Ziploc bags

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, i'm looking for a large ziploc bag capable of carrying a canon 300f/2.8 is and a 1Div. Basically this is to be used when I come in from the cold,so the camera and lens can warm up without condensation forming inside and out on my gear. A secondary use is actually an inside one: we keep dart frogs and have a room dedicated to them which is warm and very humid,the frogs vivaria have even higher humidity,almost 100%RH!! So again the use of these bags to eradicate condensation risks is somewhat desirable,I spend a fair bit of time taking froggy pics and am getting concerned that these very high levels of humidity will harm my gear. I'd also add I'm planning on adding some form of dessicant such as silica,to the bag ,to help dry out a the gear as well.

I'm struggling to find a uk supplier for this product,I wondered if any members here already use this product for a similarly somewhat unusual reason and where you grabbed them from.

Thanks in advance for any help leads thoughts or otherwise

take care

Stu

I'd have thought the like of eBay or Amazon would be the best place to start

Cheers Rich ,yup exactly where I went,but unless I've missed something(possible;)) then the larger bags all come from the US,sure there are other makes,but quality is an unknown where as the brand name has a good reputation. I'd rather fork out a little bit more to have something that lasts if possible.

Thanks for the help though,cheers

Stu

I'm pretty sure the moisture in the cold air in the lens will still condense out inside the bag, you might want to put some silicagel pouches inside the bag.

You could try the large vacuum bags that they advertise for storing duvets & clothing in ?

Just to let you know the Operating Environment for the 1D MKIV is 0 – 45 °C, 85% or less humidity

costco sell them... "quart" or "gallon" sizes.
Hi Gavin ,thanks for this,I need to do some measuring ,they might just be big enough. It's coming back in the winter,with the 300 attached that is my concern there. But they should be fine for the frog room with the much smaller 100mm macro .

thanks again Gavin!!

Stu

I'm pretty sure the moisture in the cold air in the lens will still condense out inside the bag, you might want to put some silicagel pouches inside the bag.

Hi Wayne,it's a very valid point and in hand. Wayne, I was reading recently about some mishaps with cameras and water,damned if I know where though. Rice might be a good alternative regarding moisture absorbtion, used by a few folks it seems.
thanks muchly mate

Stu

Just to let you know the Operating Environment for the 1D MKIV is 0 – 45 °C, 85% or less humidity

Thanks Pete,rather ominous that!! I would think we would be ok and have been so far with my 550D,primarily because the camera doesn't actually go inside the vivs. We also run a dehumidifier in the room as a side note. But it's a good fact to know what canon recommend. Pete' it also raises an interesting question,as we do see pictures from rain forests in S America where our frogs live in the wild. This idea i'm musing might just have come from Glenn Bartlet's site actually although have a hunch there is also something actually in my 550D manual,regarding bringing the camera into a warm environment after a day's shooting in the winter,ie colder conditions. and steps to take,to alliviate problems. I must do some digging into weather sealing Glenn used to use a 7D,now the 7Dii(which I know has some really good weather sealing). I also have a friend whom is a cracking photographer whom has photographed wild frogs in Colombiaso i'll try and speak to him too.

Pete I'm quite surprised actually,devoid of the frog side of this topic,pretty much all out door togs cameras would be at risk here in the winter months,by being brought in from the cold into a much warmer house.I sort of expected some replies along the lines of "Oh I do this...use this product( polythene bag of sorts) and take these steps " but so far that post hasn't arrived.

thanks for taking the time Pete,much appreciation

take care

Stu

You could try the large vacuum bags that they advertise for storing duvets & clothing in ?

Hi Brian thanks for this,I have spotted them but maybe a bit on the large side for my purposes,definitely a possible option though

take care

Stu

Last edited:
As an alternative to silica bags I have a couple of BRNO dri+Cap's. They are basically end caps with a disposable silica bag inside them. I only use them when my long lens and camera are stored away for a long time. It allows the silica to directly withdraw moisture from inside the lens/camera. I don't use them out and about as it would mean splitting the camera and lens to fit them, but a for a few weeks storage they are good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRNO-Dehumi...8&qid=1440092620&sr=8-4&keywords=brno+dri+cap

thanks again Pete ,ha the story of my life I read your first two links ran off to do stuff and now another has appeared,I just can't keep up thanks again mate, really useful!!
many thanks
Stu

Last edited:
As an alternative to silica bags I have a couple of BRNO dri+Cap's. They are basically end caps with a disposable silica bag inside them. I only use them when my long lens and camera are stored away for a long time. It allows the silica to directly withdraw moisture from inside the lens/camera. I don't use them out and about as it would mean splitting the camera and lens to fit them, but a for a few weeks storage they are good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRNO-Dehumi...8&qid=1440092620&sr=8-4&keywords=brno+dri+cap

A useful little tip Rob,I was completely unaware of this product thank you! Hmmm new toy mate I can't seem to put it gown let alone store for months ,but one never knows with these things when they will come in handy,definitely one to look into for me
take care

Stu

In all my years of photography I've never warmed up a lens and camera this way.

I think you're asking for trouble doing it this way.
I would wrap the items in a towel until they warmed up to room temperature, and then make sure they are dry.

Hi Ken ,you will be far more experienced than I,can you elucidate what your concerns are for me please. To me logically if I put a camera in a sealed bag with say some silica, at the end of a winter shoot for example, and then bring it in the house,surely this would prevent water vapour in the air condensing on and in(plausibly to a lesser extent inside) the camera. I feel I'm missing something ,that you are concerned about.

Ken I've had my 550 for I guess around 5 years now and no problems what so ever,just concerns really,in both senarios I've illustrated. I'm really trying to up my game in all facets so taking better care of my equipment is part of this,thanks for the help

take care

Stu

Hi Ken ,you will be far more experienced than I,can you elucidate what your concerns are for me please. To me logically if I put a camera in a sealed bag with say some silica, at the end of a winter shoot for example, and then bring it in the house,surely this would prevent water vapour in the air condensing on and in(plausibly to a lesser extent inside) the camera. I feel I'm missing something ,that you are concerned about.

Ken I've had my 550 for I guess around 5 years now and no problems what so ever,just concerns really,in both senarios I've illustrated. I'm really trying to up my game in all facets so taking better care of my equipment is part of this,thanks for the help

take care

Stu
Wrapping a towel or something similar around the lens and camera lets them warm up gradually and stops condensation forming.
Any condensation will be absorbed by the towel.
I've skied and climbed in extreme conditions- down to -23C, and I'm still using some of my original equipment after almost 40 years.

Sealing a metal object surrounded by air in a plastic bag (even with a silica gel bag included) there will still be condensation forming in and on it.

Would leaving the camera/lens inside a closed camera bag for several hours do the same thing? I usually do that but take one of the memory cards out before putting it in the bag whilst still ok. I don't need it until the next trip out which is likely to be 8-10hrs later or the next day/week so the bag doesn't get opened whilst inside.

What type of towel do you use?

Ken, interesting this,had me musing since I first read your reply,almost the same question Rob ,but mine was how could a towell be improved on,hmmmm or am I overthinking this:rolleyes:. Ken one tries to read and learn and then try to put that into practice,your post has turned what i thought might be a good idea into a degree of uncertainty ,because I can find fault with your logic,and of course kiss(keep it simple me:)). Hmm one to sleep on
thanks both

Stu

Would leaving the camera/lens inside a closed camera bag for several hours do the same thing? I usually do that but take one of the memory cards out before putting it in the bag whilst still ok. I don't need it until the next trip out which is likely to be 8-10hrs later or the next day/week so the bag doesn't get opened whilst inside.

What type of towel do you use?
1 I wouldn't have thought a camera bag would be as good. Any moisture would be absorbed by the bag- damp and warmth are good for fungus. A bit extreme but you never know...
2 A Snoopy towel, to be honest. It's my go to Hitch Hikers Guide Towel that I use for hill walking.
Mainly white :)
A towel can be washed and dried easily.

I suspect an ultra absorbent modern towel would be better.

Last edited:
Back