Zenit EM with unusual Zeiss 50mm lens M42

The Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8 lens fitted to this camera, looks very like the one fitted to my first ever SLR, the Practica LTL3, with the only variation being the aluminum aperture ring. Both cameras used the M42 mount, so lenses were interchangeable.

The Tessar is supposed to be a very good lens, but I have sooo many nifty fiftys inc M42.

Well, yes. Remember it's a Carl Zeiss Jena (the East European one) lens not one of the western Zeiss lenses, there's a big difference....

ok i only posted for others - as I know zip about these but

camera + lens for £16 ...........:shake:

I messed about with m42mount cameras not long back, spotmatics a fujica 605, Ricoh and Yashica, non of which I rated higher than the Zenit XP I had...:shrug:

Having had 2 Zenit 12XP's and now a Fujica ST605N I can only say the Fujica is night and day superior to the Zenit.

in your opinion..

Well that's not my experience, I think night and day is a bit strong, they are just simple metering slr's, far too similar to be night and day apart.

Were the Zeniths really that bad? I had one similar to this when I was at school, but probably more basic. Non-return mirror, no meter and manual stop down only. I couldn't afford anything else, the Practicas were way out of my reach, and I used it for several years. I only shot slides and B & W IIRC, but the results were pretty good. Well, by my standards 40 years ago anyway!

I have a Zenith B. Bought in 1970 and used lots for the next 15 years. It never failed. I still have it and it works perfectly.

As for the quality of pictures, that's down to the lens and the operator. Nobody ever complained about the Helios lens quality and results and even today people are buying them up to put on the m43 bodies.

In recent years I've bought 2 Zenith EMs, both in good condition and in perfect working order.

So no complaints here.

I just paid £6.76 for a zenit and lens posted with a case.

They're heavy buggers, most (if not all) of that was probably postage!

I have a Zenith B. Bought in 1970 and used lots for the next 15 years. It never failed. I still have it and it works perfectly.

As for the quality of pictures, that's down to the lens and the operator. Nobody ever complained about the Helios lens quality and results and even today people are buying them up to put on the m43 bodies.

In recent years I've bought 2 Zenith EMs, both in good condition and in perfect working order.

So no complaints here.

I've still got my original EM with the Helios lens, never had any issues with it, plus it taught me how to use an independent light meter :)

Could you enlighten me on this subject?

I'm interested..

After WWII the company was split, the main Carl Zeiss production facilities being transferred to Oberkochen in West Germany. The remainder, under Russian control, traded as Carl Zeiss Jena, there's no connection other than name between the two. After German reunification CZ Jena became Jenoptik.

There are also apparently a load of late 70s/early 80s cheap Sigma lenses that were sold in the UK with Carl Zeiss Jena markings.

Were the Zeniths really that bad? I had one similar to this when I was at school, but probably more basic. Non-return mirror, no meter and manual stop down only. I couldn't afford anything else, the Practicas were way out of my reach, and I used it for several years. I only shot slides and B & W IIRC, but the results were pretty good. Well, by my standards 40 years ago anyway!

Well another way of looking at it is:- in 2010 when all film cameras are cheap who would use an old Zenit camera. I got one at a bootie (the one with the revolving dial when firing) for the lens and it only took me about 10mins playing to completely dislike it...and it went to a charity shop.

I have to agree with Brian here, a tenner and a bit of patience will get a much better handling camera than the Zenits, probably with a decent TTL metering system etc. The only real reason to buy one of these would be if it was either a couple of quid with the lens or if you had a sentimental attachment to them, i.e. you had one as a first camera, and want to have another for old times sakes. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against old cameras with poor or no metering and manual everything, I've 4 cameras of that persuasion myself, but for general shooting on 35mm I grab something with a meter that I can trust :shrug:

From a collector's point of view, you could probably build up a nice collection of the various models for about, oh.......a tenner :D

I have to agree with Brian here, a tenner and a bit of patience will get a much better handling camera than the Zenits, probably with a decent TTL metering system etc. The only real reason to buy one of these would be if it was either a couple of quid with the lens or if you had a sentimental attachment to them, i.e. you had one as a first camera, and want to have another for old times sakes. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against old cameras with poor or no metering and manual everything, I've 4 cameras of that persuasion myself, but for general shooting on 35mm I grab something with a meter that I can trust :shrug:

Fair enough. I've no idea what happened to mine, and I'm not looking for another one, but it was cheap and served it's purpose well at the time.

I still have my F2 and FM, and use them occasionally. They're streets ahead of the old Zenith of course. That's pretty much where my film interest is now. Fully mechanical and manual. There's no special reason, I'm not a "purist" or particularly nostalgic. I just like them.

well....:thinking:

29 posts in 2 days for a rubbish camera.....glad i didn't post a Nikon F3................:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back