Zenza Bronica at the Seafront

Jao

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
A few shots with quite a dark feel from a recent stroll along the windy prom at Lowestoft. It was a very changeable day with quite dramatic skies. All were taken with my Bronica ETRS, 50mm lens, Hoya red filter, shot on Ilford HP5, developed in Ilford LC29, first time I have tried this developer and I quite like the results. Not sure what happened on the last frame as there is a clear light leak from somewhere! I have not spotted a leak on any other frame. I do like this camera and lens combination and really should use them more often I think.

Comments welcome.

1. Seaside telescope
11195390334_8de684f2ab_c_d.jpg

2. Lifeguards Long Gone!
11195551743_97e1d8ab1e_c_d.jpg

3. Lifeguards Long Gone II
11195577183_934c20ef2b_c_d.jpg

4. Autumn promenade
11195412234_a2fbed901d_c_d.jpg

5. King of the Sea
11195344233_53583d8e65_c_d.jpg

Adrian, I like these. The foreground points of interest in the the first few don't quite work for me, and as you noted the light leak damages the last. The 4th may not be quite level (seems like the lamp posts are not quite vertical, but that may be parallax), but is my favourite and has worked really well, the red filter givng a great sense of drama to the shot.

Really nice Adrian and looking at those you really should use that combination more often, they have a gorgeous feel to them, i love the first one, i kinda like shots like that...great set(y)

Very much like the light in #5,good sky as well,it almost looks like there is a shaft of light streaming down the centre of the frame.

Very nice Adrian, I've been mulling over a Bronica for a while. Hooley keeps trying to put me off but he's just an RB fanboy.

@joe Why don't you have a go then mate, pop over to F&C, lots of helpful hints and ideas in the stickies and a wealth of knowledge from the members.

Andy

Great set Adrian..... really like 1 and 4, but the last one is my favourite.

Adrian, what a great set.

They are all strong but I agree that 5 is my favourite too. They sit really well together as a set and the dramatic sky is great giving a sense of impending doom. I'm not sure about where they were taken (is Lowestoft run down or elegant), but the set hints at a slightly run down seafront past its prime. I say hints because there are glimpses of tattiness but I cant tell whether its the harsh sea weather environment or neglect causing it. Perhaps one extra photo confirming the situation would complete the picture for me.

Great work.

Last edited:
A few shots with quite a dark feel from a recent stroll along the windy prom at Lowestoft. It was a very changeable day with quite dramatic skies. All were taken with my Bronica ETRS, 50mm lens, Hoya red filter, shot on Ilford HP5, developed in Ilford LC29, first time I have tried this developer and I quite like the results. Not sure what happened on the last frame as there is a clear light leak from somewhere! I have not spotted a leak on any other frame. I do like this camera and lens combination and really should use them more often I think.

Comments welcome.

1. Seaside telescope
11195390334_8de684f2ab_c_d.jpg

2. Lifeguards Long Gone!
11195551743_97e1d8ab1e_c_d.jpg

3. Lifeguards Long Gone II
11195577183_934c20ef2b_c_d.jpg

4. Autumn promenade
11195412234_a2fbed901d_c_d.jpg

5. King of the Sea
11195344233_53583d8e65_c_d.jpg

Nice set Adrian, all views very familiar to me.

They are all strong but I agree that 5 is my favourite too. They sit really well together as a set and the dramatic sky is great giving a sense of impending doom. I'm not sure about where they were taken (is Lowestoft run down or elegant), but the set hints at a slightly run down seafront past its prime. I say hints because there are glimpses of tattiness but I cant tell whether its the harsh sea weather environment or neglect causing it. Perhaps one extra photo confirming the situation would complete the picture for me.

Great work.

Lowestoft = Margate without the class.:)

Adrian, I like these. The foreground points of interest in the the first few don't quite work for me, and as you noted the light leak damages the last. The 4th may not be quite level (seems like the lamp posts are not quite vertical, but that may be parallax), but is my favourite and has worked really well, the red filter givng a great sense of drama to the shot.

Chris, many thanks for the comments and observations, all welcome and valued. The foreground objects are very idiosyncratic and influenced by my love of Egglestone and his art of the mundane, but not everyone's cup of tea I recognise. You are right about the horizon and lines in number 4, there is something not quite square, time for a spirit level on the hot shoe of the Bronica Grip I think! I am bewildered by the light leak on the 5th image! No other frame has this leak, a veritable conundrum.

Really nice Adrian and looking at those you really should use that combination more often, they have a gorgeous feel to them, i love the first one, i kinda like shots like that...great set(y)

Thanks T for your kind comments, I will be wielding this combination over the autumn and winter. I think.

1,4,5 really work for me, Been meaning to get into this film stuff for some time now...

Joe many thanks for comments much appreciated, you really should give film a go, you clearly are a skilled photographer, I am sure you would secure some fine results through this medium.

Very much like the light in #5,good sky as well,it almost looks like there is a shaft of light streaming down the centre of the frame.

Cheers Richard, the shaft of light was unintentional, a light leak but one that is proving a challenge to identify why as it's not on any other frame!

Very nice Adrian, I've been mulling over a Bronica for a while. Hooley keeps trying to put me off but he's just an RB fanboy.

Andy
Andy, I bought the ETRS on a bit of a whim really but I do like it. With the winder/grip and prism it handles like a big 35mm. They are a bit of a marmite, love em or hate em camera but I really like it. they are also cheap as chips, I bought mine and three lenses for less than the cost of my 'Blad Body.

Great set Adrian..... really like 1 and 4, but the last one is my favourite.

Cheers Lee

Great work.

Steve, many thanks for your comments, 5 is unusual but. I am pleased with the outcome, I used a red filter to add some drama to the already angry skies. Lowestoft is a great location in my view, about 25 miles from where I live in rural Norfolk. It is absolutely a place of fading grandeur and glory and has seen better times. That said the people are in my view great. I lived and worked there for a while when I moved up from London 14 years ago and as a result have a real soft spot for the town. It is a very photogenic spot and The Asda turns my 35mm negs around quickly.

Nice set Adrian, all views very familiar to me.

Lowestoft = Margate without the class.:)

Thanks for the comments David, I thought you would know the location and recognise this is some of your photographic stomping ground,

Lowestoft=Margate without the class:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Scott, thanks for your comment, #4 seems to be a popular shot.

Adrian, re the light leak, if you think back to the shots was there a longer gap before the "light-leak-affected" frame than the others? I had not dissimilar effects on my Pentax ME; no light leaks where the frames were taken fairly quickly, obvious light leaks where I had wandered around for a while with the camera on my shoulder (a while sometimes meaning days).

Chris, the situation might have been similar to the one you describe. I am going to examine the back in more detail this weekend to see if I can find the source of the leak!

I like these moody shots particularly 2, 3 and 4. Digging the grain too.

Thanks Steve, comments appreciated

I like this set of images. The bronica and 50mm is a combination I have too and I am also pretty pleased with the way they turn out.

They are superb. But the standout is #5. Light leak works a treat here.;)

Thanks Trevor, comments appreciated, the light leak strangely works. That said I still have to establish how it happened?

Back