Zenit ttl rewind issue

Name
Mads
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm getting to the point of losing my patience here.

I know that to rewind a film in this thing I have to turn the little dial under the shutter release anti clockwise. Bonza.
Unfortunately after a couple of winds, the crank goes stiff and if pressure is applied, it makes a funny noise and spins freely, not winding the film in at all.
I know from the last time that its pulling the film out of the canister, or rather unanchoring the end from the spool, which suggests to me the advance mechanism isn't disengaging properly, but if that we're the case, surely it would be difficult from the start, not a few winds in?

Any ideas guys?

i had a similer problem, cant remmber how it got fixed other than a bunch of fiddling, and i might of been trying to wind it the wrong way xD

do you have a darkroom/dark bag?

Yeah, I'll get it out in a bag like last time. That reminds me, the winding spool definitely disengages enough for me to remove the film fairly easily once it's open.
I might sacrifice some pound land special, see if I can see the issue

i have a junk roll i use to play about and check stuff :)
i went to have a play with my later zenith (80s olympics special :D ) and its got a film in :(

Well, I've had a little play... my current thinking is perhaps the little twistyknob to allow it to rewind isnt staying in the unlocked position... I really hope thats it because I'm loving using this camera.

Incidentally, this is what the commie ******* did to my hp5, on which there were some shots I was looking forward to seeing.

Mullered by a zenit ttl by Mads.S, on Flickr

I'll be watching this thread, my TTL does the exact same thing and sadly the last roll of film that I took out (from the previous owner) also came out ripped up. Kind of frightened to put my own roll in it.

I've run another film thorugh it a few times, it seems that perhaps I've not gotten the rewind release thingy turned properly, or perhaps it turns back a ways while winding.
I'm hoping the next film I run through it doesn't suffer the same fate.

Just retrieved this from inside the film canister.

Mullered pt2 by Mads.S, on Flickr

Looks like its the guide sprockets doing it

I've run another film thorugh it a few times, it seems that perhaps I've not gotten the rewind release thingy turned properly, or perhaps it turns back a ways while winding.
I'm hoping the next film I run through it doesn't suffer the same fate.

Just retrieved this from inside the film canister.

Mullered pt2 by Mads.S, on Flickr

Looks like its the guide sprockets doing it

It is a bit fiddly but you have to get it turned fully so the collar is all the way down.

There's a collar? *goes to have a very close look*

I'll be honest, I cant see any downward movement on it at all

Last edited:
There's a collar? *goes to have a very close look*

I'll be honest, I cant see any downward movement on it at all

Turn it clockwise I think, it should move flush with the mount on the top plate.

Nick, the only thing I can think of is the turny bit that the shutter release is mounted in, but that only turns, doesn't go up or down. Is it possible mine has no collar as such?

jPxnGiM.jpg
<<< mine looks just like that on the top

get a spotmatic - problem solved :)

Nick, the only thing I can think of is the turny bit that the shutter release is mounted in, but that only turns, doesn't go up or down. Is it possible mine has no collar as such?

That 'turny bit' should turn and lock into place, this will enable the film to be rewound without ripping the film sprockets. I can see the little arrow is pointing anti-clockwise I'm not sure whether that means you should turn the collar anti-clockwise or that it merely signifies that that is the rewind setting, you'll have to try it. On other soviet cameras that have a similar collar you can also see it pull the shutter button slightly down but I'm not sure if this is the case for the TTL.

This might help you as well from the manual
Removing exposed film

(1) Before attempting to rewind a film put the cap, supplied with your camera, back on the lens. This is simply a precautionary measure to prevent any portion of the last frame being exposed to light, since the Rewind Release has the effect of firing the shutter even if, as sometimes happens, the Transport Lever is only partly wound when the end of the film has been reached.

(2) Releasing the film for rewinding. The Zenith TTL has a locking device which permits rewinding without constant application of pressure.
To engage it first press the Shutter Release Button (3) then turn the Rewind Release Ring (4) fully anti-clockwise. Make sure the Ring is turned until no further movement is possible and you'll then be able to rewind the whole film quite freely.

(3) Rewinding. To rewind the film it is necessary to lift the crank handle out of its recess and into the position as indicated below. The Rewind Knob (18) should be gripped firmly by the crank and rotated in a clockwise direction (as indicated by the engraved arrow). While resistance is felt you are rewinding the film back into the cassette (the knob will turn freely without resistance when the film has been fully rewound).4www.butkus.org

(4) Having rewound the film, remove the camera from its case, raise the Back Catch (16) and swing the Camera Back (27) open. Pull the Rewind Knob (18) upwards fully and take the cassette of exposed film out of its Chamber (22). Your film is now ready for processing.

(5) The camera can now be reloaded (after observing precautions on p.3). If you don't want to reload till a later date return the Rewind Knob to its 'closed position.

You can view the manual here http://www.butkus.org/chinon/russian/zenith_ttl/zenith_ttl.htm

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
spotmatic has a different feel abit it, and theres a more addictive sound to the zeniths shutter sound, imo. :)

spotmatic does have a lovely winding lever tho...
i think the shutter button can be turned to lock it, maybe that does something when you rewind?

Back