Zenit-E how to use it?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a Zenit-E on ebay ages ago and never used it, I want to have a go with it but haven't a clue how to use it.. I tried to read the instructions online but they didn't make any sense.. is there a simple how to guide for it? or anyone have one? How do I set exposure etc? is there a meter in it?

Get some film. Set the shutter speed to the closest number to the ISO of the film:

ISO 100 - 1/125
ISO 200 - 1/250
ISO 400 - 1/500

Then set the aperture to suit the light:

Bright sun - f16
Bright cloudy - f11
Overcast - f8
Dull - f5.6

This is known as sunny 16 - look it up on Google

Then point it at something, focus and press the shutter!

Steve.

I have some poundland film in the house.. so it's full manual? no exposure meter in it? just guessing?

There was a whole range of cameras under the Zenith-E title, and some had meters while others didn't. Some info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenit_(camera) but even the metered ones weren't linked, so you had to transfer the meter readings to the lens as it was fully manual. If yours doesn't have a meter then Steve's Sunny 16 rule is a good starting point, but a bit iffy at this time of year. You can take meter readings from another camera and set the Zenith with these readings.

Last edited:
THE Zenit E has a light meter built in as far as I can recall, whether it still works is another matter.

They were not the easiest camera to get on with but could be worth the effort in the right hands.

I wish you well with it......

Cheers guys.. will get some film in it.. I also have a nikon f-801 and also an penta that my dad used to take photo's of me and my brother 37 years ago.. although I think the meter in it has had it..

Cheers guys.. will get some film in it.. I also have a nikon f-801 and also an penta that my dad used to take photo's of me and my brother 37 years ago.. although I think the meter in it has had it..

You don't have to take the meter readings from another film camera. Readings from a digital camera should be close enough if you set it to the same iso, and certainly better than a dodgy meter or an educated guess. (y)

There was a whole range of cameras under the Zenith-E title, and some had meters while others didn't. Some info here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zenit_(camera) but even the metered ones weren't linked, so you had to transfer the meter readings to the lens as it was fully manual. If yours doesn't have a meter then Steve's Sunny 16 rule is a good starting point, but a bit iffy at this time of year. You can take meter readings from another camera and set the Zenith with these readings.

I've always preferred Sunny 11 for the UK. I think Sunny 16 started in California, where sunlight is a lot stronger, and I use it in SA. Colour negative film is pretty forgiving anyway.

still dont get you out in time for the sunrise tho does it ,,:D
I don't need to, some folk make enough noise to wake @ChrisR and he goes out and takes pictures for all of us, thanks Chris (y)

You might have to focus wide-open and then stop down to your required aperture depending on the lens, I think

It's a 50mm f/2.8 on it
Then yeah. From the manual, it looks like the 58mm Helios has an extra preset aperture ring, but the 50mm Industar doesn't. So, focus wide open, then stop down to where you want to be, then take the photo.

The Zenith E has a selenium cell light meter, and 99% probability that it is exhausted, even if the needle still moves, do not trust it. But you can always compare it against the one in your F-801, check if you get the same values under the same conditions and settings.

You can get a decent light meter app for smart phones. I use one with my zorki, saves taking another camera with you just for metering.

Any app in particular? I use an android phone

They're all much of a muchness, but I use Light Meter Free, because it looks purty.

The catch is, not all Android phones implement the function needed for the app to get the exposure details from the camera, so the app doesn't work on all phones. It works on my Samsung, but didn't work on my Huawei.

They're all much of a muchness, but I use Light Meter Free, because it looks purty.

The catch is, not all Android phones implement the function needed for the app to get the exposure details from the camera, so the app doesn't work on all phones. It works on my Samsung, but didn't work on my Huawei.

Yes, doesn't work on my Samsung S3 Mini, which I bought particularly to use as a light meter, having read that Samsung phones were supported! :(:(:(

Yeah, the Android variability is annoying. However it did get me out a hole a couple weeks ago where I'd hiked 3 hours (in the dark) to Ben Lui and realised all my proper light meters were in my other bag!

I have several Zenith E all given -- only one works properly -- the shutter on one does not close and someone forced the shutter speed dial the wrong way on another. you must always set the shutter speed after winding on or you will jam it -- like on the Russian Fed 4 Then a tip for easy loading ; attach film leader under the 'spring' with emulsion side out first then bring it over to the cassette chamber , that way film will not slip out. You will see that the film winds back on itself. I have taken many good photos with Zenith E but the meter does not work so I 'Guess' or use a trusty 1970's Weston Master V exposure meter.
Russian Zenith E.jpg

Your Zenit E is the SLR equivalent of my Zorki 4 rangefinder. Fully manual, with a reasonably fast, sharp (thanks to high contrast) lens. I did manage to get some really good results on the Zorki and there's no reason why you shouldn't also with the Zenit.

Your best bet for exposure - apart from using the 'rule of thumb' method described above - is to get hold of a handheld exposure meter. Weston made the definitive meters, but even now they may be quite expensive? (Try eBay). However, there was a more than capable Russian equivalent (of course!) which went under the name of the Leningrad, and very similar to the Weston. The advantage of this type of meter is that you can use them two ways:
  1. As with a camera's own meter, point it at the subject and read off the exposure settings you need; this is 'reflected light metering'
  2. Put the white plastic strip or cone over the meter and point the meter at the light source for your reading; this is 'incident light metering' and some used to swear it was superior
Either way, the Zenit is totally basic and manual, but will give you hours of fun, strong muscles (!), and teach you more about photography than most other things can.

The Nikon F 801 takes four AA batteries loaded into a drop out section in the handgrip, released by a small screw, turnable by a finger in the base. Load it up and see whether the meter works. Mine still does from 25 years ago and it remains accurate. Whilst you can't realistically use the Nikon G series lenses with no aperture ring with it, the older D lenses and anything with an aperture ring with the Nikon fitting are just fine.

The Nikon F 801 takes four AA batteries loaded into a drop out section in the handgrip, released by a small screw, turnable by a finger in the base. Load it up and see whether the meter works. Mine still does from 25 years ago and it remains accurate. Whilst you can't realistically use the Nikon G series lenses with no aperture ring with it, the older D lenses and anything with an aperture ring with the Nikon fitting are just fine.

Thanks.. I have a 35mm f2, 50mm f1.8 a 85mm f1.8 and a 70-210 f4.. so all should work on the 801.. thanks

My first Nikon, I bought in the late 80's early 90's and I still have it, it still works just fine.

I also have an old Pentax that my used to take pictures of me and my brother 34 years ago.. meter is shot in it though..

Is that a Spotmatic or related camera, Adam (ie M42 thread mount)? Or a later K bayonet mount? Both are great camera systems with a wide range of excellent lenses, might be worth £40 or so on a CLA...

Just checked and it's actually a Ricoh singlex II with a smc take Mar 50mm f/1.4 lens.. it's a screw mount lens too..

I have several Zenith E all given -- only one works properly -- the shutter on one does not close and someone forced the shutter speed dial the wrong way on another. you must always set the shutter speed after winding on or you will jam it -- like on the Russian Fed 4 Then a tip for easy loading ; attach film leader under the 'spring' with emulsion side out first then bring it over to the cassette chamber , that way film will not slip out. You will see that the film winds back on itself. I have taken many good photos with Zenith E but the meter does not work so I 'Guess' or use a trusty 1970's Weston Master V exposure meter.
View attachment 50173
"You must always set the shutter speed after winding on" ! I used to set before and after winding on for 3yrs my camera never jambed! That's a new one on me.LOL

"You must always set the shutter speed after winding on" ! I used to set before and after winding on for 3yrs my camera never jambed! That's a new one on me.LOL
It was the same system on the Zorki 4 - though in that case you actually felt very strong resistance if you didn't wind on first, and I guess real damage could have been caused!

Back