Zine Exchange VII - January to April 2024

Mines done, just needs printing.
Once again I will be going the ‘old skinflint’ route , all being done in-house ie spare room here at hill towers

Mines done, just needs printing.
Once again I will be going the ‘old skinflint’ route , all being done in-house ie spare room here at hill towers
I do think it makes your zines quite special Gary.

When do you guys plan sending out the zines?
Got mine last week so will probably post out this week. Am really pleased with it apart from a massive facepalm which no one will notice if I don't tell them. So I'm keeping quiet. Also, the paper weight is a bit flimsy. I'm fairly certain I said this last time, but every time it comes round to ordering, I just go up a weight from the default with the "it'll be fine" mentality then kick myself afterwards.

Excellent!
It looks like many of us have issues, but at the same time I’m pretty sure all the zines are going to be interesting however they’re presented. After all the most important part is the pictures.

Maybe should be in WAMT

Just checking my zine to make sure it’s all ready for me to print out…….
All prepared photos and finished booklet have disappeared, not in Affinity nowhere to be found on the IMac

Bummer

Good job I printed a test a few weeks ago , just waiting for a rainy day to re construct

Photocopy the test and send that - a proper zine!

I’ve got mine yesterday, I’ll post this week hopefully. It looks a bit crap but It’s done now so this one will count as experience for the next one…

I’ve got mine yesterday, I’ll post this week hopefully. It looks a bit crap but It’s done now so this one will count as experience for the next one…
I've found I get happier with mine the more I do. There are still niggles and things I wish I'd done differently, but as the old saying goes - practise makes perfect. I also find that having a ridiculous collection of other people's zines can be hugely inspiring and helpful. The creativity just in the small group of folks that do these exchanges here continues to astound me.

I also find that having a ridiculous collection of other people's zines can be hugely inspiring and helpful. The creativity just in the small group of folks that do these exchanges here continues to astound me.
Absolutely! I have to say that’s the main reason I wanted to join the Zine exchange.
There’s something about a printed image that is nowhere near the same experience as looking at a computer screen.

Absolutely! I have to say that’s the main reason I wanted to join the Zine exchange.
There’s something about a printed image that is nowhere near the same experience as looking at a computer screen.
I totally agree with you about the printed image. For me it's the tactile paper all the time. I worked for many years in one of the UK copyright libraries, and every year the equivalent of about half a mile length of new shelving had to be created for all the new incoming printed books/material

I have just received Harlequin565's Poultry in Motion - fantastic. The cover has lovely hand-feel - what is it?

Paul

ps - I'll be reusing the envelope!

Last edited:
Just received Harlequin565’s zine , will look in detail later
Thanks

I have just received Harlequin565's Poultry in Motion - fantastic. The cover has lovely hand-feel - what is it?

Paul

ps - I'll be reusing the envelope!

Cover is Mixam 'Soft Touch Lamination' - its an optional extra, I've used it on several zines and does give them a nice feel, doesn't mark as easily either!

1715606050700.png

Last edited:
Ian, I thoroughly enjoyed your zine! The front and back covers perfectly encapsulated the theme, and I was pleasantly surprised by the fresh concept inside. Each portrait, captured from various angles, was not only beautifully executed but also unique. Excellent work!
I’ve dropped my zines in the Postbox today, so it hopefully won’t take long to be sent.

Thank you, Ian, for 'Poultry In Motion'. It's a great idea and I do like your approach to each of the personalities who have been caught beautifully in their different poses. An excellent production throughout.

I've posted off my zines today, 2nd class mail.

Seeing as they have arrived, I thought I'd also add the preview link for those that missed out this time. Obviously it's a spoiler if you haven't had chance to look at it yet...

You don't have to do it if you don't want to, but for those that do, @flook999 posted how to do it... "ok found it, go into your account, click on the order number then scroll down to the preview button"

I keep trying to talk Mrs Flook into getting a few runner ducks
They're extremely messy & destructive!

But very entertaining. And the eggs are great for bakers too.IMG_2416.jpg

Hi Ian, I've received your zine too but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Thanks a lot.

Finalising mine, but just having issues with bleed/margins! Will post as soon as this is sorted.

My @Marino zine arrived this morning. I'm like a child on his birthday waiting for the postman.
Mine too. Right up my street. I think people are (generally) wonderful, and live varied and colourful lives despite the seeming normality of everyday life. Zines like this offer a bit of insight into a life you wouldn't ordinarily see. It's like an artfully curated family album boiled down into a handful of pages that has meaning to it. After thinking about the "when is a zine a book" discussion on here a while ago, I'd point to this as an example of how to take book material and make a zine with it. Loved it @Marino - if it was a first effort, you did a grand job.

Same feeling of a child waiting for post :D

And I had 2 delightful surprises today.
One is @Penlens zine! I didnt realise it was you, I had already gotten one of your zine off etsy when I was first researching zines. So that was nice.

I also got @Marino 's, it has a vintage nostalgic feel, and I really love the "Mediterranean" vibes, reminds me of home :)
Thank you all for taking part.

Will send mine as soon as its finished.

I got Julius’s zine yesterday and like the others I was like a child opening a Christmas present :banana: .
This is really fun, I’m def. in for the next zine!
Your zine, @Penlens, provided me with a glimpse into your perspective on the world. Each image resembled a painting, that captured my attention. You beautifully bestowed significance upon the often overlooked elements, revealing the poetry inherent in nature through your artistry. Excellent work!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Harlequin565. It’s my first zine, it’s obvious because I forgot to add any text whatsoever:geek: . To provide some context, the majority of the pictures in my zine are street photographs capturing strangers, with a few featuring individuals I'm acquainted with. My fascination lies in body language, as I believe it unveils insights into a person's character.
Thx for your kind words @Motaz ! Where is your home, I suspect we’re neighbours :)

I got Julius’s zine yesterday and like the others I was like a child opening a Christmas present :banana: .
This is really fun, I’m def. in for the next zine!
Your zine, @Penlens, provided me with a glimpse into your perspective on the world. Each image resembled a painting, that captured my attention. You beautifully bestowed significance upon the often overlooked elements, revealing the poetry inherent in nature through your artistry. Excellent work!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Harlequin565. It’s my first zine, it’s obvious because I forgot to add any text whatsoever:geek: . To provide some context, the majority of the pictures in my zine are street photographs capturing strangers, with a few featuring individuals I'm acquainted with. My fascination lies in body language, as I believe it unveils insights into a person's character.
Thx for your kind words @Motaz ! Where is your home, I suspect we’re neighbours :)
Home I'd Egypt, some of my best memories are from frequent trips to Alexandria, so, the other side of the sea!
I also got a chance now to see @Harlequin565 's zine. Magnificent choice of subject! I really like niche zine ideas! My nan also used to have chicken. And I used to think they're cute, until I discovered they would eat the eggs if we don't collect it early enough!

I received the glorious street photography zine of Marino this morning. It is a well printed and well executed sequence of monochrome images, each one empowered with a teasing narrative. Image, time and memory make for a potent mix in this wonderfully curated zine. Thank you.

Nice to see zines tricling through
I like this too. I think in previous ones everyone sent them out within a week of the post deadline being announced. This slower delivery feels nicer to me.

Having now submitted my zine to Maxim I did notice that the price has gone up 21% compared to the last time I did one (and that was only in December). It was totally like for like.

See post 86........

Something had gone wrong with my iCloud on Mac , all affinity docs and photos had disappeared.

Recreated but it was a faff, affinity kept crashing I am on version 10 so not sure if it's that, anyways all printed now and will be posted out today.

I must apologise for the quality control on some of the images it seems my double sided A4 sheets are not always A4!!!!!!

Will have to review next time to see what alternatives I have for home production

@Penlens zine received - Thanks Julius.

2 questions:
For the "sheep under the tree", did you comp it in, or did you just wait several days for the sheep to move to the perfect position? Or are you a sheep whisperer?
Really liked the hand-written note. How did you get the camera stamp on the front? Is it old-fashioned stamp+ink, or is it printed?

Really enjoyed reading the zine itself. A lot of images in there! A great example of how single images can be quite weak, however when you put them together they can tell a stronger story than any single photo can. Oddly - I just realised with you mentioning poetry in your afterword - that's a lot like words.

Thumbs up from me, and thanks for taking part!

Something had gone wrong with my iCloud on Mac , all affinity docs and photos had disappeared.

Recreated but it was a faff, affinity kept crashing I am on version 10 so not sure if it's that, anyways all printed now and will be posted out today.

I must apologise for the quality control on some of the images it seems my double sided A4 sheets are not always A4!!!!!!
Sounds like you've had a headache there Gary. Well done for persevering despite the setbacks!

@Penlens zine received - Thanks Julius.

2 questions:
For the "sheep under the tree", did you comp it in, or did you just wait several days for the sheep to move to the perfect position? Or are you a sheep whisperer?
Really liked the hand-written note. How did you get the camera stamp on the front? Is it old-fashioned stamp+ink, or is it printed?

Really enjoyed reading the zine itself. A lot of images in there! A great example of how single images can be quite weak, however when you put them together they can tell a stronger story than any single photo can. Oddly - I just realised with you mentioning poetry in your afterword - that's a lot like words.

Thumbs up from me, and thanks for taking part!
Thank you Ian, for your kind words. 1) The sheep was initially out of frame and so I waited for it to slowly munch its way into position. 2) I bought the rubber camera stamp from a physical store outside Eastbourne called Hobbycraft about five years ago. They have an online presence: www.hobbycraft.co.uk. Yes, there were some of my poems in the previous zine I worked on - 'this constant flux'.

Back