Zenza Bronica SQ-A advice please

Name
Steve, Coventry, England
Edit My Images
Yes
My daughter has wanted one for a while, what should we look out for?

What standard 80mm lenses are preferred, and any to avoid?

Does it have a built in shutter, or is the shutter in the lenses (probably a daft question :) )

And any other comments welcome.

I don't know about the SQ-A I'm afraid Steve, but just FYI; I shall be posting details of my ETRSi kit with lenses, viewfinder, winder etc. in classifieds in the next couple of days - more shots per roll. ;)

I don't know about the SQ-A I'm afraid Steve, but just FYI; I shall be posting details of my ETRSi kit with lenses, viewfinder, winder etc. in classifieds in the next couple of days - more shots per roll. ;)
Thanks, she says that is only 6X4.5, is that correct?

Any way inline with forum rules you can give any indication of price?

My daughter has wanted one for a while, what should we look out for?

What standard 80mm lenses are preferred, and any to avoid?

Does it have a built in shutter, or is the shutter in the lenses (probably a daft question :) )

And any other comments welcome.
No such thing as a daft question Steve.

The shutter is in the lens.

I have the PS version f2.8 and I am happy with it, They differ from the earlier S versions in the way the lens is set for Time Exposure (T) on the PS the stud to allow the Time Exposure Release Lever to be moved, with the PS lens the locking catch can be moved (pulled out) by using one's finger nail but on the S one needs a screwdriver or small coin to unscrew it first.

I have PDF Manuals that might help but I can't send them via this Forum answer but will be happy to send them to you via email if you want just PM me.

One man's view

Thanks, she says that is only 6X4.5, is that correct?

Any way inline with forum rules you can give any indication of price?

Yes, it is a 6x45 - fifteen shots per roll as opposed to twelve. :)

It will be a sensible price (unlike what some ask on here :rolleyes:), but I have to add up what it's all cost me and photograph it yet. Hopefully, this week as I have a Rollei and a Nikon F to do as well. Roundtoits - I hate 'em. I'm always too busy chasing time . . . :facepalm:

No such thing as a daft question Steve.

The shutter is in the lens.

I have the PS version f2.8 and I am happy with it, They differ from the earlier S versions in the way the lens is set for Time Exposure (T) on the PS the stud to allow the Time Exposure Release Lever to be moved, with the PS lens the locking catch can be moved (pulled out) by using one's finger nail but on the S one needs a screwdriver or small coin to unscrew it first.

I have PDF Manuals that might help but I can't send them via this Forum answer but will be happy to send them to you via email if you want just PM me.

PS lens also has half stop aperture positions

Thanks for the replies, the lens on the one she is looking at is a 80mm Zenzanon-S lens, is that OK?

Thanks for the replies, the lens on the one she is looking at is a 80mm Zenzanon-S lens, is that OK?
Can't comment on the 80mm S lens as I have never had/used one (I had Bronica SQ-Ai in the pre-digital days) but I have the 40mm S and it is a fine lens.

BTW you can get a 6x45 back for the SQ-A (I have one) if you want to go 15 shots per roll occasionally, the focussing screen has lines for composition.

Last edited:
Can't comment on the 80mm S lens as I have never had/used one (I had Bronica SQ-Ai in the pre-digital days) but I have the 40mm S and it is a fine lens.

BTW you can get a 6x45 back for the SQ-A (I have one) if you want to go 15 shots per roll occasionally, the focussing screen has lines for composition.
Thanks, she bought it, it has a 6X4.5 back on it, and she plans to get a 6X6 back in the future.

Good to know the focusing screen has lines for it :)

I personally like the 6X4.5 format, one of my Lubitels has it

Thanks for all others comments too, I know nothing about them :)

Thanks, she bought it, it has a 6X4.5 back on it, and she plans to get a 6X6 back in the future.

She did well to get it with a 6x45 back those backs are not easy to come by. The 6x6 are plentiful on the 2nd hand market.

When I was using a SQ it was with S lenses and I don't ever remember wishing that I had bought the at the time much more expensive PS lenses, other than the wide angle (40mm?) which had a built in lens hood that precluded using a filter system holder.
I think your daughter will do fine with the S 80mm, I hope she enjoys using it.

Her camera arrived today, but a question.

When opening the film back, a small piece of plastic fell out.

Is it part of the camera, and does it matter, if so where does it go :)pl2.jpgpl1.jpg

I just looked at 2 6x6 backs and couldn't see anything that resembled that piece. :thinking:

Her camera arrived today, but a question.

When opening the film back, a small piece of plastic fell out.

Is it part of the camera, and does it matter, if so where does it go :)View attachment 397197View attachment 397198
Looks like one of these which I think are very important, it looks like the back is broken. PS sorry for the crappy hand held photo but it's late so no daylight and I don't have any gear for product photography.

L1010883.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like one of these whichj I think are very important, it looks like the back is broken. PS sorry for the crappy hand held photo but it's late so no daylight and I don't have any gear for product photography.

View attachment 397213

Photo is fine :)
It does look like that, I think it would come from the other side to that, will have to wait for my daughter to wake up to check.

The seller asked if we knew what we were doing when we opened it as there is a special way to do it, we were following the instructions and there was no problem, nothing got stuck or was hard.

Photo is fine :)
It does look like that, I think it would come from the other side to that, will have to wait for my daughter to wake up to check.

The seller asked if we knew what we were doing when we opened it as there is a special way to do it, we were following the instructions and there was no problem, nothing got stuck or was hard.
There is one on either side I just shot the one it was easiest to hold and shoot. The 6x6 backs have them too. It might be possible to glue it back into place but it will cost a roll of film to find out if it worked. If it was a 6x6 back it would be less of a problem because there are plenty on the 2nd hand market but as I said before the 6x45 backs are hard to come by and a lot more expensive when they show up.

Just checked one of my 6x6 backs and it has those. Fitting it together they look pretty important for light sealing.

as there is a special way to do it,
I've never heard of a "special" way of doing it. Mine open easily and the film holder just lifts straight out of the back, nothing falls off

Just checked one of my 6x6 backs and it has those. Fitting it together they look pretty important for light sealing.

I've never heard of a "special" way of doing it. Mine open easily and the film holder just lifts straight out of the back, nothing falls off
^^^ This, my bold + italic.
It sounds like the seller was aware of the broken back and is trying to shift responsibility for it on to you and your daughter trying to avoid a return and refund.
If it was bought from a dealer with a credit card or Ebay with PayPal you should get your or her money back quite easily.

Looks like one of these which I think are very important, it looks like the back is broken. PS sorry for the crappy hand held photo but it's late so no daylight and I don't have any gear for product photography.

View attachment 397213
I see where this piece is now, but it's different in my back as there isn't the round section in the middle and the metal bit protruding above it. Maybe that's a 6x4.5 thing? I'd definitely be returning it or at least getting a partial refund for a replacement filmback.

20230802_093043-tp.jpg

Last edited:

No special way to my knowledge, the inserts can be removed either with the back removed (my preferred and always method) or while the back is still fitted to the camera (I don't like this method).
^^^ This, my bold + italic.
It sounds like the seller was aware of the broken back and is trying to shift responsibility for it on to you and your daughter trying to avoid a return and refund.
If it was bought from a dealer with a credit card or Ebay with PayPal you should get your or her money back quite easily.
:agree:

I see where this piece is now, but it's different in my back as there isn't the round section in the middle and the metal bit protruding above it. Maybe that's a 6x4.5 thing? I'd definitely be returning it or at least getting a partial refund for a replacement filmback.

View attachment 397224
Yes, that is the configuration in my 6x6 backs it seems to be fixed. Maybe the 6x45 back (and the 35mm backs (i'm guessing as I don't have one)) are made different?

Reactions: zx9
Yes, that is the configuration in my 6x6 backs it seems to be fixed. Maybe the 6x45 back (and the 35mm backs (i'm guessing as I don't have one)) are made different?
The backs did evolve as the cameras moved from SQ, SQA, SQAi , all are usable with any body but the way the light meter circuit connected to the back changes, possibly the construction detail inside the removable insert also evolved but that is not the point, it is broken.

The backs did evolve as the cameras moved from SQ, SQA, SQAi , all are usable with any body but the way the light meter circuit connected to the back changes, possibly the construction detail inside the removable insert also evolved but that is not the point, it is broken.
Agreed Keith, it is broken and that is the issue.
I have 3 different 6x6 backs of varying age, all have the same configuration as the one posted by Peter @Peter B the photo I posted was from my 6x45 back as that is the one Steve's @Sangoma daughter has.

Agreed Keith, it is broken and that is the issue.
I have 3 different 6x6 backs of varying age, all have the same configuration as the one posted by Peter @Peter B the photo I posted was from my 6x45 back as that is the one Steve's @Sangoma daughter has.
I was going to get my SQ bag out and compare the generations of back but if you have been there I won't. (y)

Had a good look this morning after my daughter put a film through it.
It does not touch on anything, I think the light seal suggestion must be the right purpose.

We both saw it under the spool, but it was upside down !

As soon as I took the spool out, it fell out. (My daughter had handed me the back as she could not see how to release the spool

As it does not come into contact with anything, it won't require much holding in place, so just busy with a scalpel cutting some Tesa to fix it in place, which will actually be stronger than the 1/8" of plastic that held it in the first place.

Then we will put another film through it, and develop the two, firstly that will confirm the camera operates as it should, and it will also show if light seal was its original purpose :)

I hope the seller will have the decency to offer her something towards another back, assuming the camera is working properly, we will then decide how we respond to his replies (if we get any more).

The fact that we both saw it behind the spool, and both thought it was some kind of spacer or guide, confirms to us that it was like that when we received it.

Good l
Had a good look this morning after my daughter put a film through it.
It does not touch on anything, I think the light seal suggestion must be the right purpose.

We both saw it under the spool, but it was upside down !

As soon as I took the spool out, it fell out. (My daughter had handed me the back as she could not see how to release the spool

As it does not come into contact with anything, it won't require much holding in place, so just busy with a scalpel cutting some Tesa to fix it in place, which will actually be stronger than the 1/8" of plastic that held it in the first place.

Then we will put another film through it, and develop the two, firstly that will confirm the camera operates as it should, and it will also show if light seal was its original purpose :)

I hope the seller will have the decency to offer her something towards another back, assuming the camera is working properly, we will then decide how we respond to his replies (if we get any more).

The fact that we both saw it behind the spool, and both thought it was some kind of spacer or guide, confirms to us that it was like that when we received it.
Good luck with it Steve, the Bronica SQ-A is a lovely camera to use. Hope it works out for you. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: zx9
Good l

uck with it Steve, the Bronica SQ-A is a lovely camera to use. Hope it works out for you. (y)
Thanks, it is my daughters, and she will stick with it :)

She's just busy using her lunch time to develop the film she exposed this morning.

Slightly off topic, was surprised this morning to see photos from her Yashica TLR she took handheld walking around Oxford.

This was an original
yash1.jpg

And this is the window with the orange rectangle around it
yash1w.jpg

Really surprised, almost as good as digital :)

Can confirm that the piece that broke off is a light seal, looking at the film she just developed, there is a leak in the corner of every shot.
Already loaded another film to test the "repair" but her lunch time is finished :)

Back