shifts them up and to the right, although you may be able to center them or left align them, but they will not stay in the same place.

This is because the menu on the home page uses a special module (code) to place a special 'home page menu' on the home page, this menu code is not replicated to the other pages, and you cannot get it there even if you try creating a custom theme ( I tried )

If you are happy with the menu items being on the other pages but not in the same place you can turn them on by doing the following.

1. log into your admin menu and goto the 'site menu' option

2. In the site menu window that pops up select the menu items tab

3. Scroll down the list until you see the about section

4. Click the 'edit' link to modify this item

5. then tick the box to show in page header

There may be a way of 'fudging the system' by creating a custom theme, but its a bit more difficult. Ill give it a go though I like the challenge :)

Sad to say that I dont think it is possible. I have gotten close by using custom pages, but not close enough, the oveall menu is slightly bigger on the secondary pages and it keeps inserting an extra line before the header shifting it down slightly.

To be honest unless your an ace with code, even doing it this way was incredibly messy. There are a lot of people on the zenfolio forums wanting the same thing so with any luck it may get implemented in the near future.

Sorry I cant help further

Sad to say that I dont think it is possible. I have gotten close by using custom pages, but not close enough, the oveall menu is slightly bigger on the secondary pages and it keeps inserting an extra line before the header shifting it down slightly.

To be honest unless your an ace with code, even doing it this way was incredibly messy. There are a lot of people on the zenfolio forums wanting the same thing so with any luck it may get implemented in the near future.

Sorry I cant help further

Hey,

Thank you so much for trying to help, I really appreciate it. I was beginning to wonder myself if what I wanted wasn't actually possible. It isn't helped by the fact that Zenfolio are really slow to reply even taking into account the time difference as they are American!

Thanks once again. :)

Thats a common problem, but one you forget about after a while. I've been with zenfolio for three years and have found that if enough people comment on a problem in the forum they fix it in time..

Thats a common problem, but one you forget about after a while. I've been with zenfolio for three years and have found that if enough people comment on a problem in the forum they fix it in time..

I'll make sure I do that then!

Back